Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch headscratcher

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015 | 05:03 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Default Hatch headscratcher

I can't seem to get the hatch to align properly on my 86 NA. I've done the standard procedure to align them with a helper by climbing into the hatch and loosening the 10mm nuts holding the latches in place, then gently closing the hatch and snugging the nuts to allow the latches to align with the pins. I've also adjusted the length of the pins a few times and lubed the latches, and no matter what I do I can not get the latch to both open easily with the key, and not pop open over bumps. It is one or the other. I have old, worn hatch struts in the car too that barely hold the glass up so it isnt like they are applying too much pressure. Every time though, its either the hatch is impossible to open, or I find it unlatched after a drive. What can I do? I dont want to spend money replacing the seats and pins because its a beater daily, I just want it to work.
Old 07-01-2015 | 05:17 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

you might be tightening the nuts too much. too tight and the "claws" get stuck/pinched in place.
Old 07-01-2015 | 05:39 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you might be tightening the nuts too much. too tight and the "claws" get stuck/pinched in place.
yes, but too loose and they pop open.

plus it rattles, does that mean I need to shorten the pins?

Last edited by Dougs951S; 07-01-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2015 | 06:17 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Are your pins in good condition, or are the edges worn and rounded out? The same wear can happen to the receivers, and if so, they could lose the ability to retain the pins.

Try making the pins a bit shorter (tightening the hatch), and to open it, just lean on the glass a little to reduce the tension on the latches to make opening easier. Maybe a drop of oil in the latches, to reduce friction, and that might remove the need to lean on the glass.
Old 07-03-2015 | 04:10 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

The problem is that I cant keep the damn thing latched.. It keeps popping open. Am I looking at having to replace the receiver locks, the seats, and the pins? I have a perfectly good hatch on my 951 buuuuuut the tint is a lot nicer on the NA hatch. Maybe I should take the receivers and the pins from the 951 hatch? (be sure to measure their length first!)
Old 07-03-2015 | 11:15 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
The problem is that I cant keep the damn thing latched.. It keeps popping open. Am I looking at having to replace the receiver locks, the seats, and the pins? I have a perfectly good hatch on my 951 buuuuuut the tint is a lot nicer on the NA hatch. Maybe I should take the receivers and the pins from the 951 hatch? (be sure to measure their length first!)
That is exactly what you do. Pull them out, fit them, and reinstall. Under the hatch is no place for grown men!

Here you go: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...plemental.html
Old 07-05-2015 | 04:17 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
That is exactly what you do. Pull them out, fit them, and reinstall. Under the hatch is no place for grown men!

Here you go: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...plemental.html
Still frustrated. I've done all of this and ensured that the locks are closing all the way and that the pins are the right length, ect. It's just that the damn locks wont stay latched around the pins and the hatch keeps popping open. Its really irritating me because it otherwise opens and closes great with the key, operates perfectly. What exactly is causing that, and will new seats fix the latching issue?
Old 07-05-2015 | 10:41 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Doug, have you have cleaned out your pin seats / receptacles? They are a magnet for dirt & grit & it gets compressed therefore limiting the ability to tighten after a while. Also I replaced (out of desperation) some good looking used ones with brand new pins. That combo worked. Yes this hatch and sunroof are something else.
Old 07-05-2015 | 07:24 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

it sounds to me like the pins are set too short, make them way long, verify that everything latches by pulling up on the hatch and verifying that it's latched, and then shorten a little at a time until you can just barely feel movement when you pull up.
Old 07-05-2015 | 08:23 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Still frustrated. I've done all of this and ensured that the locks are closing all the way and that the pins are the right length, ect. It's just that the damn locks wont stay latched around the pins and the hatch keeps popping open. Its really irritating me because it otherwise opens and closes great with the key, operates perfectly. What exactly is causing that, and will new seats fix the latching issue?
Hey Doug, sorry for the frustration. Did you pull the pins and assembly out as i did in the picture? It's easier to diagnose with the whole thing in your hand.
Old 06-18-2022 | 11:14 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default Latch assembly

You might have to adjust the ends of the linkage rod to make the internal latch finger to be a bit more closed. If you have to remove the rod to do this, be sure to put a long piece of wire on the rod prior to removing it. It’s a REAL PITA to get the rod back into the coachwork if you don’t. Just sayin.
Old 06-20-2022 | 12:12 AM
maint
Instructor

I had the same issue, I couldn't adjust mine so it wouldn't pop open going over a bump. I found my latch was worn. I took the latch out and put it onto the pin and, while trying to hold the arm to keep jaws shut, easily pulled the pin out. In the picture the rounded edge was supposed to be grabbing the pin. The pin would just force its way out.

Here is a thread on what i found and did to fix it. Have not had the hatch open on it's own in the year and a half since

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...receivers.html

Last edited by maint; 06-20-2022 at 12:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Hatch headscratcher