Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:32 AM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch replacement

I've mentioned here in the past that the clutch in my '86 NA needs to be replaced. I've never gotten around to doing it myself. Now I'm starting to think I may just have a shop do it.

Approximately what would it cost to have a repair shop replace the clutch, including all parts and labor?

Also, does anyone know of any Porsche-experienced repair shops in the Baltimore, MD area?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you're sitting down...

Book time for a Turbo is 22 hours (standard) or 16 hours (Turbo S), and clutch kit around $1K+. The NA should be significantly less, but that should give you an idea.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 AM
JJR512
Instructor

$1k for parts is about what I've seen for DIY, and I've seen 16 hours as well. But I've also heard that experienced mechanics could do it a lot quicker. Will a shop charge for the book time, or for how long it actually takes them? And what's an average hourly labor rate? I don't have much experience with repair shops.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:54 AM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Shops usually charge book time, unless you're a friend of the business and they're doing you a favor. Why should they get paid less for getting better at their job, after all?

Most reputable indie shops are $125-150 per hour.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:06 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

It just so happens that I'm having the clutch done on my 86 Turbo in a few weeks. I have recent research...

As mentioned, book time can be up to 20+ hours. However each shop I spoke to claimed they could do it in 12-14 hours, depending on what style of crossover pipe you have (one or two-piece, changed in 1986 apparently - one requires the removal of the entire inlet manifold which adds an hour or two labor on).

I cross-shopped against my usual indy, and two that were recommended to me. My usual is a sort-of start-up shop, run by some younger guys who specialize in German metal. I trust them totally with minor jobs - oil changes, brakes and the like - but I got a little apprehensive with their lack of experience in tackling something so big. It took them two weeks just to get back to me with a price, and when they did, the list seemed very generic and included every available option.

In the end I went with another shop. The mechanic there has been doing this for 40+ years and has hundreds of clutch jobs under his belt. He costs a little more hourly, but said if he can shave some time off then that would be reflected (he won't stick to a minimum number of hours). He spent no shorter than 40 minutes on the phone with me going through what's involved and all the prep work he undertakes (remember this is a ~30 year old car with plenty of opportunity for seized parts) and all the pitfalls (e.g.; breaking crank sensors) that lay ahead for someone inexperienced. Where my usual indy wanted to do things like resurface the flywheel automatically, he said it may not even be required.

The biggest difference is that he recommended using the uprated sports clutch kit rather than the standard rubber-center - he said that every time he used the standard kit in the past owners would be back within two years needing a replacement. With this many hours of work required, he'll only install the better kit (~$400 more) and essentially guarantee there won't be heartache down the line.

The costs were only a couple of hundred difference. My guy is going to be charging around $3200 upwards, depending on the crossover pipe and any other jobs he notes need to be done while he's in there. Labor cost is $110/hr and that price includes my local 13% sales tax.

TL;DR - with such a complex job where experience is key, it's worth paying for that experience as to do it right and not damage other parts while in there.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll share with you my clutch replacement occurrences with my 86 NA purchased new from the Porsche Dealership, Joe Coker Imports in Mobile Alabama, with 26 miles:

1st clutch change was in 1995 with 129,361 miles
-- Changed by Porsche dealership in Missouri
-- I supplied the clutch kit (purchased from Vertex at $484)
-- Rubber center clutch
-- Labor to install clutch was $876

2nd clutch change was in 2004 with 259,000 miles
-- Changed by a local Porsche shop in West Chester PA
-- I supplied the clutch kit (purchased from Zims at $567)
-- Rubber clutch kit (was hard to find one available)
-- Labor to install clutch was $800

Currently at 290,000 miles and not planning on another clutch change for a while.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Biscuits704
It just so happens that I'm having the clutch done on my 86 Turbo in a few weeks.

The biggest difference is that he recommended using the uprated sports clutch kit rather than the standard rubber-center - he said that every time he used the standard kit in the past owners would be back within two years needing a replacement.

Labor cost is $110/hr and that price includes my local 13% sales tax.
You may want to do some more research or clarify some things with the people you have been talking to.

The Turbo cars never came with a rubber centered clutch. So if this quy even mentioned that then he really doesn't know what he is talking about or he is BSing you!

Secondly, labor shouldn't be taxed, only parts.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
You may want to do some more research or clarify some things with the people you have been talking to.

The Turbo cars never came with a rubber centered clutch. So if this quy even mentioned that then he really doesn't know what he is talking about or he is BSing you!

Secondly, labor shouldn't be taxed, only parts.
Yes, my mistake - he was talking about the spring arrangement in the standard Sachs clutch. I can't remember the exact details. The mechanic I am using has decades of experience, was main wrench man for Scott Goodyear during his Turbo Cup days and has a glowing reputation in our local community. I think I can trust him.

Labor is taxed where I live.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:57 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Biscuits704
Yes, my mistake - he was talking about the spring arrangement in the standard Sachs clutch. I can't remember the exact details.
He's recommending you upgrade to the M754 "Cup" friction disc.

While both discs have four, large, outer springs, the standard disc has an additional six, smaller, springs around the splined center section to absorb drivetrain chatter/vibration.

With the Cup disc, you'll undoubtedly pick up additional driveline NVH in the cabin. Not much...and certainly not enough to deter me from upgrading to a more robust OEM part.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:12 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Believe we have a DIY tech article that may be of some assistance here.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-01-2015, 02:27 PM
johncos3777
Intermediate

Have fun with that. Just had it done on my '86 Turbo this past weekend. $4,200 or put another way, $700 more than I paid for the entire car 2 years ago.

Last edited by johncos3777; 06-01-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:32 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Believe we have a DIY tech article that may be of some assistance here.

-Luccia
There is not.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's our tech article:

https://www.paragon-products.com/kb_results.asp?ID=22

https://www.paragon-products.com/kb_results.asp?ID=23

Clutch kit plus accessory kit will be in the $760-800 range depending on whether you need the clutch lever shaft.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement