Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say a prayer for Kenny Brack

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm just glad he didn't hit rear end first, as that IRL "attenuator" design has broken the backs of many a driver. Yes, the cars are relatively safe, as this accident testifies, but in their bull**** "cost cutting efforts" and NASCAR-ization of open wheel racing, the IRL dropped the ball by mandating the cheap-but-heavy, non-collapsing Emco gearbox. This isn't in the spirit of this thread, I know, but I am so thankful that it wasn't worse than it was, and I don't really need any more reasons to bash Tony George than I already have.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The body can withstand massive amounts of G's depending on the length of time. 30 G over 1/100th of a second can kill you much more easily than 30 G over 1/10 of a second. This is the reason that passengers often die in light plane crashes, their internal organs cant take the G force over that short a time period. It happened so fast that you almost couldnt tell what went wrong. I saw the little burst of flames (we assumed fuel cell) but it was the suspension sparking on the fencing. I saw them haul in the motor and saw Shecters car, it really didnt look that bad for an open wheel crash.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wade - when NASCAR will run a field of 30 cars with drivers who are qualified to drive then I might consider watching. As it is NASCAR cashes in on people ability to not be able to look away. We love the crashes, too bad people have to die so we can see them. Incompetant drivers and a field that is far too large have made NASCAR what it is. Trailer parks and WWF have made it popular. If Bud and Marlboro would sponsor a race along with the WWF, we might see every hick in America at the same venue!
Old 10-13-2003, 11:51 PM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wade B
I'm just glad he didn't hit rear end first, as that IRL "attenuator" design has broken the backs of many a driver. Yes, the cars are relatively safe, as this accident testifies, but in their bull**** "cost cutting efforts" and NASCAR-ization of open wheel racing, the IRL dropped the ball by mandating the cheap-but-heavy, non-collapsing Emco gearbox. This isn't in the spirit of this thread, I know, but I am so thankful that it wasn't worse than it was, and I don't really need any more reasons to bash Tony George than I already have.
Last time I checked, the IRL was running a Xtrac 295 transmission that was designed to be shorter in order to have a larger energy dissipating crush zone.

In terms of g-forces... I believe that one of the WRC Mitsubishi Evo cars experienced 77G's of deceleration during a crash in the 2002 Australian rally when it struck a tree head on. The impact ripped the engine out and threw it nearly 100 yds.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:20 AM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

924Superwagen, that may be so on the tranny, as I haven't kept up on the open wheel equipment as much since the "split", but I assume they still know they had a problem, because if you look at the cars, they still have that chintzy attenuator pad hanging off the back of the tranny. And this is supposed to help dissipate 50+ g?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:28 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Matt H
The body can withstand massive amounts of G's depending on the length of time. 30 G over 1/100th of a second can kill you much more easily than 30 G over 1/10 of a second. This is the reason that passengers often die in light plane crashes, their internal organs cant take the G force over that short a time period. It happened so fast that you almost couldnt tell what went wrong. I saw the little burst of flames (we assumed fuel cell) but it was the suspension sparking on the fencing. I saw them haul in the motor and saw Shecters car, it really didnt look that bad for an open wheel crash.

I dont understand, the body can take acceleration 30 times that of gravity for 1/100th of a second but not for 1/10 of a second? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:44 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't see the accident but the post reminded me of Greg Moore. Thank god Kenny is ok. My prayers are with him and his family.
Raj

Quick Reply: Say a prayer for Kenny Brack