Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt, fact or Internet folklore?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:56 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
The belts for the 944 should be made on the same assembly line as the Honda and Ford belts.
All Gates, Conti, etc care about is the circumference (length) is right, and the tooth count and spacing is right.

The rubber, nylon cord, etc should all be identical to other belts...
Which means the application is causing the difference.

If the 944 had a hydraulic/dynamic tensioner, I would expect the belt to last to 60k like the 968 allowed for.

And I bet if the 944 water pump pulley shaft were extended out to be driven by the ACC belt instead, the timing belt would last to 100k miles like a "normal" car.

I am going to make a non-interference engine soon and intend to see just how long a belt lasts without being changed...stay tuned for updates in 2020.
Funny you say that I contacted Laurst about fly cutting and he mentioned you contacted him as well lol.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:22 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
Funny you say that I contacted Laurst about fly cutting and he mentioned you contacted him as well lol.

Originally Posted by bonus12
Haha, can't tell if you're serious but that would be awesome.
That brings up the idea again about tensioning our belts every 10-15k miles to safely get 60k. Or maybe s a genius will R&D a dynamic tensioner.
I don't know about genius but I'm going to make one (retrofit hydraulic tensioner) happen on this next engine.

When I have it figured out I'll post it here...it won't be 968 parts.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:51 PM
Tim_944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i just change mine every 3 years bc i can do it myself and doesn't take too long. doing the water pump however is a bit of a pain and i usually change out the pump every 3 years also bc from what i've heard a new belt can cause the old pump to leak. l

I have never used special tools to tension i just tension by feel and it has worked good for me. the 944 engine and timing belt system is not very complicated or difficult to replace

not sure if the timing belt would last much longer than 3 years i'm guessing it can last much longer but people replace it at 3 years to avoid a failure. on newer cars I think the belts go to 100k miles and 8-10 years between changes. when i change my belt at 3 years it still looks pretty new. I always use Gates belts as they just feel like better quality belts than some other brands like conti but i'm sure any quality brand is fine.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:34 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim_944
i just change mine every 3 years bc i can do it myself and doesn't take too long. doing the water pump however is a bit of a pain and i usually change out the pump every 3 years also bc from what i've heard a new belt can cause the old pump to leak. l

I have never used special tools to tension i just tension by feel and it has worked good for me. the 944 engine and timing belt system is not very complicated or difficult to replace

not sure if the timing belt would last much longer than 3 years i'm guessing it can last much longer but people replace it at 3 years to avoid a failure. on newer cars I think the belts go to 100k miles and 8-10 years between changes. when i change my belt at 3 years it still looks pretty new. I always use Gates belts as they just feel like better quality belts than some other brands like conti but i'm sure any quality brand is fine.
Same here, it's really not hard to DIY the belts and the cost isn't all that bad. I don't use the special tension tool, I just go by feel. There's really nothing scary about the 944's timing system. If you've done belts on a few cars or bikes and have a feel for belt tension, I don't really think the tool is necessary.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:47 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SloMo228
Same here, it's really not hard to DIY the belts and the cost isn't all that bad. I don't use the special tension tool, I just go by feel. There's really nothing scary about the 944's timing system. If you've done belts on a few cars or bikes and have a feel for belt tension, I don't really think the tool is necessary.
I've done the belts + pump, but now I'm wondering if all I'm doing is the belts, can I do it without using the flywheel lock, and/or not removing the balance shaft belt gear on the crankshaft? I've heard you CAN install the belts with this gear still on, but how difficult is it really?

I don't mind putting on the flywheel lock but it's just so far under the car which is tough in certain situations.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:04 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've done the belts + pump, but now I'm wondering if all I'm doing is the belts, can I do it without using the flywheel lock, and/or not removing the balance shaft belt gear on the crankshaft? I've heard you CAN install the belts with this gear still on, but how difficult is it really?

I don't mind putting on the flywheel lock but it's just so far under the car which is tough in certain situations.
Installing the belt with the balance gear on is harder than installing the flywheel lock. Just did my belts. Two turntables and a microphone - sorry that should read two car stands and a jack.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-01-2015, 12:31 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

I do a lot of 944 timing belts. The na/turbo you can slip the timing and balance belts into place without removing even the accessory pulley, just the belt covers.

16v need the accessory pulley to come off.

Flywheel lock is indispensable though for timing sake.
Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Installing the belt with the balance gear on is harder than installing the flywheel lock. Just did my belts. Two turntables and a microphone - sorry that should read two car stands and a jack.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-01-2015, 03:37 AM
Tim_944
Instructor

Originally Posted by odurandina
i don't believe the 4 years is too long mantra.

no way. that's getting close to silly. i've also heard 3 years quoted on these forums for years. that's full on nuts.

no car's inherent design can be THAT UTTERLY WORTHLESS. not even a 944.

if you can wrench, and it makes you feel good.... you have carte blanch.

the first owner of my '87 944S and me put 116k miles on a set of gen 1 belts over about 8 years
(i purchased the car in 1989 with 17 k miles w/ the original belts).

62k on another (on my 968) on long-life Gates belts. the belts came out of the car pristine.

then again, EVERYTHING was done when they went on.... new bearings/nothing dragging.

guess what, when they came off the car, the bearings were all tired. they were done (MEXICO BABY).

56k on still another (968) set of Gate's belts. Gates belts are designed for long life. they work as advertised.

4 years and low~moderate miles? bullsh t.

6, 7, 8 years? maybe. rotating parts? yes, the plastic gets brittle. 5 years is probably time.

outside of that, if the sh t is seriously, that bad, that belts break in 4 years, then the engine is a bullsh t failed design.

i don't believe the 944 engine is a failed design.

but i do believe it's a highly flawed design.

run Gates belts, along with NEW EVERYTHING for crying out loud - and retension them @ ~1500~2000 miles or whatever...

and you should be fine.

EXPENSIVE? yes. welcome to Porsche. (they planned it that way so the dealers wouldn't scream about lost 911 sales).

it's a flawed design. but not a lemon.

once and for all - it's not the Goddamned belts. ITS GOING CHEAP ON THE OTHER CRAP.

that includes rebuilt pumps. don't do that.

GO AHEAD, BE CHEAP. YOU'LL PAY LATER.
I am approaching 3 years again with new belts, rollers and a rebuilt pump all installed almost 3 years ago. I can't decide whether to change everything soon or to just slap a new belt on there or to just leave it for another year or so.

also changing pumps every three years is kind of insane on all other cars water pumps go for about 100k miles and people don't put in new water pumps every three years. I have heard from some that you can change the pump every other belt change but then others will tell you that a new belt will cause your old pump to leak and you should replace the pump also.

I think rebuilt pumps can be good or bad. I put in 2 bad rebuilt pumps in a row (both leaked right after the install) and then i got a rebuilt GEBA pump which is a company that does rebuilds in germany and it has been going for 3 years now without problems but i have no idea how long it will last. i think a rebuilt pump can be as good or better than new pumps if it is rebuilt properly and good quality bearings and seals are used. the geba pump that i have has some bad review on bmw boards and people claim they are crap and fail pretty quick but i've been lucky so far.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:43 AM
Tim_944
Instructor

oh and when i bought my 944 around 8 years ago some people on forums tried to scare me from buying a 944 by telling me that the belts are really expensive to change and difficult and you require a 700 dollars porsche tool to tension it properly. not true at all.

for tension i use the twist and water pump method. the water pump method requires you to tension the belt so that at tdc you can twist the water pump pulley using one hand with some force. if you can't turn the water pump pulley at all with force it is too tight and if the pulley moves easily then it is too loose.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:41 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do a lot of 944 timing belts. The na/turbo you can slip the timing and balance belts into place without removing even the accessory pulley, just the belt covers.

16v need the accessory pulley to come off.
Good to know. Mine is a 16V, of course.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-03-2015, 07:23 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim_944
I am approaching 3 years again with new belts, rollers and a rebuilt pump all installed almost 3 years ago. I can't decide whether to change everything soon or to just slap a new belt on there or to just leave it for another year or so.

also changing pumps every three years is kind of insane on all other cars water pumps go for about 100k miles and people don't put in new water pumps every three years. I have heard from some that you can change the pump every other belt change but then others will tell you that a new belt will cause your old pump to leak and you should replace the pump also.

I think rebuilt pumps can be good or bad. I put in 2 bad rebuilt pumps in a row (both leaked right after the install) and then i got a rebuilt GEBA pump which is a company that does rebuilds in germany and it has been going for 3 years now without problems but i have no idea how long it will last. i think a rebuilt pump can be as good or better than new pumps if it is rebuilt properly and good quality bearings and seals are used. the geba pump that i have has some bad review on bmw boards and people claim they are crap and fail pretty quick but i've been lucky so far.
I suggest keep the pump and change the belts and rollers. Sometimes bad part reviews are more geared towards the car they work for. Could be a flaw in the design on the bmw that never got addressed. If you've had 3yrs of it working without flaw then I would continue as usual and replace it every other belt change.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

The reason a lot of water pumps fail after a belt change is improper tension of the belt itself. Most people shouldn't have a problem changing the belt every other belt change.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan87951
The reason a lot of water pumps fail after a belt change is improper tension of the belt itself. Most people shouldn't have a problem changing the belt every other belt change.
As long as you change the belt every other belt change you should be good to go
Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

As long as you change the belt every other belt change you should be good to go
lol ops! You get the point!

Correction: Most people should be able to change the water pump every other belt change unless their car see's a lot of track time.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to have the flywheel lock, sorry you can not keep the engine timed without one since you pretty much will be pulling the crank pulley. Its possible to do the TB with the pulley on on the 944 but its tight, i don't care for it as i didn't want to damage the belt, so i always pulled the pulley. On my 968 engine it is NOT possible, the pulley absolutely has to come off. Do the balance belt when you do the TB.

Quick Reply: Timing belt, fact or Internet folklore?