Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

next aftermarket decision for my 944

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 01:26 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default next aftermarket decision for my 944

i need help with this...

the engine is done and I will soon put the SC on it....

step 1 is out of the way...

but now i'm having trouble with step 2....do i go with interior modifications, exterior modifications or do I just still stick with the enigne and keep going till i have nothing left to do with it?

space
Old 10-09-2003, 01:44 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I'd do to the interior is get a 930S steering wheel!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:48 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Suspension.

Brakes.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Agree witih SoCal.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:38 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

i want to do brakes, but then i'll have to do wheels also.......

i really like to get better looks out of it first....i htink the body is somewhat rough and needs repainted and if i get it repaited, i'll get a body kit for it...

anyhow, what kind of suspension should i get....and also, can i just buy the brakes, put them on and there i go or do i have to buy other stuff...

thanks,
space
Old 10-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Crippler
Instructor

I just turbocharged my N/A this summer, Trust me on this you are going to want new suspension.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:15 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

I would definitely say suspension first, then brakes. The NA brakes aren't bad, but they were designed to stop 150bhp, not the 200+ of a SC'd engine.

I understand wanting the car to look great though. I'd say just go with some basic suspension mods, nothing drastic though, and then maybe look the car a little better. It'll be easier to feel proud of a nice, shiney Porsche with a great engine as opposed to a dull, scratched, dented Porsche with a great engine.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:33 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

ok....where can i get upgraded aftermarket brakes that will bolt right on....if they wont bold right on, what do i need to make them work? this is a 86 n/a 944

suspension.....what would be a good type to go with?

thanks,
space
Old 10-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, you know....

Was actually just having a discussion with Jason about these new adaptors from Racer's Edge that allow you to use the S4 brakes (as on 951S) or Big Reds on the 944na. Adaptors are for the fronts only - rears do not need them. Either find a donor car or stroke a large check for new S4 or Big Red hardware. With all the parts in hand, they will bolt right on.

If you suffer from sticker shock, consider better pads... unless you doing multiple stops from 130, the stock brakes with good pads and fluid are pretty acceptable. Very low on the Bling scale though.

About the suspension... with 656 posts here I think you may have seen a few posts about your options...

Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:22 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Suspension: Bushings, shocks, ball joints, tie rod ends, springs, sway bars, wheel bearings, CV joints.

Check everything replace as necessary.

Get a good alignment.

Brakes: As Skip said. Also check the rotors and replace as necessary.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:43 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

spacecowboy
sent you a PM
Old 10-10-2003, 01:50 AM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

with 656 post, you be surprise on how many suspension post i have read....

my favoritive quote...contempt prior to investagation will leave a man in everlasting ignorence.....(correct spelling....not a english pro...)

got your pm mike....thanks...

space
Old 10-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

you sure you haven't read anything about suspension? i know i have read alot.

for my brakes, i wanted something that would bolt right up too. i am going with new zimmerman cross drilled rotors ( look really nice behind 968 rims) and also pagid orange brake pads.

as far as easy suspension bolt ons. i don't think just new springs would do the trick, and i don't know if you really need a complete coil over kit either. Probably koni yellows all around with turbo springs would do the trick.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:09 AM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in the middle of a brake/suspension upgrade. I bought used Turbo Struts and followed the Paragon instructions for the Koni insert mod, combined with Weltmiester 250lb springs. I've got new control arms, with Weltmiester poly bushings, new ball joints and new tie rods. I'm in the process of replacing the bearings on some used Turbo hubs/spindles, and then I'll rework the turbo calipers that came with them. I've got new x-drilled zimmermans to go behind the 968 rims on the way, but I haven't bought the pads yet. I had read somewhere that you shouldn't use carbon pads with drilled rotors, Is that right? On the OBTW side, when I pulled back the rubber boot on the right tie rod, oil gushed out. Is that a blown steering rack seal? Is it had to R&R?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what specifically is bad about carbon (carbon/kevlar?) pads on drilled rotors other than drilled rotors not being all they're "cracked" up to be (yuck). I can't see that they would be any harder on the rotors, or the rotors harder on the pads, than any other combination.

The fluid coming out of the boot is definitely a leaking PS rack seal. That boot is to keep out dust and dirt, not to hold fluid... though, it'll hold about 1/2 litre A proper seal replacement and general rack overhaul is not normally something a shadetree could or should do, though there are kits available for those feeling the urge. Check the archives here, or Google "944 steering rack rebuild".

Alternatively, you can send yours out. I had mine done by Markus Blaszak many years ago and it's still doing great! Highly recommended!

http://www.blaszakprecision.com/

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: next aftermarket decision for my 944