Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beating a dead horse: brake pad suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Quinion
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating a dead horse: brake pad suggestions?

Hi Rennlisters! This is definitely my first post here, but I have been lurking for quite a long time. I know this topic has been brought up many times, as I have searched it a million times over. I haven't been able to find a good answer that fits my situation though, and as someone who is learning as I go I don't have a lot of experience against which to compare results.

I have an 84 944 NA that is getting a major maintenance tune-up... by me. One item on that list has been to have the brake calipers totally overhauled (PMB performance) plus all new rotors, lines, hardware, and pads. I've got all the other parts lined up and ready to go, but have been struggling with a pad decision due to the overwhelming number of options. I'll be using this car 100% street, and am looking for low-noise, and low-er dusting. Problem is, it seems no brand or set of pads comes without totally mixed reviews. At first I was leaning towards EBC Redstuff, but some people seem really unhappy with those, and the OEM options seem endless. Anybody have any suggestions, because I've felt like for the last few months trying to decide!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:26 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Seems like this is a question that keeps coming up because there are a lot of right answers! I've used Mintex, Jurid, Pagid, and Metal Master PBRs, all for street-only use, and have been pretty happy with all four options. I'd almost say it's worth just going with what seems to have the best price, at least based on my experience.

I'm sure others will chime in with good answers as well, but the main thing seems to be that you just need to stick to a solid brand.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:50 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep away from anything ceramic, they have horrible stopping power. I have Mintex pads in mine and I like them.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:16 AM
911lnv87
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 with Mintex
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 508 Posts

+1 mintex, on my 2nd set now.
1st set lasted over 9 years. stops great.

and the price is hard to beat.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:29 AM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

Anyone have any experience with the StopTech pads?

Amazon.com: StopTech 309.06080 Street Performance Rear Brake Pad: Automotive Amazon.com: StopTech 309.06080 Street Performance Rear Brake Pad: Automotive
Old 10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I do have the EBC redstuff. I have no complaints, it produces much less dust than the ones I had earlier.

I have to use quite some force on the pedal but that's a non-issue for me. They haven't really be broken in, so I can't yet say have good they can stop.

I reckon the greenstuff is a better choice for street, though, as those warm up quicker.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have run both the Yellowstuff and the Redstuff pads on my 944. I really liked the Yellowstuff - great braking power, but just wayyyy too much dust for a street-driven car. My 944 is white and it was constantly dingy from the brake dust. So, when it came time to switch pads, I decided to give the Redstuff a try.

At first, I was pretty disappointed - the braking power was terrible compared to the Yellowstuff pads and required a lot of force on the pedal to stop. However, they take a little while to break in. After a couple hundred miles, they got quite a bit better. Still not as good as the Yellowstuff, but I would still call them a "good" street pad. They have a good, progressive feel and seem to have a good fade resistance (I haven't gotten any fade despite my best effort, but I do live in Michigan and there aren't exactly too many roads around that really put the car to the test). And the best part is that they are very low dusting pads.

Long story short - for spirited street driving, I think they are pretty good pads. Not the highest-performance pads I've ever tried, but I will buy them again when these wear out because they are a good compromise for the street. If I were doing a lot of track days and autocross, I would switch back to the Yellowstuff or another similar pad, but for the type of driving I do they are a good pad. And did I mention low dust ?

Quick Reply: Beating a dead horse: brake pad suggestions?