Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frustrated!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:21 AM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default frustrated!!!!!!

After replacing the alternator because I thought it was bad I STILL have a car that doesn't charge....I admit I am not real bright when it comes to car electrics but I do know the basics.....it starts right up with jumper cables and the "idiot light" goes out while running but there is something causing it to drain and not charge....also, while it is idling (900) the tack will jump up to about 1500 and jump around without any engine speed change....seems like a short somewhere....I guess I will be taking her to our local auto electric shop and see if they can find the problem and probably drain my bank account doing it.........
Old 09-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check all the ground straps?? especially the main one from the battery to body and the one to the top of the bell housing?? Make sure these cables are in good condition and the body connections are not corroded. easy to check and worth doing before you take it in to the shop.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:21 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Have you take to any of the auto parts stores that offer free battery/charging checks? They may also check for systrem drains if you ask.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Donn, sorry to hear that you are still having problems. If your local Autozone offers the free testing like most of them do, you might want to have that alternator that I gave you tested (and the battery, too, if you haven't already). I know it was good before, but it had been laying in the attic for a while. If it doesn't test good then get Vince to give you his from the back of his truck. He just left my house about 10 minutes ago, nice guy. Thanks for the hook up.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:06 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Wade....I don't think it is the alternator....I will check it out this week....I am thinking it may be the battery or there is a short somewhere.....the tachometer will jump up to 1500 rpm without the engine speed increasing...Vince is a good guy....I shoulda bought your 924 myself.....thanks for the help, though....
Old 09-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second checking those grounds. A bad or intermittant ground issue will prevent the battery from charging b/c the direct current system actually flows from the positive to the negative side. The whole car is one big circut (meaning there has to be a constant connection from the battery back to the battery). If the ground is bad, the current flow just stops, causing a "drain". That bad ground will also cause the speed and ref sensor signals to be disrupted, causing your strange guage readings.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:16 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like the battery is not holding a charge. I had the same problem I would put the battery charger on it and let it charge all night. Started right up first thing in the morning but by the time I came out of work the battery was dead. Replaced the battery and the problem was solved.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell the shop to test the battery while you're there and can watch.

Quick Reply: frustrated!!!!!!