Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get hardware without spending a fortune

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003 | 04:27 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Default Where to get hardware without spending a fortune

Looking for a cheaper alternative then going to the dealer for bolts, nuts, etc. The local P dealer wants $100 for about a dozen bolts and locking nuts. I don’t think the local hardware store will be same grade and quality. Any suggestions???
Old 10-03-2003 | 04:30 PM
FormulaOne10
Rennlist Member

Try McMaster Carr Catalog, they have just about everything, including a very wide range of bolts, washers, fasteners, etc. I use them at work all the time.
Old 10-03-2003 | 04:39 PM
odie
Instructor

grade 8 is grade 8. there is nothing magical about Porsche brand bolts. Just the fancy package and high price.

Porsche don't make a single nut or bolt. They buy them from the same suppliers who supply BMW, Benz, Yugo, Fiat, etc, and any other industrial customer.

Nut and bolt grades are industry standards.

Now, there ARE different styles and designs off nut and bolts for any given grade. As long as it's the same design/style and grade, who cares what "brand" it is.
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:22 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Try McMaster Carr Catalog, they have just about everything, including a very wide range of bolts, washers, fasteners, etc. I use them at work all the time.
Thanks. Seems like they have a wide variety, but it looks like you need to buy per package, since they don’t have prices listed individually.

grade 8 is grade 8. there is nothing magical about Porsche brand bolts. Just the fancy package and high price.

Porsche don't make a single nut or bolt. They buy them from the same suppliers who supply BMW, Benz, Yugo, Fiat, etc, and any other industrial customer.

Nut and bolt grades are industry standards.

Now, there ARE different styles and designs off nut and bolts for any given grade. As long as it's the same design/style and grade, who cares what "brand" it is.

Absolutely. Basically, I’m just looking for some suppliers that would carry all of the grades and sizes we need for the 944. Also how can you tell the grade of the bolt? I know there are markings on the bolt head, but I never paid much attention to what they represented?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

When doing my rebuild the local hardware store had most of what I needed, so it's worth a check.
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:34 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Maybe I'll try HomeDepo first.
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:38 PM
odie
Instructor

Go to a bolt or fastener store. usually in the industrial areas of town. they will have all sizes, style and grades. They can l;ook at your bolt and tell you exactly what it is.

SAE Grade 8 usually has 6 marks on the head. Metric I'm not too sure about.

But any engine, chassis, suspension, etc application you should probably use grade 8.
Old 10-03-2003 | 05:39 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Originally posted by Wormhole

I know there are markings on the bolt head, but I never paid much attention to what they represented?

Thanks
Hope this site helps....

http://www.zerofast.com/markings.htm
Old 10-03-2003 | 06:27 PM
dmsog
Instructor

Originally posted by Wormhole
Maybe I'll try HomeDepo first.
I'm begging you....don't use Home Depot hardware on your car. A good part of their hardware is cheap imported stuff that doesn't even have grade markings on their heads. I will liken their hardware to Grade 2.....grade 5 is the minimum for use anywhere on any car.

Doug
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:41 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

I see you're in NY....are you in the metro area or up-state?

If Metro area I can give you a few names of industrial hardware supplies ( mostly in NJ)....

and I agree...NO HOME DEPOT!

regards

J
Old 10-03-2003 | 07:42 PM
cambria
Racer

If you want original bolts, nuts washers etc. try Pellican Parts. They carry the yellow cad fasteners made by Wurth. I have been chasing yellow cad bolts for about a year and have found just about everyone carries grade 8.8 in zink but not yellow cad. I did find some yellow cad 8.8 at Pep Boys, but not much of a variety in metric.
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:07 PM
DAR951
Pro

Their web site is a nightmare (www.mdmetric.com) but these guys have it all (incl. yellow cad and titanium) and will sell in small quantities at reasonable prices.
Old 10-03-2003 | 09:32 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Hope this site helps....
Yes, thats a big help

I see you're in NY....are you in the metro area or up-state?

If Metro area I can give you a few names of industrial hardware supplies ( mostly in NJ)....

and I agree...NO HOME DEPOT!
Yes, I'm in the metro area, Queens actually. Some industrial suppliers would be appreciated.

Okay, Home Depot is out.

If you want original bolts, nuts washers etc. try Pellican Parts. They carry the yellow cad fasteners made by Wurth. I have been chasing yellow cad bolts for about a year and have found just about everyone carries grade 8.8 in zink but not yellow cad. I did find some yellow cad 8.8 at Pep Boys, but not much of a variety in metric.
I checked Pellican Parts, cheaper then the dealer, but still seems like an inflated price.

Their web site is a nightmare (www.mdmetric.com) but these guys have it all (incl. yellow cad and titanium) and will sell in small quantities at reasonable prices.
I'll have to call them, their web site is not very user friendly.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-03-2003 | 09:58 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I used to go to a industrial fastener place in Toronto when I was restoring bikes a lot. Lots of beautiful stainless stuff, and half the time they'd give it to me free rather than write up an invoice/

Quick Reply: Where to get hardware without spending a fortune