Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 overheating problems

So after putting new konis on the rear on my 1988 Porsche 944 I drove it to my friends house and this morning everything was going fine but my temp gauge was at 2/3 and it normally runs at 1/3. So I pulled over and let it sit for about 20 minutes and realized the whole time my fans didn't turn on so I turned on the ac and they came on. And drove it again but it started kickin and bucking in all gears so I pulled over again for about five minutes and then made it 5 blocks away from my house and it started to overheat again so I pushed it to my house. I see that there's a bit of water between my wp and timing belt cover. Both rad hoses were hot. Maybe bad wp? Or closed thermostat?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 495 Posts

Fans didn't turn on by themselves, but did with the AC on, sounds like a bad fan switch (on the radiator) or fan relay (in the fuse box).

Old waterpump can make the car run hotter but your problem is with the fans.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:32 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Fans didn't turn on by themselves, but did with the AC on, sounds like a bad fan switch (on the radiator) or fan relay (in the fuse box). Old waterpump can make the car run hotter but your problem is with the fans.
okay but it still overheated with the fans on and they sound different like there hiring something or the fan clutch is grinding idk.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 495 Posts

There is no fan clutch on a 944.
Guessing your water pump bearing is grinding.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:58 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my car the fan shroud warped along the bottom edge and started rubbing on the blades. A couple zip ties pulled everything back into place. Also check your lower radiator hose to make sure it isn't getting clipped somehow.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:00 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
There is no fan clutch on a 944. Guessing your water pump bearing is grinding.
but the grinding only happens when the fans are on
Old 11-23-2015, 04:02 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go with checking out the thermostat. If the car is moving at a decent rate of speed, the fans shouldn't really cut on anyway. My fans only kick on when I'm sitting in traffic or stopped at a light for a long time. Then again, I do live in Michigan so it doesn't get too hot here. But from previous VW, Audi, Porsche ownership, I would definitely say that the thermostat is a likely failure point. If isn't closing and opening properly, it will cause the car to overheat. Turn on the heater in your car and let the interior fan blow at max to get rid of the access heat in the engine if you need to make it home next time. It will bring the engine temp down temporarily. A thermostat replace is a heck of a lot cheaper than a water pump! Hope that helps!
Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by jr10cross
I would go with checking out the thermostat. If the car is moving at a decent rate of speed, the fans shouldn't really cut on anyway. My fans only kick on when I'm sitting in traffic or stopped at a light for a long time. Then again, I do live in Michigan so it doesn't get too hot here. But from previous VW, Audi, Porsche ownership, I would definitely say that the thermostat is a likely failure point. If isn't closing and opening properly, it will cause the car to overheat. Turn on the heater in your car and let the interior fan blow at max to get rid of the access heat in the engine if you need to make it home next time. It will bring the engine temp down temporarily. A thermostat replace is a heck of a lot cheaper than a water pump! Hope that helps!
ok and the thermostat is in the water pump on the bottom hose right?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:17 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Yep you got it.

Here's a link to a site that explains the whole process my man:

http://944foot2thefloor.blogspot.com...rsche-944.html
Old 11-23-2015, 04:22 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Yep you got it. Here's a link to a site that explains the whole process my man: http://944foot2thefloor.blogspot.com...rsche-944.html
okay thanks and there's also a wire that I seen that I don't understand it looks exactly like the temp gauge hookup same color wires and everything but it's unhooked I don't get it
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Where is the wire located? Is it near anything in particular?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:42 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

check your lower radiator hose, maybe that grinding noise is the fan digging into it. had that happen to me last month, culprit was bad radiator mounts.

What really is puzzling is that you say it's bucking in all gears. In what way? I guess it's possible that the DME temp sensor got really hot and the DME ran the engine super lean (what usually causes bucking) but that would worry me if it got that hot.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Originally Posted by odonnell
check your lower radiator hose, maybe that grinding noise is the fan digging into it. had that happen to me last month, culprit was bad radiator mounts. What really is puzzling is that you say it's bucking in all gears. In what way? I guess it's possible that the DME temp sensor got really hot and the DME ran the engine super lean (what usually causes bucking) but that would worry me if it got that hot.
I have no clue it just was then wen I restarted the car it didn't do it again
Old 11-23-2015, 04:46 PM
chanothemekhanik
Instructor

Where is the wire located? Is it near anything in particular?
right by the temp sensor plug they look identical like I have two temp sensor plugs
Old 11-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts

If both hoses were hot, then it's probably not the T-stat. If one were cold and the other hot, then the T-stat would be suspect. If you can hear the grinding noise with the fans on, check the lower hose clearances. +1 on what Michael said. If you see coolant coming out from behind the timing belt cover, then the WP is probably done. Put some tracer dye in the coolant and check with the magic glasses. Cheap and effective. If you can jumper the fans direct to the battery, and run them, be sure they are nice and smooth. might be bad fan bearings too.

Quick Reply: 944 overheating problems