Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3D Printing 924 & 944 Parts - Development and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Dear Michael: I ponied up to Jaeger engineering for my delrin TT inserts. They ran about 100 or so for all four. They have to be installed with the large lip all facing the same way. This prevents the driveshaft from popping out the insert accidentally while doing the drivesahft install..I have the approximate bearing distances one has to use when setting up the TT. Constatine sent it to me. My garage/workspace has recently been totally filled with our 3rd car, which I hope to get backon the road next week. THEN I can finish (finally) my TT and start getting that back into the car. If you are contemplating this job, let me know, and I'll try to help via long distance.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made this a little while back to fit larger 4x6 speakers into my front doors. It sits behind the factory cover and looks pretty stock.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1132372

Old 03-29-2016, 11:48 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

I was thinking a plug for the cam gear sight hole might be nice too, but you can pick those up for like $1.99 from even Lindsey Racing, so I think it would be hard to compete. But if they ever go NLA.......

But no one I've seen is making colored ones...soo... that might be a market.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:12 PM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hoses

If you are successful at making hoses here is one: 944.107.187.02. Pelican has them for around $240. My car doesn't seem to need a new one yet. The original is still on there and holding pressure (or is it vacuum?) but it is getting old. Maybe we can substitute some other hose for this outrageously expensive freak-hose, IDK.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:17 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by nihil
Danke. I'll post the models after I make a couple tweaks. Right now the base is a bit thick and the speaker grille contacts the side of the dash. Not full-on squish, but enough that I want to change it. I'll also do some larger more generic attachments that will fit more cups/containers.

These were designed around one particular cup, but that's one of the many great things about additive manufacturing. You can design the -exact- part you want/need for a given situation.
Just wondering, why wouldn't you print the speaker grill too?
I would gladly test one for you.
Maybe you guys could make some 944 sunglasses to wear while driving!

Here's a few photos of what we did:

Print build on the computer before being sent to the machine. I had to fit as many as I could per build which required doing the placement by hand which is not a fun task (using Geomagic Freeform with a Phantom Haptic).
How about hooking a brother up with some shades..

Last edited by racerbvd; 03-30-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:42 PM
nihil
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbvd
Just wondering, why wouldn't you print the speaker grill too?
I would gladly test one for you.
I pondered doing just that, but it didn't make much sense as I have functional and decent looking grilles already. That, and the next revision of these will also function as spacers so I can fit deeper speakers, meaning the grille and base will need to be separate anyway.

So, notes for next revision of the high performance cup holder:
- Acts as spacer to fit deeper speakers
- Fold down/out holder rather than the dovetail arrangement
- Thinner profile to avoid contact with side of dash
- Lower bottom section to allow for taller cups
- Holder spaced out from door a bit more to allow for wider cups
- Revised lashing retainer for increased container retention during high G cornering

Any other thoughts or requests?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Not sure how capable the 3D printer materials are structurally, but a couple of other ideas...

Custom Wheel Centercaps?
Club Sport style center console arm rest?
Rear Wiper Delete plug?
Something to replace the ashtray?
Seat belt custom cover/rosette?
Custom plug wire holders?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 PM
nihil
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Not sure how capable the 3D printer materials are structurally, but a couple of other ideas...

Custom Wheel Centercaps?
Already did that one. All parametric in OpenSCAD so you can plug in measurements from whatever wheel, export to STL and print:

Rear Wiper Delete plug?
Also did parametric body plug in similar fashion (shown on W460 spare tire mount holes):

And I also did a wheel and tire simulator:
Old 03-29-2016, 10:02 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Cell holder for the ashtray? Would it fit? I'll have to look!
Old 03-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I did a cup holder and knock counter in lieu of the ashtray a while back, but the cup kind of gets in the way of the gear shifter and the plastic warped in the sun.... But still kind of cool.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2016, 12:26 AM
KVDR
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Routing silicone hoses - I needed a 3/4" OD long-radius 90° elbow to complete the AOS to J-Boot line.

Printed using Ninja Semi-Flex.

I'm not sure what's readily available out there - I didn't see anything on Summit Racing or eBay, so I decided to print what I needed.

This line will be under vacuum so I'm comfortable using a printed part. I'll be able to see how it holds up... but eventually I will replace it with a stainless-steel butt-weld style elbow (when I find one).

STL file attached - Elbow wall thickness is 2.4mm - For printing I used 1.2mm outer wall thickness with 0.6mm nozzle which results in 100% fill with 4 passes per layer. Orient model as above with support (may need to tweak settings) and it should print cleanly (No overhangs >45°).
Attached Files
File Type: rar
944-AOS-Jboot-elbow.rar (67.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:37 AM
KVDR
Pro

TWO FOR ONE GROMMET!

I originally designed this grommet to secure the new brake lines to the struts.

I needed a larger hole to run silicone vacuum line to the vac canister. Fortunately the exact same grommet works for both!

Printed grommet shown with original and new silicone hose for reference. These were designed with a strip of material around the outside for support - best removed by peeling it off using needle-nose plyers.

STL File attached - I printed using NinjaFlex.
Attached Files
File Type: rar
944-brake-line-bushing3.rar (21.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:41 AM
KVDR
Pro

Originally Posted by 88Silver924S
If you are successful at making hoses here is one: 944.107.187.02. Pelican has them for around $240. My car doesn't seem to need a new one yet. The original is still on there and holding pressure (or is it vacuum?) but it is getting old. Maybe we can substitute some other hose for this outrageously expensive freak-hose, IDK.
This is the elbow hose on top of the AOS? Yeah, vacuum. If so, Lindsey Racing sells silicone versions for much less than $240.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:44 AM
KVDR
Pro

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I was thinking a plug for the cam gear sight hole might be nice too, but you can pick those up for like $1.99 from even Lindsey Racing, so I think it would be hard to compete. But if they ever go NLA.......

But no one I've seen is making colored ones...soo... that might be a market.
I can print red or blue versions of this plug in Ninjaflex if people are interested. $10 USD for a pair (2), shipped.

Last edited by KVDR; 03-30-2016 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Buy 1 get 1 free
Old 03-30-2016, 12:51 AM
KVDR
Pro

Custom Wheel Centercaps?
Club Sport style center console arm rest?
Rear Wiper Delete plug?
Something to replace the ashtray?
Seat belt custom cover/rosette?
Custom plug wire holders?
Rear wiper delete plug needs to be UV resistant material - otherwise this should be doable. Maybe printed ABS with a UV resistant coating applied.

For custom plug wire holders I'd use Ninja Semi-Flex - it would be ideal for strength with a bit of give. What would people be looking for - different geometries or just color options?

Quick Reply: 3D Printing 924 & 944 Parts - Development and Discussion