Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side mirror disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Side mirror disassembly

I bought a spare set of side mirrors to paint to replace my rock chipped ones. I've got them all apart except where the two parts meet that allow the mirror to rotate if hit. Can these two pats be separated without damaging them. And just as importantly can they be put back together?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, I think it's just a nut clamping down on a spring that's around the shaft that the wires go through...
If it's not a nut then maybe the shaft has a hex for an allen wrench.

I've taken one apart before... but it was a long time ago.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

There does seem to be some recessed ribs around the shaft that the wires go through. Kinda like a torx head but with more ribs. Not sure what tool I would use there.

Also how would you remove the wire from the mirror housing that goes through the mirror into the car. I see where the wiring disconnects internal to the mirror housing but the connector is too big to go through the hole the wire goes into the car body with. Is there a disconnect in the car that allows you to pull the wires out of the mirror assembly with out cutting the wires?
Old 09-24-2014, 10:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

i don't remember how the parts bolt together but it sounds like youre describing a cheesehead/triple-square screw which would make sense to hold the mirror together, i think there's 3 of them?

there isn't a connector in the door for the mirror wiring. i just cut mine when removing mirrors for paint years ago, they didn't work anyways.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

You need a tool like this to push each pin out of the white plug. Then the wires come out with ease.

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...yPjxoCe-Tw_wcB
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
i don't remember how the parts bolt together but it sounds like youre describing a cheesehead/triple-square screw which would make sense to hold the mirror together, i think there's 3 of them?

there isn't a connector in the door for the mirror wiring. i just cut mine when removing mirrors for paint years ago, they didn't work anyways.
No not those is the piece the mirror rotates on and the wire run through
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did mine I used a triple square (12 point) and a lot of force to push that bolt in and screw it tight. However, the PO had cut the wires so it's almost as if you'd need a "hollow" triple square bit.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recipe is, cut the wires high inside the door (easier to re-splice than finding the tool, remembering which color goes where) , remove mirror, pull the mirror and motors out of stem/housing, rotate the stem a few degrees (so the housing lifts from the stem). Sand em, hang em, shoot em.

Getting the wires out of the door so the doors can come off, that part is a real pain....Bruce

PS the heater wires almost always have to be re-terminated.

PSS Just happen to have another car in paint now...single stage urethane: the garage painter's wham bam, thank you maam.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I was thinking the same. The only thing I didn't like about it was that there seems to be a plastic piece insert that I did't really want to paint. It is barely visible though.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM
kens_74911s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pins

The ink barrel of a traditional ball point pen will work to get the pins out if you can find the type of pen with metal ink reservoir as opposed to plastic.
Then the triple square bolt - A standard Allen wrench works if you don't have the 12 pt (triple square) bit.

Quick Reply: Side mirror disassembly