Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid filled Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 02:12 PM
GTZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fluid filled Motor Mounts?

Are they still available? I heard that they are not.
The reason I ask is I recently changed mine, with a new set that I've had for a sitting around couple of years, and I really didn't notice any difference, so I'm thinking the ones I have are not fluid filled.

Randy
Old 09-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I was under the impression that all the mounts had "fluid" in them. The fluid is inside the rubber part and provides the dampening.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:29 PM
GTZ
Instructor

I was under the impression that all the mounts had "fluid" in them.
Yeah, so was I. But apparently not all are created equal. When I bought mine they were supposed to be OEM, but from what I have read here and other places not all are fluid filled, some are just rubber.
When I asked the dealer he said that he wasn't sure if they are or not. The dealer's were about $100 each and I paid $100 for both, so I'm thinking I didn't get the fluid filled ones. But then again if the Dealer has the same ones (non- fluid filled) then I got a heck of a deal.

Randy
Old 09-27-2003, 08:36 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Randy, is it just me or have you noticed that a lot of the cars on this board have the same problem at the same time? I mean Tabo, you, me, and somebody else were all doing clutches at the same time, no we're all looking at the motor mounts, various intermitant stalling problems etc.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:58 PM
GTZ
Instructor

Yep, misery loves company.

Yeah I'm real intrested in TaboII's clutch diagnosis. If he has the same lame *** clutch plate as I do, then I think Vertex might be pulling a fast one. I'm convinced the one I have is not a Sachs unit at all. I think he's taking it apart this weekend with his friend the "mystery mechanic" LOL.

The mounts I put in aren't collapsed or "bad" but they also don't feel any different then the ones I took out. A little bit of a rough idle that I can feel in the steering wheel, which I'm told is an indication that they are bad, at least for the fluid type.

I took my car over to a friends today and put it on his lift. I took the exhaust mounts loose and repositioned the whole system, and also repositioned the little flywheel cover, and no more ratlle! Smoooooth as can be now!
Woo Hoo

Old 09-27-2003, 09:12 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are correct. There are some aftermarket motor mounts that are solid rubber and don't have any fluid in them. Then of course there are the solid metal ones for the track. I hear those will shake your teeth out if you use them on the street for long.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:23 PM
GTZ
Instructor

You guys are correct. There are some aftermarket motor mounts that are solid rubber and don't have any fluid in them.
Well jeepers, that's probably what I have then.

Then of course there are the solid metal ones for the track.
Ouch.. on a un-modified chassis wouldn't that transfer some on the torsional loads from the chassis through the engine block, essentially making the engine a stressed member of the chassis? I don't see much good coming from that. Would tend to make your cylinder bores less than round under certain conditions. Of course with that factored into the chassis design....

Randy
Old 09-28-2003, 02:40 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Thought that Porsche when to the solid rubber engine mounts as replacements. No filled mounts.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:27 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I believe that Porsche still sells the fluid filled ones except they only sell the ones that they used for the 951 (you can still use them for N/A's). The aftermarket ones can be either solid rubber or fluid filled. When one buys motor mounts for the street, they should go with the OEM ones for about $100 each and skip the aftermarket fluid filled ones for about $50 each. Although I haven't used any of the aftermarket ones myself, I have heard that they fail prematurely and that motor mount replacement is not a job that you want to do repetitively.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Randy, so you're having a problem with the clutch plate? What is it doing?
Old 09-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to replace mine with the solid mounts from Lindsey. I have heard that they will add some vibration but with 400-500lb front springs on the street whats a little more vibration :>)

BTW - as far as failure, the hydraulic (liquid filled) mounts will fail first and the all rubber will tear eventually, these are wear items and will have to be replaced every so often, therefore the solid aluminum mount!! I guess their supermount system would be good for a street car but they are 250 a piece! They do however come with a lifetime warranty.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:06 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep- me too on the motor mounts. Been wanting to replace them for almost a year. It's just the general age of the components vs wear and tear. We'll all replace them eventually. The same has been happening on the flex disc (auto flex damper) I did mine last summer, since then I personally know of 6 more people going thru this replacement this summer.. Sheesh.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:08 PM
GTZ
Instructor

Randy, so you're having a problem with the clutch plate? What is it doing?
Kevin, no problems. What happened was when I put the exhasut back together, on my back, by myself, I didn't get it lined up with the hangers correctly and the cat was touching the heat shield. And the little sheet metal cover that covers the front of the flywheel wasn't tight, so it rattled a little. All from the engine resonance, at about 3500 RPM.
But it's all good now. About 200 miles on the clutch so far, and all is well.

Randy
Old 09-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Just curious about the mounts as it has come up on the 928 board as well. the 928 mounts are fluid filled and fail between 65-90K. We've found that Anchor 2698 mounts replace our Porsche mounts exactly for about 1/4 the price. Being that the engines are similiar (well, at least on one side) - wonder if they might work for you guys too?

Just a thought.....
Old 09-28-2003, 06:53 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

I am goin to do a motormount soon, but i am just goin with OEM personally... they are supposed to be fluid filled from what i understand...

Quick Reply: Fluid filled Motor Mounts?