Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy idea

So I'm going to buy this 924 race car but with no motor would a 928s engine work?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:54 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

In short, no, it will not physically fit. With enough free time and fabrication skill you could make anything fit but who has time/energy for that. If you want a burly V8, there's a certain guy on here with a hot blonde as his avatar picture who should be chiming in any minute now...
Old 12-11-2015, 02:15 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by odonnell
In short, no, it will not physically fit. With enough free time and fabrication skill you could make anything fit but who has time/energy for that. If you want a burly V8, there's a certain guy on here with a hot blonde as his avatar picture who should be chiming in any minute now...
haha damn well Wat about cutting the inner fenders
Old 12-11-2015, 02:34 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Ah yes. See my first acronym. If that's what you want then do it. I like the idea. But I would do as much research and measuring items so you have a real good idea of what needs to be done to accomplish that task. It will probably cost a lot more then your car cost you. So consider all your options first as well as your bank account. Your fender wells will probably need to be removed, the bell housing/torque tube would need to be altered, pretty much everything under the hood. Suspention will need to be adjusted for more wieght in the front. The whole fuel system upgraded and or modified. How to route the exhaust. The list ends when it's running and done thou. But I would realy wiegh out your options. A turbo engine can be made to keep up with a NA v8 if not pass it, and fits better in the engine bay. So weigh out all the costs and benefits is my suggestion.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:05 AM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Ah yes. See my first acronym. If that's what you want then do it. I like the idea. But I would do as much research and measuring items so you have a real good idea of what needs to be done to accomplish that task. It will probably cost a lot more then your car cost you. So consider all your options first as well as your bank account. Your fender wells will probably need to be removed, the bell housing/torque tube would need to be altered, pretty much everything under the hood. Suspention will need to be adjusted for more wieght in the front. The whole fuel system upgraded and or modified. How to route the exhaust. The list ends when it's running and done thou. But I would realy wiegh out your options. A turbo engine can be made to keep up with a NA v8 if not pass it, and fits better in the engine bay. So weigh out all the costs and benefits is my suggestion.
where can I find a 924 turbo Motor
Old 12-11-2015, 04:14 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

he meant a 951 motor. A decent 951 motor is 2k + you'll need a bunch of other parts. All in, there is no real way you'd be able to turbo an N/A car for less than 4-5k MINIMUM. You'll have 4k+ just getting a used motor and transmission alone. More realistic is a 6k-7k budget it your lucky, which as you'll notice is the admission cost to a cheap 951...you do the math. Buy a 951.

Copy and pasted from a post I made almost 2 years ago...

It's much easier (and much more power potential) to just do a proper 951 engine swap. I've got a 951 swapped 944S, PM me if you want more details on the build and the process ie whats needed and such. Its a much more involved process than you probably think. By the time you assemble all the parts to properly turbo your high-comp N/A motor you'll be out as much money as a 951 swap and it will make less power. The basic gist of it is this:

you'll need at a minimum (I'm sure i'm going to leave a few things out)

951 header
951 crossover
951 downpipe
a KKK turbo
951 driver side motor mount
951 oil pan and oil pickup
951 upper balance shaft housing (pain to swap because its machined to the block, required because its also the oil feed for the turbo)
all the water crossover stuff to properly run water to the turbo
951 injectors
951 DME
951 AFM
951 engine harness
951 fuel rail
951 intake
951 AOS
951 intercooler and boost pipes
a new fuel pressure regulator
a wastegate
951 BOV
a boost controller
951 throttle body
951 TPS
a new DP-back exhaust unless you want to strangle the motor with the restrictive (for a turbo) factory N/A pieces

After all that you'll be as fast (maybe) as a stock 951 because the stock N/A clutch wont take much more than stock 951 power levels. If you want more power, you need additional parts such as:

951 bellhousing
951 clutch components (fork, PP, clutch disk, ect)
a 951 trans is a really good idea, the n/a diffs are made of glass
a way to tune the damn thing
boost/vac and AFR gauges are pretty much a must
wider wheels so you are not constantly

if you're running more than ~10ish lbs on an n/a motor you better be running E85. to do that correctly you'll need:

Bigger, non factory injectors
a chip designed for E85, or preferably a MAF or stand alone ecu
new fuel lines are a great idea

oh yeah and after all that you start making some power, you'll realize the stock n/a brakes leave a lot to be desired

I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg, its a slippery slope, hence the common "sell the NA and buy a turbo" comments here.

And all that was just talking about turboing an NA 944, you'll need even more parts + work to get a 951 motor into a 924 and some things that were optional on an NA will be required on a 924. Example, you'll NEED to upgrade the suspension and brakes.

Also, don't take this wrong but you seem kind of young and inexperienced/don't really know what you're doing. I honestly think a project of this caliber is over your head. We were all there once, so I'm not ragging on you but this sort of project is for someone with a lot more experience than you seem to have. It's substantially more work than you realize, ask me how I know..
Old 12-11-2015, 04:15 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

You have to search for one, but it doesn't have to be a 924 turbo engine. You can install a 2.5 turbo or even put a 968 engine swap in that chassis with all the 944 or 968 drivetrain parts if you wanted. I would take some time to research what you would need. I seen that a lot of 924 parts are unavailable as well as many 944/951 parts, so keep that in mind. I think a 968 engine would do that car some justice, but that's just me.

Edit: or do exactly what is listed above, sense the homework is done.
And you may want to look over this link:
http://www.924.org/techsection/Suspe...reparation.htm

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 12-11-2015 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:44 AM
924srr27l
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chanothemekhanik
So I'm going to buy this 924 race car but with no motor would a 928s engine work?
I loved a 928s2 I had...

And I've often thought and wondered what the V8 would be like in a 924 / 944

But look at this lot!

It would be for sure one hell of a Project to it,

If you were totally hell bent on the idea, it's Probably best to cut off the whole front end and fabricate a new frame!

So up to you and your time and budget, you can see it's so much
easier to launch any 924 / 944 / 968 Engine in and tune that to get 300+bhp

But I know........... it's not the same noise as the V8 !

I've recently thought more about fitting a flat 6 in the rear !

R
Old 12-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Originally Posted by odonnell
Hot blonde if you want to go that route:
Larts and odurandina are best friends. Realy funny threads if you look at the older posts. Lart loves Chevy V8's in these cars. Just don't ask Lart to sell Chevy parts for your Porsche. Not a good idea.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:57 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Install stock engne and convert it to run on wood: http://www.odditycentral.com/auto/uk...ey-on-gas.html
Old 12-11-2015, 07:05 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen a few done but cant find pictures now...its certainly not bolt on

Name:  SANY0078.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  85.5 KB
Old 12-11-2015, 07:26 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Voith
Install stock engne and convert it to run on wood: http://www.odditycentral.com/auto/uk...ey-on-gas.html
That's accualy realy dam cool! Take the wood ashs from the burner and spread it into a garden to replenish the soil that is depleted of minerals that humans are so despritly deprived from nowadays in their food from centuries of farming the same land. That's what the Whole world "should" do... but how can the rich get rich if we don't use there oil that they said we had to use, we get a few choices at least right? And this syco need to creat the fastest car possible, how are we going to fo fil that need? Skydiving?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:32 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Also I sent the OP a message already telling him I would give him a great deal on a bunch of parts on that list and then some. Just to hook him up and give him something to do like he seems eager to want to, and get these parts off my porch and out of my house, I want my room back. Just don't judge me while driving a wood burning 944 now.

Last edited by Humboldtgrin; 12-11-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:35 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Small block Chevy
Old 12-11-2015, 09:59 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 495 Posts

It will fit in the 944 bay, but there are 2 problems...the oil pan sump is in the wrong place, and the 16v 928 intake manifold is super tall.
Like, about a foot tall from the flange at the head to the top of the runners/plenum.

Now a 32v 928 engine might work with some dedication...Someday in the future I may try it.

Quick Reply: Crazy idea