Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backyard engineering: How to fit an early intake to a late car

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Backyard engineering: How to fit an early intake to a late car

Here is my problem, I foolishly bought a new intake manifold on Ebay without checking whether it was an early or late intake. I sort of assumed the ports on the intake would be the same diameter; I was wrong.

I deleted all the emissions equipment from my car as well as the FPD and the HCV vacuum lines; so on top of trying to figure that out, I'm also trying to reroute all my vacuum lines and see what needs to be capped off, ect. The small lines will be easy. From the throttle body nipple to the FPR, done.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is the large vacuum hoses, everything that isnt a little 3mm line. The AOS, ISV, ect.

Here is a picture of what I have right now:

The only vacuum accessories I'll be running under the hood are the FPR, the AOS, The brake booster and (hopefully) the ISV. The intake manifold has 2 ports in it, and the J boot also has 2 ports. I seem to be missing the fitting that allows the hose running from the ISV to connect to the J boot. Would anyone have a picture of where that larger diameter hose meets the J boot?

Anyone have any creative ideas? It really isnt a big deal but while I'm sitting here thinking about it I thought I'd post this as food for thought.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 01-14-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 508 Posts

I replaced all those under manifold hoses with stuff off the shelf/roll at my auto store a few months ago.

Barbs and clamps...

Also you have the booster hose on the wrong part of the "Y"
Old 01-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Also you have the booster hose on the wrong part of the "Y"

Not me, Pedro the previous owner

On to the write up.

Here is what I ended up doing. It actually worked out quite well.

For starters, I deleted the brake venturi "Y" thingy, I am going to run the brake booster hose directly into the intake with a 3mm restrictor inline.

The AOS will hook up like normal, but I'll need to block off the extra barb on the line marked with black tape. On a stock car, that would go to the emissions equipment.

The ISV will also fit with some clever hose sizing (hose inside a hose), but again one of the ports marked in black tape will need to be blocked off from the 3 way split because the Venturi tube is deleted and the brake booster hose has been rerouted.

The forward port in front of the throttle blade on the throttle body will also be blocked off.

And the complete routing revealed:

Other than the above, there is just a vacuum line running from the brake booster to the brake booster vacuum reseviour, and then a single line running from the throttle body 3mm port to the FPR. That is it. Nice and clean. The bunny ear fitting on the back of the cylinder head will simply be left with both fittings uncapped, since it wont affect anything.

There you have it, early intake on a late car, keeping use of the ISV + simplified vacuum system, for the grand total of zero dollars besides the intake.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:05 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

You got hose in different area codes.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:09 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by odonnell
You got hose in different area codes.
You know how I do
Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 508 Posts

go buy a vacuum cap kit from auto store, tape wont last.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

it was just to mark them while i was brainstorming. they are capped off
Old 01-17-2016, 05:34 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

On the smaller vacuum ports, use the vinyl caps rather than the rubber ones.. The rubber ones won't last. The vinyl are multicolored. Dorman part #'s for all... BTW... you might want to zip-tie the caps once they are on...:>))!

Quick Reply: Backyard engineering: How to fit an early intake to a late car