Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 simple mods, and my 944 is 300% better to drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:02 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
You just need more practice on the round cam.
When you're used to it, you can make super-fine adjustments to throttle with your foot no problem.

20mph, 10mph, etc should be no problem - recalibrate your foot!!!
Ok, should have been more specific- it's not that holding those speeds is a problem, that just takes a more controlled touch with the pedal. What actually gets to me is that at that slow of a speed, it's easy to have every bump that you feel from the road translate through to just the tiniest bit of a tap on the throttle, and with the grunt the NA has at low rpms, I can get jerked around a little bit. It's a really minor thing, honestly, but it is noticeable.

On a different note, I saw the dyno charts from the 2 degree camshaft timing advance, and am totally sold on that shift, but I can't seem to find if anyone's done the same with the 4 degree key. I'm leaning towards the larger offset, but it seems like there's not much reference out there on what the more measured impact is vs. the 2 degree. Anyone have any specifics on pros/cons between the two?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:43 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Rogue did testing with 4 degree advance and his MAF kit.
I did testing with 2 degree advance and his MAF kit+ my tuning and got the same power numbers.
I think I could have gotten more power if I had gone to 4 degrees and more tuning.

Either way is a very good thing to do. Even if you have the stock AFM setup, the advanced cam really helps the car a lot.

...buy my MAF kit...
Old 12-18-2015, 12:16 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I popped on the round cam as one of the first mods to my NA. I also put in a 944MAX DME chip (24-pin). The car has lots of torque and is snappy.

I have a very stiff suspension, as well. I have noticed that guest drivers will get this surging from the throttle. Sort of like firing a semi-automatic pistol at the range and having the recoil snap off two shots when you only expected one. But, I guess that I am just used to it. I couldn't imagine using the stock cam again.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Rogue did testing with 4 degree advance and his MAF kit.
I did testing with 2 degree advance and his MAF kit+ my tuning and got the same power numbers.
I think I could have gotten more power if I had gone to 4 degrees and more tuning.

Either way is a very good thing to do. Even if you have the stock AFM setup, the advanced cam really helps the car a lot.

...buy my MAF kit...
Ok, good to know. Seems like the 4-degree advance is worth a run to me.

And man, I'd love to pick up that MAF/tune rig, but there's too much essential work to do before I drop $1k that I don't have to! I've got around $1k in parts and tools for all the belts/rollers/water pump and a front engine re-seal, plus I need a new transmission (3rd gear synchro is shot, so I just rev-match it, but now the synchro for 4th is acting up too...)...
Old 12-21-2015, 02:37 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dmjames

And man, I'd love to pick up that MAF/tune rig, but there's too much essential work to do before I drop $1k that I don't have to! I've got around $1k in parts and tools for all the belts/rollers/water pump and a front engine re-seal, plus I need a new transmission (3rd gear synchro is shot, so I just rev-match it, but now the synchro for 4th is acting up too...)...
Maybe it's time to put in a 5R transmission (LSD)while you have it out. I see them for around $1200 plus shipping.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:39 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Maybe it's time to put in a 5R transmission (LSD)while you have it out. I see them for around $1200 plus shipping.
Seriously, you're just evil. God knows I want an LSD transmission, and a MAF + tune, and whatnot... But at pushing $900 more than I can come up with a good-condition, low-mileage normal transmission, it's hard to justify.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:54 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmjames

$850 shipped, this week only
PM me....
Old 12-22-2015, 04:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Let me help you avoid the expense by being a topic **** and saying LSD is off-topic; it's not a simple (i.e. cheap) mod, and it doesn't make the car waaay better to drive around. There you go
Old 12-22-2015, 04:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

$850 is a good deal though......
Old 12-22-2015, 04:58 AM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
$850 is a good deal though......
Yeah, but it's for the MAF/chip setup, not the LSD. Still a good deal, but also still over the top for my daily driver too.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

The MAF will make it 400% better to drive
Old 12-22-2015, 03:39 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The MAF will make it 400% better to drive
Ok, I'm a novice on the AFM, MAF, MAP thing, what is this MAF. And how is it different to the AFM.

Cheers.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:48 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Ok, I'm a novice on the AFM, MAF, MAP thing, what is this MAF. And how is it different to the AFM.

Cheers.
The AFM is a mechanical device...it has a spring-loaded door that is opened as the engine draws air through the intake tract. It's a restriction to the flow, but that was pretty much the best thing to do back in the day.

MAF accomplishes the same job (measuring how much air flow is going into the engine) but does so using a much less invasive instrument...a "hot wire" that protrudes into the intake tract but does not substantially impede the flow. Hence why it's an upgrade.

The real upgrade is with the tune that most MAF kits come with, the stock 944 tune can be improved on pretty easily.

A MAP is totally different scheme but via an accurately programmed table, can be used to measure intake flow. I've run the AFM, MAF, and currently MAP on my car and can tell you, the latter 2 are the way to go if you can be bothered.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:58 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent. Thank you for detailed answer. So is this MAF kit a direct replacement or are there other mechanical things need to be done to make it fit/work?
Old 12-22-2015, 04:07 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Excellent. Thank you for detailed answer. So is this MAF kit a direct replacement or are there other mechanical things need to be done to make it fit/work?
The one V2 is selling is plug and play. Doesn't get much easier than that. I ran a related part from the same manufacturer on my NA last year and it's a treat. Anyone serious about making the most out of their 944 should investigate upgrading this area, the AFM is sadly a huge bottleneck and the stock tune leaves much to be desired (it was the 80s, just look at what was happening with American cars.)

Quick Reply: 3 simple mods, and my 944 is 300% better to drive