Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best years for 944?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:24 PM
EMan 928
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Best years for 944?

Are some years of the 944 considered better than others? Saw a nice 84 base 944 but didn't know if I should be focusing on the later years.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:43 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends. There are advantages and disadvantages to both the early and late cars.

The early cars are lighter, have suspensions that are much cheaper and easier to overhaul, and can mount Fuchs wheels. They have a more vintage-looking interior that tends not to age very well (cracking of the dash, mainly - this affects later cars as well though not to the same degree of severity). The HVAC system of the early cars leaves a lot to be desired, especially in terms of air conditioning. However, it's not expensive to repair if it does break, like the later cars are. It's all cable-operated and mechanical whereas the later HVAC system is vacuum-operated and electronically controlled.

The later cars have a more "modern" interior that (IMO) looks kind of generic. It's a nice enough interior, but it could have just as easily come out of a Ford Taurus as a Porsche. However, it does tend to weather the years a little better than the early square-dash interior does. The offset changes for the later cars in '87, preventing you from fitting a nice set of Fuchs but allowing you to fit most modern Porsche wheels. The suspension is changed to aluminum bits, the balljoints are no longer a bolt-on affair, and the bushings are more expensive to replace.

If you want a Turbo, S, or S2, you have no choice - they're all late cars. The switchover happened in mid-'85. I think the early NAs are nice, though, and I'd love to have an '83 with all the options deleted to turn into a stripped-down "RS" style car.

However, I think generally the newer cars benefit from the sort of engineering refinements that naturally happen as a model ages, and they tend to be more reliable in general. Not that early cars aren't or can't be reliable, though.

Mainly, it's a lot of little changes that make the later cars a little more refined and a bit heavier than the earlier cars.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

^nailed it
it really depends on what you're looking for.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:24 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

At this point, so many parts have been swapped between 944s that it doesn't matter beyond if it's an early or late car. My interior is from a few early cars, trans is from an 85.5, torque tube from a different 83, wheels from an 86 951, a smattering of "upgrade" parts from late cars, etc, you get the idea. The vast majority of 944s are the same way. Just decide on what you want in the car and then go from there.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree with whats been said. Some 88 and newer have abs which you might want or not want.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:34 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by EMan 928
Are some years of the 944 considered better than others? Saw a nice 84 base 944 but didn't know if I should be focusing on the later years.
Hey EMan - if you're not doing anything tomorrow (5/23/15) - you might want to stop out at our farm in South Lyon. We are holding a RallyCross there. See the Detroit SCCA website for directions and details (or PM). We have a few 944s on site and can show you directly, many of the differences. Though the summary above is a great start.

There will also be a competitor there that has a 928 problem. He's got about five of them. You guys could share notes/ lies, etc.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 AM
EMan 928
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Hey EMan - if you're not doing anything tomorrow (5/23/15) - you might want to stop out at our farm in South Lyon. We are holding a RallyCross there. See the Detroit SCCA website for directions and details (or PM). We have a few 944s on site and can show you directly, many of the differences. Though the summary above is a great start.

There will also be a competitor there that has a 928 problem. He's got about five of them. You guys could share notes/ lies, etc.
Thanks, Scott.

Cn't make it this weekend, but maybe another time. Sounds cool.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

BTW, I was looking at an 84...any inherent problems/desirability opinions with that year
Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Thanks, Scott.

Cn't make it this weekend, but maybe another time. Sounds cool.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

BTW, I was looking at an 84...any inherent problems/desirability opinions with that year
We'll be doing it again on 9/19 and 12/5. Maybe you can make it to one of those.

The 84 was the first go round (83 - 85.1) for the 944. It carried over most everything from the 924 with the exception of the engine. It was now the Porsche developed 2.5 that powered the 944. The bulging fenders also made the 944 a more muscular and stylish looking car. The transaxle may have also been an upgade from the 924 (don't quote me on this).

Regarding the Fuchs comment. I have a set of Fuchs on my 86. The offset is right for all 944s (except possibly the turbos?) from that year rearward. 87 on saw the change to the "late" offset driven by the availabilty of ABS.

As already pointed out, these early cars were slightly lighter than later editions. I think manual steering was common (maybe even the only way they could be had?). This by itself is desirable. Later 944s are notorious for leaking power steering systems.

Some minor "deficiencies" for these early cars were addressed beginning in the 85.5 model run. The windshield became flush mounted and the antenna was integral. The antenna on the LF fender of the early car is not a great styling feature. Aluminum controls arms replaced the steel units from the early cars. This also has pros and cons (i.e. front lower ball joint replacement).

One of the biggest things was the change to the interior. Most prefer the changes from 85.5 on. One important consideration, if you are tallish, the later cars provided more (thigh) clearance to the steering wheel.

It's hard to go wrong with these cars. They all are inherently good. It just depends what features you find most important. There should be plenty of good information on the web that documents the history and evolution of the car.

Best of luck.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Worst part of the early cars ('82* to '85 of course), IMO, is the hollow left front spindle for the speedo drive cable.

Since it's hollow, it can break under lots of load. Personally I would want them both solid.

*Model Year '82 was Europe only, it was introduced in North America for the '83 MY.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want, you can take a look at my '84, maybe even take it for a spin, and see if you like it, or if it's what you're looking for.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Worst part of the early cars ('82* to '85 of course), IMO, is the hollow left front spindle for the speedo drive cable.

Since it's hollow, it can break under lots of load. Personally I would want them both solid.

*Model Year '82 was Europe only, it was introduced in North America for the '83 MY.
add the fully hideous early dash and non-existent AC./heat fan/ducting/frostbite and scorching hot inside.

somewhat passable for the LA basin.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:36 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Early, no fuel lines over a barbecue.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:17 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the 924 interior, the early 944 interior is great as well. If everything is at its place and it works as it should, ventilation is sufficient. Designwise i think that the late interior could be from a Ford..it does not have that Porsche feeling or look.

But late cars are more refined, more confortable and safe...and the best in my opinion is the very late S2 model with colored interiors. Only that pulls the late 944 out of interior dullness.

However, there is the rust problem. While very early 924s rust because of not galvanic protection, anything over 1980 does not...excepting the late 944s...which rust quite badly.
All that refining and added equipment has to be paid by something...and thats steel quality and surface treatment.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:11 PM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Wait, later 944s rust easier than early 944s??
Old 05-23-2015, 03:13 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never heard of late 944s "rusting quite badly" in 3 cars and 20+ years of ownership. These cars were all galvanized from the factory and came with a 10 year corrosion warranty.

I've never even seen a rusted out 944, actually. Maybe it's possible under extreme circumstances, but these cars are certainly not known to rust and quite the opposite in my experience.

Quick Reply: Best years for 944?