Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering rack toe

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering rack toe

I took the steering out for service and I am putting it back in now. I noticed that one of my shock is leaking. I know I should take it to alignment shop after touching the steering and tie rod... but I probably going to replace the shocks in a month or so.

The steering rack should change the toe only. (I haven't remove the struts. ) If I "home align" the toe after finish the steering rack job, do you think I can wait until I replace the shocks before doing an alignment?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:11 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming you removed the tie rods from the steering rack to do the service? If you didn't remove the tie rods from the rack, or if you didn't adjust the outer tie rod, and just took the inner/outer tie rod off as an assembly, your toe shouldn't be changed much, if at all. It may be out of alignment but it shouldn't be so far off that the car isn't OK to drive for a short period. Just don't drive around for long without an alignment or you may get funky tire wear.

I have "eyeballed" an alignment at home a couple of times before in similar situations where I had another planned maintenance or repair item coming up soon that would require another alignment. You can get it close enough to work and avoid paying for two alignments. It's not going to be ideal, but the last time I took in an eyeballed alignment to get it professionally set up, it wasn't really all that far off, either.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Get a set of these (or make do with some metal and 2 tape measures) and you'll get darn close.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Longac...jIkaAk5Y8P8HAQ
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM
yorkee
Instructor

Thanks for all the idea. I took out the whole rack and do a initial measure on paper, then I insert the new ball joint I matched it as close as I did on the paper. Turn out I have way too much toe in on driver side... fail

Van, I like those plate but it's kinna expensive consider they are just metal plate. That said I am not certain I can build something like this myself while keeping the plate straight.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

a couple 2' sections 3/4" bar stock and a couple tape measures will get you close. look at the quicktrick website and emulate that idea.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by yorkee
Thanks for all the idea. I took out the whole rack and do a initial measure on paper, then I insert the new ball joint I matched it as close as I did on the paper. Turn out I have way too much toe in on driver side... fail

Van, I like those plate but it's kinna expensive consider they are just metal plate. That said I am not certain I can build something like this myself while keeping the plate straight.
Two 2' levels - or even aluminum angle iron can also work...

The toe plates are nice because they're easy to use without a helper. Maybe you could cut some out of some plywood?
Old 06-01-2015, 02:46 PM
johncos3777
Intermediate

I adjusted my alignment using a tape measure, very easy to do. The distance between tires must be the exact same, front and back. I also adjusted camber with a level and tape measure. Jack up the front so it is exactly level. Set your level against each tire, and measure out from the bottom of your tire to the level. make sure both sides have the same measurement. Quick, dirty and effective.

Quick Reply: steering rack toe