Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the beginning of the S to S2 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 11:20 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the beginning of the S to S2 project

well i have begun to take my S engine out. i already had the head off and intake manifold, etc. today my brother and I removed the exhaust, alternator, a/c, and power steering pump. that is all we had time for today. and we are off to a good start. no broken tools and no stripped bolts. i realized today how much i enjoy wrenching away at cars. no matter how much cuts i have on my hand. more posts to follow in the coming days
Old 10-13-2003, 12:12 AM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looking forward to hearing more. Any chance of some pics?

Chris
Old 10-13-2003, 05:55 AM
tod84944
Drifting

I use to come to Holland a lot. Stayed at the Best Western next to the mall, the one with the bear wood carvings. Beautiful area. I will be coming back next summer. We will have to get together.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:48 AM
Lars944
Instructor

Nice to hear someone else is doing a 3.0l dropping during the winter. Im just waiting for the 968 to get here, then i'm on with the work to. Good Luck
Old 10-13-2003, 11:23 AM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

I just finished this swap on an '88 2-valve car. You are going to find the job much easier since you're starting with an S. The wiring changes will be a lot simpler, perhaps non-existent. I had to make a wiring harness for that igniter module in the driver's side front corner of the engine bay - the 8V car doesn't have this. And I had to make several changes to the wiring in the central electric module. Plus, the instrument harness/ECU harness connector is different. I made the S2 harness match my existing instrument harness. Otherwise, it was pretty straightforward. Even though the torque tubes are different part numbers, they are compatible so the engine will go right on to the S tube. I'm using my 8V radiator with no issues - but I'm in New England and my car doesn't have AC. Not sure about the S, but I had to block off one outlet on my radiator. Starter's the same, alternator's the same. You need the S2 throttle cable. I installed a '91 engine and for some reason the '91 S2 throttle cable is about an inch too long. My car also has cruise delete, so I might route the S2 cable through the other firewall hole in order to "use up" some of the extra length.

You'll need S2 heater hoses - the heater control is up on the front of the S2 engine, and it's back by the firewall on the 8-valve car. The evap system is also different on an S2 vs an 8-valve car. There's an electric valve in there that controls when the engine vacuum vents the canister. I think the S has the electric valve, so you're probably all set there too.

The vacuum system is simpler on the S2 vs the 8-valve car, the cat and exhaust are substantially different - the flanges on the S2 exhaust manifolds are oriented differently and the tubing is larger. Again, vs the 8V car.

I'm going to fabricate some way to pull trouble codes from the ECU - right now the extra wires are just taped off. Dunno if the S stores trouble codes?

Anyhow, the end result is pretty fun. It's not super super fast, but it's good and quick. You'll like the torque.

Bryan
Old 10-13-2003, 05:05 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

yeah i plan on getting pics soon enough. tod84944, what was the reason for your trip here? most visitors are here either for buisness or the beech.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:32 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

alright, second day complete. still no pics. but soon.

well today we just attacked it. we first removed the starter and slave cylinder. disconnected the drive shaft. we removed the cooling fans.

next we disconnected the calipers, and control arms. at which point we hooked up the engine hoist and lossened the motor mounts. we then lowered the cross member and then removed everything from under the car.

i disconnected the wire harness from the computer and pulled the harness out of there. we removed all misc. hoses and wires.

now the engine was ready to come out. we tried raising it out but to no avail. so we dropped it to the ground raised the car and slid the engine out.

alright, now i have removed my first engine.

total of about five hours were involved in the last two days. with the aid of my brother Kevin DuBois. however i probably slowed him down with my learning curve.

tomorrow, remove the clutch and clean out the engine bay. then wait for the new engine.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:35 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

sorry about my quick and too the point post. im not good with the details and i probably missed a few steps. the pics will speak more then my words.
oh and still no broken tools or bolts.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:18 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

third day. i didnt have much to do today. i started by removing the clutch which was very easy to my surprise. then i cleaned out the engine bay with mineral spirits. the last task was to clean up the oil puddles. but with all that done it is now time to wait for the arrival of my engine.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:28 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Show some pics!
Old 10-14-2003, 10:59 PM
jaibeiber
Pro

i dont have a digitil camera. i have to run through the roll and then get them developed. in time.

Quick Reply: the beginning of the S to S2 project