Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best years for 944?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 01:13 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The early cars are cheaper and a bit less desirable in 951 for a host of reasons in comparison to what came out midyear in 1988 with the 88.2 model with bump in power and other important refinements.
Not that a perfect early car is not worth looking at, but at this juncture in time when the world is your oyster, why not concentrate on the BEST of the best in 951 ? The '88.2, the '89 turbo, and the handful of '90s which carry the hardened gearsets. The superb 44/52 engine, the LSD, M030 pkg, and the FUCHS wheels which are the forged ClubSports ...... they command good money, are hard to find, but oh , so MUCH more worth the joy of ownership. We are talking low production numbers compared to lets say the first cars..... the ''86 model year, so these will never lose their place in history or in value of collectability.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM
V996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's not forget the 968. Fantastic cars and they have a timeless design. Always get looks in it.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:31 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with an early turbo. Sure the '88 S is worth more and the'89 has all the goodies the S has, but the '86 cars are simpler, lighter, and have the deep dish wheels (fuchs as an option). I personally prefer the '86 models, but would love to have a Silver Rose S as a car that sits in the garage. As for the engines, there has been a lot of documented history that not all later turbo S spec cars have forged rods and I have never heard of an early car that does not have the forged rods. Just my $.02

As others have said, buy the best conditioned, best maintained car you can find and don't worry about mileage and the year. They are all wonderful cars and all of them have there advantages and disadvantages.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, early vs late is all personal preference. I prefer the late, which is why I went with an S2. I think the most important factor is finding the best example with all maintenance done. Happy hunting.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:07 AM
MRDUNLOP944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how people hate on the early 944. I own a early 85 and it has been a fantastic vehicle.
Very easy to fix, parts are affordable and easy to find. The interior has the old school cool to it, "Late 944 dash" looks much like a Honda dash.
Not sure why people are so concerned about the hollow drivers spindle. If it is a track car then yes, it is a problem and should be changed.
Nice example early 944 are the way to go.
If you can afford to maintain an S2 you should probably just buy the 968. Best of them all.

Last edited by MRDUNLOP944; 06-23-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:18 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRDUNLOP944
Funny how people hate on the early 944. I own a early 85 and it has been a fantastic vehicle.
Very easy to fix, parts are affordable and easy to find. The interior has the old school cool to it, "Late 944 dash" looks much like a Honda dash.
Not sure why people are so concerned about the hollow drivers spindle. If it is a track car then yes, it is a problem and should be changed.
Nice example early 944 are the way to go.
If you can afford to maintain an S2 you should probably just buy the 968. Best of them all.
+1

I think its the consumer mindset..that new is best, newer is better...anything old is crap, patina is crap...that kind of lack of sophistication.

I agree on the late interior of the 944(just as bad as the 996)
Old 06-23-2015, 05:28 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

In the end, any "944 guy" or anyone knowledgeable in these cars would not be able to pick out any year or model as being bad or must avoid. The most important thing to look for would be condition. But let me tell you right now: Don't buy an NA and expect to "turbo" it later! There are dozens of threads from over the years of people asking how to turbo their NA, and the prevailing answer is to sell the NA and buy a turbo!

I don't know about other parts of the world, but in CA I don't see 944s rusted that badly. The worst I've seen is a rotten battery tray. That happened to my '84 but not my later ones, FWIW.

How can you all say the late 944 interior looks like it's from a ford?! The dash reminds me of a 911 with the upper/lower split and the black inset divider. The center console reminds me of a 928. On the other hand, the early dash looks like a fiero's or late 70's firebird.

@ mrgreenjeans, the later 951S's did not have stronger internals. All 951s had the same forged crankshafts and pistons, but there was a point when they switched from forged rods to cast, and it was sometime in '87 I think.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:18 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the 911 dash is nice? lol
I do like the very late interiors, dash and all, with a twist of color...that blue S2 interior...thats nice.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:54 AM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
How can you all say the late 944 interior looks like it's from a ford?! The dash reminds me of a 911 with the upper/lower split and the black inset divider. The center console reminds me of a 928. On the other hand, the early dash looks like a fiero's or late 70's firebird.
It's reminiscent of the 911 interior, but the upper/lower split is less prominent, which to me makes it look more like a 90s Ford than a 911, but it's not a bad-looking interior either, just not terribly distinctive 25+ years on.

The early dash is a big departure from more modern interior styling, and that gives it some charm IMO. It's unfortunate that the materials used in the early interior don't seem to stand the test of time quite as well as the late interiors, though.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Regarding interiour:
I wanted a sports car. The early cars have coned plastic covers on the main gauges so they never reflect the sun and blind you. They are always visible not like any other design including the late dash.

This alone makes me prefer early cars. This shows me attention to detail and a sports car for a driver. The later design is more comfy for rich people. Anyhow, this is my opinion.

No ABS, no airbag, no BS.
They are lighter as well.

So only 163 HP (in Europe)?
Answer: Could you drive this car at its limits in a twisty road? Most people who make this criticism could not and only a handful here can. So? If you want to be king in a straight line then avoid 944s altogether. Otherwise get an early car or a 924.

Good point at not turbocharging later. That's never gonna happen. Supercharging? No. Some really dedicated people have done it, respect them, but if you are new forget it.

You can add a MAF and cam easily which will bump your power to around 180 hp. That is all you will reasonably spend on the car. I'm building a stroker NA but for that money you could probably swap a V8...

My mistake?
I thought getting a mint condition 944 will give me a trouble-free car for many years. I was wrong, very much so.
What I overlooked was that a 25 year old car will need you to replace _everything_ very soon. Parts cost a fortune, just think about water pump, clutch, etc.

I love mine but the quote somewhere couldn't be more true:
"The most expensive thing in this world is a cheap Porsche." (Can't recall word-by-word, sorry.)
Old 09-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Look up Wikipedia on this question. Would like to add thou that the 87+ 951 had bigger pistons in the four piston fixed Brembo calipers along with the late offset wheels. And most of the suspention can be interchanged between models.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:05 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=FRporscheman;12379442

@ mrgreenjeans, the later 951S's did not have stronger internals. All 951s had the same forged crankshafts and pistons, but there was a point when they switched from forged rods to cast, and it was sometime in '87 I think.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is a well documented fact the final development of the 44/52 turbo engine is a stronger more robust engine because of the forged internals.

About midway thru the last year at a fairly high serial # , the forged componentry reverted once again to cast.

Folks who are on the search for the strongest core to build up a motor from are avidly searching out the 88.2 and 89 turbo S and turbo engine to start with.
These are the reasons why, as it is the strongest, most potent, and the final development of the 951 drivetrain Porsche constructed.

Check and verify this fact with any top engine builder or any knowledgeable trackday enthusiast utilizing the 951
Old 09-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Erm, sorry but thats just not true. Fr porscheman is right.

If anything later cars came with weaker engine since some or all of them used cast rods vs rarst forged ones.

Early vs late long block main differences are balancing shafts, automatic tensioner, different shape oil pump cast and different exhaust valves number.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I feel the best years and model was the 86 to 89 951/944 in the U.S. The 87+ 951 years more so. They had Airbags as standard equipment. I only deal with the 85.5+ 944/951 chassis only. Personally I'm not a fan of the interior of the early style. And can't afford a 968. So I'm happily stuck in the middle.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:27 AM
joeystanker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All years.

Quick Reply: Best years for 944?