Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet removed... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Carpet removed... now what?

I finally have the 944 back with the roll cage but the carpet was removed for the welding. Somehow, it didn't seem to make the inside of the car any louder. I guess all that old compressed foam wasn't doing much, or the big exhaust is the decisive factor here.

The interior floor paint is peeling up in the drivers side area. So I need to scrape and prime that, but spray is out of the question right now with everything currently in the car. What sort of brush on/roll on primer/paint would work well for this?

Also, I'd love for the floor to be flat again, perhaps textured for my heels. I kind of hate them slipping around while I'm driving. But I haven't found any decent flooring solutions. At first I thought rennline track mats, but I'm not sure how they'd work without carpet. For the 993 they have that nice bolt in race option but nothing like that for the 944.

I see some people ordering alu diamond plate and then cutting to fit? I could do that but it will be a lot of effort to fit it. Is there anything premade out there?

tl;dr - need brush on floor paint and flat track floor mat options.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm thinking that a roll-on truck bed liner would work for your install or sound deadening mat that you see on tv hot rod rebuild shows. For the heel platform you might consider using the non-skid tape they use on airplane wings and boat decks.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

you might try grip-tape like they use on skateboards.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:54 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

You could try a painted or oil stained piece of plywood. I installed a sheet of stainless steel for heel plates and that was a mistake. I'm not usually out in the rain so slip is less of a concern for me but they are very hard and I feel it after a long ride or day in the car.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:02 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Player0, who did the cage work? Heard of a guy that runs a company called Cage This in Boston area. If you don't mind posting some pics of the work, and maybe PM what you payed?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Ah, this is just a bolt in Safety Devices cage. But most of the interior came out to install and weld the plates in as well as the new seats.

Ugh, I will be endlessly scraping old carpet glue and other gunk.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

yes... yes you will. Porsche really went to town didn't they?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:02 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Player0
The interior floor paint is peeling up in the drivers side area.
What you're probably seeing is the paint coming off the sound insulation. I highly doubt the paint is peeling off the metal. Possible, but unlikely.

There is very thick sound insulation in seven spots in the interior: in both footwells, both rear floors, on each side of the tunnel, and one big one in the rear deck. IIRC they are a 1/8" or 3/16" thick.

They were applied before the finish coat process (but IIRC after primer coat). As such, they aren't very noticeable. Removing them leaves a big splotch of primer.

They are a PITA to remove. I would recommend leaving them. I don't remember where the tunnel ones are located exactly, those may need to be removed for proper harness installation.

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I'm thinking that a roll-on truck bed liner would work
If you choose this, be advised removing it, from what I hear, is just about impossible.

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
you might consider using the non-skid tape they use on airplane wings and boat decks.
Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you might try grip-tape like they use on skateboards.
+1.

Ugh, I will be endlessly scraping old carpet glue and other gunk.
Yep. Don the gloves and mask, and scrape away!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

The paint has definitely gone missing from a large portion of the driver foot well. It certainly looks like bare metal and has some rusty spots. I'll have to get some pictures tomorrow. I spent most of my today taking the wife out since I'll be doing DE on mother's day
Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

If you are going to suffer through this tenacious process then you might want to try paint stripper & a heat gun & like french toast says "gloves"... and do it in a well vented area.

The problem with the stripper is ANY residue will cause problems for new paint.

But if you get on it with a good plastic scraper like 10 minutes, then the paint remover works wonder (don't wait too long or it just dries up). Your hands will hurt... you will curse your birth... and Germany
Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use an oscillating tool with a scraper blade, the 110V version, not battery. It takes a little elbow grease but it will come off. I did mine last year and then painted the interior white. Strictly a track car. Don't use plywood. You don't want anything in there that readily burns. I use the anti-skid tape under my feet, like someone suggested.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Oh, it wasn't rust. It was rust colored glue. And it's *not* down to bare metal, there is a bit of rubber whatchamaever under the floor pans. It's kind of brittle and the original paint isn't really sticking too it any more.

Is that stuff flammable? Should I remove it?

The oscillating saw and scraper attatchment worked wonders. I also have a paint stripper wheel for the angle grinder that also worked very well. Both of those tools tend to get down to bare metal though. So I have a lot of touch up priming. But I think it's worth it to get all this disgusting fuzz out. I wonder if that stuff is a fire hazard? Might be treated.

Went through a bottle of goo gone too. That stuff helps quite a bit. I see all these pristine race prepped 944s and I'll really know to appreciate them the next time.

Oh, so far I've left the heat/sound/whatmever dampening material under the foot pedals and around the very front of the transmission tunnel. It's got some cracks but seems to be in good shape otherwise. Should that stuff go too? I bet there it's doing a lot to keep heat out.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got rid of everything attached to the floor inside. All the insulation, and glue. I started with a stripped tub. No dash, wires, cage, etc. So, it made it easier to remove all that stuff and paint it before I put what I wanted back in the car. Probably looks something like one of the race prepped cars you mentioned :-)
Old 05-05-2015, 10:58 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh, it wasn't rust. It was rust colored glue.
I had a feeling this would be the case.

Is that stuff flammable? Should I remove it?
To what exactly do you refer? There is a lot of 'stuff' in the interior, from horsehair to insulation to rubber padding. I'd imagine the horsehair is, I don't know about the other stuff.

Oh, so far I've left the heat/sound/whatmever dampening material under the foot pedals and around the very front of the transmission tunnel. It's got some cracks but seems to be in good shape otherwise. Should that stuff go too? I bet there it's doing a lot to keep heat out.
Up to you, of course.

I'd leave the footwell ones. Good insulation and slightly softer than bare metal for your feet. Unless you plan on repainting the entire interior, I'd leave them.

You can replace it with something else if you want, but the quality with which that pad was applied can't be easily replicated.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:44 AM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Having removed those mats and all the glue I can confidently say that it's not a project I would want to do again.

That being said, those sound dampening tar mats weigh FAR more than I expected they would. Depending on how competitive your class is, that weight reduction might make sense. It will make the car a lot noisier though.

Just get a good heat gun and go to town for 30 mins per day and you'll have it out before you know it.

Quick Reply: Carpet removed... now what?