Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this. Input would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 372 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Looking at this. Input would be appreciated.

Dealer car. He said he's had it for a year. Knows nothing about maintenance. Bought from divorce settlement.
The price is 3800$ neg,not the advertised 5900$.
What say you experts?

http://www.dantasautosales.com/mobil...yySjIDC7dBI%3d

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless you absolutely want an automatic, I'd avoid it. These cars are too much fun and a stick shift makes it complete. If you're patient, you can find one out there for around 4 grand in good shape. Check for maintenance history, especially on belts, leaks, water pump and date of tires. They may look good but if they're over 6 years old, I wouldn't drive them. I just bought an '86 951 (turbo) for $5900 and I'll put about 2 grand more in miscellaneous repairs, tires and total brake rebuild. Of course I do my own wrenching.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
Unless you absolutely want an automatic, I'd avoid it. These cars are too much fun and a stick shift makes it complete. If you're patient, you can find one out there for around 4 grand in good shape. Check for maintenance history, especially on belts, leaks, water pump and date of tires. They may look good but if they're over 6 years old, I wouldn't drive them. I just bought an '86 951 (turbo) for $5900 and I'll put about 2 grand more in miscellaneous repairs, tires and total brake rebuild. Of course I do my own wrenching.
Thanks.

But this one is a manual.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thanks.

Car looks clean inside and out for 100k.
Missing the 944 Badging, my guess the car is a repaint?
Make sure no rot in the battery compartment(PITA)
Fuel Lines need to be replaced ASAP(fire hazard, $200 fix, LART has the 3 piece fuel line kit to fix this)
Does a/c work?
Do all of the electric features work in the car(ie, power locks, windows, door, sunroof, radio, clock, guages, trunk release, seat adjuster)
Door Handle is pulled away from door (easy fix)
Hazard Button pushed into the dash (easy fix)
In the picture of the VIN, are those cracks in the windshield or salt/dirt? If cracked, plan on $300-$400 for a factory windshield (sekurit) if you can find anyone who has them available.

If you comfortable doing your own mechanical work on the car the N/A are much easier to work on with more room compared to Turbo's.

If you not comfortable doing the wrenching yourself, then I hope you have deep pockets.

Most independent porsche shops will run $85-$115/hr, and they go by the shop time for belts, and while they are there do the water pump, thermostat, rad hoses,front engine seals, cam races, oil pump gear.

Check out your sway bar bushings, if your p/s lines are leaking, your bushings on the passenger side are destroyed/swelled/missing.

Get a PPI done(Best $100 you'll ever spend if you want the right porsche)

So did I mention, are you comfortable doing your own wrenching?

No such thing as a cheap porsche.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thanks.

Ad says automatic.

Name:  auto ad 2.PNG
Views: 369
Size:  768.2 KB
Old 02-26-2015, 12:08 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

^^ this and more.

short answer; no.

what do you think of my rude Porsche math? does it make sense?

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...se-help-5.html

I dislike this car. slide it over to the untenable column.

it can be moved back over to the tenable side later.

sure it's only a few thousand dollars; but, frankly, why bother?

better to purchase a car from a credible maintenance freak who observes the speed limits.

we have such individuals here on Rennlist, preparing their journey from the fading 944 to the flat six....

a solid car is out there.

it will appear soon enough.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fiily
Car looks clean inside and out for 100k. Missing the 944 Badging, my guess the car is a repaint? Make sure no rot in the battery compartment(PITA) Fuel Lines need to be replaced ASAP(fire hazard, $200 fix, LART has the 3 piece fuel line kit to fix this) Does a/c work? Do all of the electric features work in the car(ie, power locks, windows, door, sunroof, radio, clock, guages, trunk release, seat adjuster) Door Handle is pulled away from door (easy fix) Hazard Button pushed into the dash (easy fix) In the picture of the VIN, are those cracks in the windshield or salt/dirt? If cracked, plan on $300-$400 for a factory windshield (sekurit) if you can find anyone who has them available. If you comfortable doing your own mechanical work on the car the N/A are much easier to work on with more room compared to Turbo's. If you not comfortable doing the wrenching yourself, then I hope you have deep pockets. Most independent porsche shops will run $85-$115/hr, and they go by the shop time for belts, and while they are there do the water pump, thermostat, rad hoses,front engine seals, cam races, oil pump gear. Check out your sway bar bushings, if your p/s lines are leaking, your bushings on the passenger side are destroyed/swelled/missing. Get a PPI done(Best $100 you'll ever spend if you want the right porsche) So did I mention, are you comfortable doing your own wrenching? No such thing as a cheap porsche. “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
Great input! Thanks.
Yes,I was planning to do my own work...
Old 02-26-2015, 12:20 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Ad says automatic.
1986 PORSCHE 944 2DR COUPE 5-SPD
100,201 MILES

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:23 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by odurandina
^^ this and more. short answer; no. what do you think of my rude Porsche math? does it make sense? https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-...se-help-5.html I dislike this car. slide it over to the untenable column. it can be moved back over to the tenable side later. sure it's only a few thousand dollars; but, frankly, why bother? better to purchase a car from a credible maintenance freak who observes the speed limits. we have such individuals here on Rennlist, preparing their journey from the fading 944 to the flat six.... a solid car is out there. it will appear soon enough.
That's what I was afraid...
Old 02-26-2015, 01:06 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

on second thought.

I see that interior and it lends some confidence to the previous owner/s motif.

not much to go on, but I should have been more open about the car being good.

please change my vote to, maybe.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:28 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a hard time trusting a car dealer who can't even get the transmission right when he makes the ad. To be frank, there are plenty of 944s for sale, it's a buyer's market. Use the internet to your advantage...there are places like Rennlist and Pelican Parts (just to name two, of many) where you can easily find sellers who are selling worthwhile cars. Check out a couple classified sections on various Porsche forums, and don't be afraid to travel to find the right one. I personally had to fly 2000 miles away to get my car, no regrets, I'm 1000% sure this is the perfect 944 for me.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:04 PM
drive135mph
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven the auto NA 944 and it feels way down on power compared to my manual 944 most notably in the corners. It really wasn't my jam. Converting it to stick is possible but, if it were me, I'd sooner pick up a rough 951 and live with climbing through the sunroof or whatever oddly expensive problem it has. 4 grand is alot to pay to be guaranteed to always be in the wrong gear.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by drive135mph
I've driven the auto NA 944 and it feels way down on power compared to my manual 944 most notably in the corners. It really wasn't my jam. Converting it to stick is possible but, if it were me, I'd sooner pick up a rough 951 and live with climbing through the sunroof or whatever oddly expensive problem it has. 4 grand is alot to pay to be guaranteed to always be in the wrong gear.
I'm sorry,but I think most people do not read the for sale ad,nor do they check the pictures. The car's a 5 speed manual transmission. Also,if you look at my signature you will see I'm not very fond of automatics.
Thanks for posting.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edit: offer to sell car was here. Waiting for now to work on it a little more

Last edited by Arominus; 02-26-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the offer^^^ but I'm good. Nice looking car though and it seems you've put a lot of work into it.
GLWS!

Quick Reply: Looking at this. Input would be appreciated.