Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Timing Belt Pulley Orientation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crankshaft Timing Belt Pulley Orientation?

So I'm in the middle of putting everything back together after a front engine re-seal, new water pump, rollers, and belts. I thought I had everything organized and documented pretty well with photos as I was taking it all apart... but apparently I didn't photograph or note the orientation of the timing belt pulley on the crankshaft when I removed it because now I have no idea which way it goes back on (or if it even matters).

I have done some searching but everything I find talks about having a flange facing away from or toward the engine. My crank pulley has no flange. It's apparently the same (or darn close) on both sides, except one side has a part number and the other doesn't. It doesn't seem to matter which way it goes on but I'd like to make sure before I button everything up for good.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:38 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your crank pulley has a flange that needs to be installed out towards the front of the car.

Crank oil seal
oil drive gear
o-ring
metal washer
then crank pulley
torque crank bolt to 155# after installing alt/ac pulley

BTW, lather then crank end with some anti-seize so the next poor soul who does this doesn't have to fight with removing the crank pulley off the end of the crank and losing their mind.

Oil drive gear orientation with oil seal, drive gear and o-ring installed, metal washer, then crank pulley
Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Last edited by V2Rocket; 06-03-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Spencer, fiily is correct - the flange goes outward, otherwise it can touch the oil pump housing and not apply enough pressure to the oil pump drive gear.

Also, if you look at the tensioner pulley, *that* flange is inward. It was Porsche's intent to have the flanges be opposite to keep the belt running on the true path.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:08 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To answer the OP's question.....it doesn't matter which way you mount the pulley since yours does not have a flange. The one on my S2 didn't have a flange either. You can probably see where the belt rode before. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Spencer, fiily is correct - the flange goes outward, otherwise it can touch the oil pump housing and not apply enough pressure to the oil pump drive gear.

Also, if you look at the tensioner pulley, *that* flange is inward. It was Porsche's intent to have the flanges be opposite to keep the belt running on the true path.
im pretty sure but...if van the man says so who am i to contradict the video-making race-car driver-man.

redacted.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I just know, because I've been guilty of putting it on backwards myself!

Here are pics from PET and the FSM:
Attached Images   
Old 06-04-2015, 06:32 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscharu
To answer the OP's question.....it doesn't matter which way you mount the pulley since yours does not have a flange. The one on my S2 didn't have a flange either. You can probably see where the belt rode before. Good luck.
Thanks. I think I have it on the same way that it came apart but I'm not 100% sure since I failed to record it when I disassembled. I figured it doesn't matter though since my S pulley doesn't appear to be different from one side to the other anyway.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:12 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Well, I either guessed right on the orientation of the pulley or it doesn't matter. The belt job was a success. Even runs smoother at idle now. I still need to replace motor mounts but it seems a PO had the balance shafts mistimed because prior to this I had a paintshaker idle. Now it's far less severe. I made a note to inspect the oil pickup when I do the oil pan gasket later this year.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Timing Belt Pulley Orientation?