Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start with injectors clicking

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default no start with injectors clicking

Just got car back with new turbo, and still wont rev out. As I was turnin g into work this morning car died at worst possible time while turning in peak period traffic. Now wont start but when I turn ign on(lights on dash before trying to crank it)the injectors are clicking like crazy
Any ideas ? TIA
Old 05-01-2015, 12:19 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Time to look for tach bounce..and fuel pump relay (DME)...or the clark's garage 3 prong jumper..sound like it might have fuel starvation, esp if the revs are still low..might even be a bad FPR or damper..speculation at this point unless we have more data
Old 05-01-2015, 12:42 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

What does fuel pressure look like? and do you have spark?

I got this from Bruce, have used it a lot and it's reasonably priced.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...0#.VUL109pVikp

He also makes an ignition checker... I ordered it today.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...1#.VUL1ZdpViko
Old 05-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I got car going but can't think why injectors would be clicking with car not started. The key was in the position before you crank, when lights on dash come on. I grabbed a spare DME relay today, so if it happens again will swap it in but not sure how a bad relay would cause clicking or what else would. Any ideas would be appreciated

Lack of fuel would explain car dying when I try and get revs/boost up, but I cannot use that arnworx gauge as I have a CEP fuel rail. FPR/fuel filter/fuel pump have all been replaced after problem started.

Michael the second link says no product found and have gone through site but cannot find any ignition checker
Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 AM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the shop tightened down the ground on the back of the block, that seems to be a common thing that gets missed when people get work done. If the injectors are clicking you must be getting reference sensor information, so I expect you to see tach bounce. This could be classic DME relay failure. Wrap a paper clip around the relay posts and reinsert it for now if you need to, just make sure to remove it each time you stop because the fuel pump will keep running even when the car is off.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:15 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky

Michael the second link says no product found and have gone through site but cannot find any ignition checker
Weird I couldn't find it either. Maybe email him? This was my invoice:

Code:
Order Number: 1666
Date Ordered: Thursday 30 April, 2015

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Ignition Tester (IT1)  = $9.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $9.00
United States Postal Service (First-Class Mail Parcel (2 - 5 days)): $3.89
Sales Tax: $0.00
Total: $12.89
I highly recommend the fuel pressure gauge, it makes troubleshooting starting/running problems a lot more logical.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I actually got the shop to re-tap the threads on rear engine grounds and use new bolts, so those grounds are good. When the car wouldn't start(it would just crank and wouldn't fire), but before I cranked it the injectors were clicking. So ignition was on but wasn't trying to start it yet, and I could hear random clicking from injectors. I have never heard this when I switch on the ignition(before cranking). I am wondering if anyone has had this happen as injectors shouldn't click if you are just on ignition(pre-start/crank) and maybe it is a symptom that explains what is going on with my car ?

I will fit the new relay tomorrow and see if it makes any difference to other issue I have ie can't get on it full throttle with out it breaking up(this has been going on for nearly a year now).
Old 05-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sausagehacker

I highly recommend the fuel pressure gauge, it makes troubleshooting starting/running problems a lot more logical.
I have CEP rail so not sure how I could hook up the gauge

How does ign tester work ?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:38 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is really bizarre to have injectors firing when the engine isn't turning. The DME needs to have signals from both reference sensors before it will fire injectors. Are you absolutely positively the clicking was coming from the injectors?
Old 05-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

yes and tach is moving like the car is starting. Replaced DME relay and nothing changed
Old 05-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Dear Cyber: Is this on a 944? I found on E-Bay an aluminum adapter that is machined to fit on the end of the fuel rail..A small fuel pressure gauge can be screwed into it..and left there for future reference..An outfit called OEM here in the states makes a pretty good spark checker..for little $$. Check the AutoZone website for it..pretty handy gadget...
Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Dear Cyber: Is this on a 944? I found on E-Bay an aluminum adapter that is machined to fit on the end of the fuel rail..A small fuel pressure gauge can be screwed into it..and left there for future reference..An outfit called OEM here in the states makes a pretty good spark checker..for little $$. Check the AutoZone website for it..pretty handy gadget...
Yes it is a 952(944 turbo RHD). The CEP fuel rail is a custom billet aluminium rail and so doesn't have fitting on end for pressure testing. The testers I can easily source but it's the hooking up that is problematic
Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

This is a pic of fuel rail and as you can see the fuel line is attached where the test port would be in a stock rail. I would have to fit a T piece to be able to fit a guage and to be honest having read a few horror stories about guages failing and spilling fuel over hot exhaust and so near spark plugs, I would have to cap a T piece and only fit gauge when testing

Old 05-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Great looking engine bay! yeah, you'd probably have to fit it between the rail and the return/delivery line on top of the rail for easy access. Getting the right adapters to go in between the fittings could be a bit adventuresome, but doable. If you hear the injectors clicking, they must be dry..do you hear them click after the engine starts? How is the fuel rail fed from the tank? Are there rubber lines feeding it? Perhaps the delivery line has deteriorated internally, blocking the fuel flow to the rail. Grasping at straws here...
Old 05-03-2015, 04:47 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

The fuel lines were replaced with Rennbay aeroquip lines when I first got the car about 4 years ago so should be fine, and I have also replaced fuel filter and fitted a HV pump from LR. The metal tubes inbetween are original so that is only place that could have a blockage issue.
The FPR was replaced with a 3 bar but car had same issue with the 2.5 FPR.

If it isn't injectors then it could be idle stabilizer valve but I couldn't be 100% sure where sound was coming from. Will have to see if I can work out exactly where clicking is coming from

Quick Reply: no start with injectors clicking