Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Insurance settlement

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Question about Insurance settlement

Hi all,

Some of you know that my car was backed into a few weeks ago. Tomorrow it goes into the body shop.
It will be getting a new front fender and "maybe" a new bumper cover.

Here is my question, my car has quite a few stone chips on the nose, fenders and hood.
They are planning to paint the entire nose but will NOT strip the paint because insurance wont cover the non damaged area. So when they blend the paint they just plan to paint over the chips, causing the new paint to be pitted.
Now I plan to pay whatever I need to and get it done right but it seems that it's not fair that I have to pay for this.
I had no problem with my stone chips as they where, but being just painted over would look like crap and the new fender will have none.

Know what I mean? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Techmonkey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ever you do dont take car from the shop until you are happy.
Once it leaves they consider the job completed and you will have no recourse.

Good Luck!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Techmonkey
what ever you do dont take car from the shop until you are happy.
Once it leaves they consider the job completed and you will have no recourse.

Good Luck!!!!!!
Tech, that depends on the shop, I have a good relationship with this shop. I had some work done there on my 911 and was unhappy with a few things. They took the car back and made it perfect
Old 09-01-2003, 06:29 PM
Techmonkey
Advanced

It is just a different deal with insurance settlements
Shops take things back more often when you pay
Do you have a personal relationship or professional?
I just get scared when insurance companies come into play because they don't like to pay.

Just a word to the wise.

and once agian the best of LUCK with the repair work.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Techmonkey
It is just a different deal with insurance settlements
Shops take things back more often when you pay
Do you have a personal relationship or professional?
I just get scared when insurance companies come into play because they don't like to pay.

Just a word to the wise.

and once agian the best of LUCK with the repair work.
Thanks!
These guys have done ALOT of work for myself and friends, I would say at this point it's a personal relationship. I know they will not screw me.
Now the insurance company, thats another story.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Techmonkey
Advanced

good hope everything works out.

Didn't want to sound like a Preacher

Just hate to see the "MAN" screw anyone.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:02 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Has the shop quoted you a price for the additional work? If they have how much more is it? Just curious how much is the insured damage and is it your insurance that is paying for it? My mother backed into my right front fender when I was over at her house. The repair shop I used banged out the fender and painted it and I cant even feel anything out of place (no bumps) on the inside of the fender. This shop doesn’t use bondo (sp?) to fill irregularities, the said they use lead. I had them only paint the fender because I figured if they had feathered it eventually it would be more noticeable. I should have asked them how much more to fix the paint chips and paint the whole front of the car.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:14 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear that man. I am in a law suit because someone backed into me (that has been my gf's friend for years) and the insurance company will only pay for the nose panel while they damaged the bumper cover. Also had bunch of problems getting there insurance information. These days I don't think you can trust many people luckly the Porsche crowd is different. Good luck and keep going at it with the insurance company my lawyer said "They will give in to pressure when they know they have lost"

Seb
Old 09-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Bruce '89 s2
Racer

Why not just pay the difference between the insuance quote and the shop quote for doing the job properly.
Had this when a deer jumped on my Merc 280CE at 30MPH in a blizzard and the difference in price was negligable for a COMPLETE respray - about £600 extra and a brilliant job - 9 years later it looks like they missed a bit on the roof and that was all.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:03 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Bruce '89 s2
Why not just pay the difference between the insuance quote and the shop quote for doing the job properly.
Had this when a deer jumped on my Merc 280CE at 30MPH in a blizzard and the difference in price was negligable for a COMPLETE respray - about £600 extra and a brilliant job - 9 years later it looks like they missed a bit on the roof and that was all.

Bruce,

That is the plan, I will pay.
But I feel that insurance should pick it up, dont you think if they are paying to fix the car it should be done right?
Old 09-01-2003, 10:03 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Yes it should be done right. What insurance company (may not want to say) some of the smaller ones try to trick people even more to save themselves money. Just don't settle until they pick up the tab.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

not knocking your shop, but i don't think a good shop will paint over chips knowing the result will be lousy.

my dad scraped a pole with his minivan a few weeks ago. the local shop i deal with pushed it out, and compounded the paint from the pole off the molding. there is still some damage, but my 81 yr old dad doesn't care. The shop owner wouldn't take money because the job was not one he could be proud of.

if the difference is negligible then pay it out of your pocket, otherwise bust the adjusters chops so that you get the job done right. also, are you sure you are getting a Porsche fender? do the aftermarket fenders have the zinc coating?
Old 09-01-2003, 11:35 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Tom R.
not knocking your shop, but i don't think a good shop will paint over chips knowing the result will be lousy.

my dad scraped a pole with his minivan a few weeks ago. the local shop i deal with pushed it out, and compounded the paint from the pole off the molding. there is still some damage, but my 81 yr old dad doesn't care. The shop owner wouldn't take money because the job was not one he could be proud of.

if the difference is negligible then pay it out of your pocket, otherwise bust the adjusters chops so that you get the job done right. also, are you sure you are getting a Porsche fender? do the aftermarket fenders have the zinc coating?
Tom,

It's not the shop, I cant expect them to pay to strip the old paint if they insurance company wont pay them for the time.
If I have to pay thats fine, but I still feel I am getting screwed a bit

However, I have it in writing from the insurance company they will use factory Porsche parts.

Quick Reply: Question about Insurance settlement