Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conclusion to The Motor Mount Mystery ( Vertex Info )

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003 | 10:05 PM
Sach951
Pro

Default Conclusion to The Motor Mount Mystery ( Vertex Info )

Before me sit a pair of 'OEM' motor mounts from Vertex, along with a set of OEM mounts from Paragon.

The mounts that Vertex advertises as 'OEM', and insists on the phone that they are what you would receive from Porsche, _ARE UNQUESTIONABLY NOT OEM_, though they are considerably better visual replicas than the other variety of Aftermarket OEM-replica motor mounts out there. Their feel is also very different.

Do _NOT_ be fooled, as they will tell you they are OEM, and _WILL NOT_ provide you with further information as to the mounts that they sell or the source thereof.

As promised, I will upload side by side pictures later.

I would like to say aside from this issue I have had a fairly posotive experience with Vertex. The first person to whom I spoke when placing the order was wonderfully helpful and even called me on two occasions to update me as to the status of my order and verification thereof. A+ for the first part. Failing grade for whatever part of the company it was that I reached when inquiring as to the 'OEM'ness of their mounts. I shall be attempting to return them.

Also, thank you Paragon for being wonderful as well

Once again, _ DO NOT _ buy the 'OEM' mounts from Vertex, as they _ARE NOT OEM_.

Best Wishes,
Sach
Old 10-02-2003 | 11:21 PM
Flight_951
Pro

I bought Vertex's "OEM" plug wires for my old 944S a few years ago. For some reason they were each about 4 inches too long, which looked lousy. I called and asked them about it and heard a big excuse about "OEM" vs. "OE". Give me a break... Needless to say, I've spent many thousands of $ on my new 951 but not another penny at Vertex.
Old 10-02-2003 | 11:31 PM
GTZ
Instructor

called and asked them about it and heard a big excuse about "OEM" vs. "OE". Give me a break...
Must have been the same person that told me that I NEED a rubber center clutch disk instead of the kit that THEY sold me. Oh and he happens to have one for $800 dollars. I'll say it again, how do these people stay in business.
BTW if you really want to hear a Vertex horror story do some digging at Clarks Garage forum.

Randy
Old 10-02-2003 | 11:38 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

They are one of the biggest bait and switch companies out there. I got bit once (3 years ago) and have spent plenty of money elsewhere also.
Old 10-02-2003 | 11:47 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

So what about hatch pins and such? I need to fix my hatch, got the pins, but need other stuff.

If not them who else carries them?

Skip? I looked but didn't see anything.
Old 10-02-2003 | 11:55 PM
Sach951
Pro

Give Paragon a call Sid. I've ordered a few things from them that were not listed on their site I believe. A part number helps, yet they seem to be armed with PET, and hence the lack thereof shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good Luck,
Sach
Old 10-03-2003 | 12:41 AM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the heads-up. I was reading all the back & forth about this and I'm going to need new engine mounts for my 944S soon! I'm going with OEM ( not Vertex).
Old 10-03-2003 | 12:51 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Paragon, and yes, they can get about anything, even if it's not on their site.
Old 10-03-2003 | 01:12 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

If you are looking for items for your hatch, or any other part for your 944, look here.

http://www.944racing.com/Search/View...earchType=Main

If you don't see it, put in a part request.
Old 10-03-2003 | 01:13 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

No need to recomend Parragon to me. About 80% of the moneu I've spent on my car has been through them.

Great service etc.

I'll call them tomorow.
Old 10-03-2003 | 01:23 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Working in the auto industry, I want to point out what "oem" actually does mean. First I also ordered the oem mounts from vertex. I don't drive me car everyday and the vibration is already back. I also orderd the phony plug wires also, they did have oem boots on them with the part # scracped off. OEM of course stands for original equipment manufacturer. The term means as it sounds, it is the orignal manufacturer of the part.( they probley ordered it from the same manufacturer as Porsche). Just because they are made by the same company dosen't mean that they are to the same standards. To give you a exampe, the windshields that we make to send to the assemly plants, call for a lot tighter quality than the ones ordered by afermarket suppliers, ( the folks that replace busted windsheilds). I'm sure Vertex is ordering the mounts from the OEM, but they are probley toatally different desing specs internally. They would have to be so they wounldn't not be treading on copy right laws with Porsche, if Posrsche has a copy right on the mounts. To sum it up, they are not doing anything illegal, they are just not telling the whole truth.
Old 10-03-2003 | 01:51 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

While that explanation may work in many cases, where the OEM part is inferior to the OE part, I am quite sure this is not the case with 944 motor mounts. AFAIK, there is one company that makes the OE mounts, only. There are 1-2 others who make aftermarket mounts. They are not OE, nor are they OEM. "There can be only one"

Also, I see often that the OEM will produce a better than original part over time. They will and do use advances in technology to update auto parts - and, pass on the additional cost to consumers. The 993 DME relay is an example. On the other side of the spectrum is a non-OEM company producing a far superior than original part, usually at a greater cost but not always.

Skip
Old 10-03-2003 | 02:06 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Paragon can get stuff that isn't on their website for you. I needed a clutch fork last winter, and Jason tracked one down for me, at a cheaper price than any other site listed.
Old 10-03-2003 | 02:23 AM
GTZ
Instructor

In my case they sold me a part that flat does not work, and never will. AND they advertised it as one thing, when it arrived it was not as advertised and from what I can tell it is not from the manufacturer that they said it was from. As far as I'm concerned that is far from "not telling the whole truth" and could be illegal.

Randy
Old 10-03-2003 | 08:31 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Please post a side by side pic when you get a chance. I ignorantly ordered a pair of mounts from Vertex thinking somehow I was getting a deal. Let's see how long these, if not high quality OEM, parts last.

Quick Reply: Conclusion to The Motor Mount Mystery ( Vertex Info )