Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid filled Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 04:47 PM
Sach951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha... ahem.

Called up Vertex. They said that they buy the mounts from the original manufacturer that porsche bought them from. They say Germany on the side. Looks exactly the same. Can't really tell.. I asked for some sort of proof and they responded that that it was what it was... not exactly helpful.

How to proceed? Need some advice... I was hoping to have the car on the road this weekend, but don't want to drop in evil mounts ;(
Old 09-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Sach951
Pro

Called Vertex Auto again to speak with them... guy literally yelled at me when I requested more information about their sources...

Ordering new mounts from Pelican to be safe and sending back the Vertex mounts...

Cheers,
Sach
Old 09-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if this help the cause, but here are detailed views of the original and aftermarket mounts (BTW, both are Made in Germany):

Good Luck!
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

and, the aftermarket... or, "other" mount:
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2003, 07:29 PM
AlexE
Pro

Looks like the aftermarket have a stamped number on the side ??

I bought from Vertex assuming they were OEM as well??? Are the fluid filled ones still available? ON both my 944 and 951 the original mounts look very different to the ones shown above....
Old 09-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Sach951
Pro

Hm.. this is very interesting indeed. I've already gone ahead and posted an order with Paragon ( ya, skip ) for the OEM just be sure. I'll go and take pictures of the mounts that I received from Vertex and post them here.

Could we get some different angles Skip? Your aftermarket mounts don't say 'Germany' on them, whereas those that I received from Vertex said 'Germany' on them. However, this could be angle. Also, the mounts I received have the same tone metal and plastic as those that you picture as the original mounts....

I would really like to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,
Sach
Old 09-30-2003, 07:54 PM
GTZ
Instructor

Called Vertex Auto again to speak with them... guy literally yelled at me when I requested more information about their sources...
How do these guy's stay in business??

The box I got was IIRC was two tone blue and said Germany on it. But the mounts looked like the lower of the two pictures. Just for the record I didn't buy them from Vertex. I'm really interested to see what differences you find. I might have to order the correct ones if your experiance turns out well.

Randy
Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Sach951
Pro

A few observations while taking photos only to realize that my flash card reader has dissapeared, so I'll post them tomorrow:

Neither of those you picture, Skip, have 'Germany' written on them, as the Vertex mount does, so it's almost certainly not OEM. Also, the OEM mount in the second view ( on the right side ) at the top of the flat face of the mount with the threads has a small insignia or some such on it. The Vertex mount nor the OEM mount you pictured have that. The shade of the metal of the Vertex mount is almost a perfect match for the OEM mount you have pictured there. Also, the OEM mount you have pictured there seems to have a small gap around the large bolt coming from the bottom when compared to the considerably larger gap a la the Vertex mount or the aftermarket you pictured. Also, the Vertex mount has no number as pictured on the aftermarket mount. The aftermarket mount pictured has three litle rubber pieces on the face side around the edge of the circular protrusion, whereas the OEM unit pictured does not -- the vertex unit has two, and in different positions when compared to that of the aftermarket mount pictured.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:12 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The tell-tale differences are in the metal portion. Look at the hole locations on the tops. I'm still not clear which are solid and which are fluid filled. It was my understanding that at least the aftermarket are fluid filled.

Not sure about the location or lack of Germany stamp, but they are both produced in Germany. Original mounts are made by CFW Freudenberg and Aftermarket mounts are made by Meyle.

FWIW, we always recommend the OEM mounts though we still sell a lot of the aftermarket. The aftermarket seem to last at least 18 months which is "good enough" for some folks. YMMV.

Last edited by Skip; 09-30-2003 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:13 PM
Sach951
Pro

As to the positioning of the holes on the units from Vertex, they are in the same position as those found in the OEM unit pictured above. The number of differences gives one cause to question, especially given the price and the experiences of others with the units from Vertex...

Shall call on the morrow and ask from which company they are obtained.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Sach951
Pro

Oh yes, they came in little plastic bags.. what are the OEMs sent out in Skip?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:34 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I ordered some OEM mounts from skip last month. I still have the cross member off so I can take some pictures of them tomorrow. I believe that I also have the packaging that came with the mounts that I can post a picture of.

Quick Reply: Fluid filled Motor Mounts?