Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whatever you do, don't beef up the grounds

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:44 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Default Whatever you do, don't beef up the grounds

Well I re-did all my grounds everywhere while doing the heater core. I have a wire running directly to the two front frame rail clusters. A beefy cable going to the firewall.

Then I ran a wire direct to a mounting point in the dash, and from that I ran to all the important places (Fuse box, DME, gauge cluster)

Between that and what must be some other things, my car runs so freakling smooth now I'm convinced someone dropped in a Honda powerplant. I probably have a little more (1 or 2 hp) but it feels like less because it's so smooth and un-assuming. I'm really pissed now.

All that hunting at idle I had was kind of like a cam lope, and the slight roughness in acceleration gave the illusion of power.

I'm really pissed.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:38 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Old 10-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a "grounds up" FAQ? Or how to?

The WSM diagrams aren't terribly helpful (to me) and I don't know EXACTLY where all the supplemental "beefy" cables should be run/installed.

Further - I'm NOT replacing my heater core (yet!) so the whole car is not dissammbled - what CAN be done without turning the car inside out?

RK

PS. Whoo hoo - 100 posts! (it's a slipery slope it appears!)
Old 10-14-2003, 03:52 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sid, did overkill and actually didn't do it in the best way if he ran main ground from the engine block to the firewall. He followed his pre-85.5 wiring and should have just gone from the negative battery straight to the block as well as the battery to sheet metal boss by the battery.

Front of engine block to forward frame rails was a good idea, though.

Sid, why did you try and recreate the fix wheel? I've layed it out many times as well as offering the fix components for pretty cheap.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Ice. Matter of money really I want Your stuff, battery positive, and lights, and your prices are grat. But I've been short of being able to feed myself.

Most of what's on it now is stuff I had, my total investment is like $12.95. And some of the stuff I had around is gold plated as well, so it's not a bad setup.

Right now new seat covers are more important, and I want to get a set of cheap wheels to put snow tires on. But rest assured, you will recieve a check someday.

I've got to work on that damn hoseclamp thing to. Been trying to think of a way to do it.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sid, well if you are broke and using up whatever is laying around, then do it. You can always fix the short comings of the current wiring fix situation when you get off your financial backside on the ground.

I didn't know money was so tight so thought all your efforts were short sighted on how much $value$ you would have gotten.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:17 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Was that an intentional mixed metaphor?

Nope, I'd love to have your stuff. The ground cable is good, but standard autozone stuff. The + really needs replacing though.

Quick Reply: Whatever you do, don't beef up the grounds