Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tricks for opening rear hatch w/out struts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any tricks for opening rear hatch w/out struts?

Just a few days ago I replaced the glass in my rear hatch with Lexan. I'm generally very pleased with the swap. Although I drive my car on the street a few thousand miles a year, my primary purpose for the car is driver's ed track days.

Anyway, it is now a serious PITA to get the hatch to open. I guess normally when you release the hatch, the pressure of the struts help release it. With the Lexan in place, I have removed the struts. I've tried turning the key while pulling up on the spoiler, and this worked once . . .

Anyway, at this time, the hatch is closed and I haven't had any luck getting it open. This will be problematic, as when I drive to the track, I have all my gear in the back. With Sparco seats and a roll bar, loading and unloading through the passenger compartment isn't an option.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

Check the alignment of your hatch pins, very likely they are off since you replaced the window.

Loosen the nuts holding the latches in place (above taillights) and barely tighten them, then close the hatch and climb inside and tighten them down more. Do this a few times until the hatch opens easily - you are using the hatch pins to align themselves with the latch.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:23 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
Check the alignment of your hatch pins, very likely they are off since you replaced the window. Loosen the nuts holding the latches in place (above taillights) and barely tighten them, then close the hatch and climb inside and tighten them down more. Do this a few times until the hatch opens easily - you are using the hatch pins to align themselves with the latch.
i put a piece of rubber moulding on each side of the hatch pin latch openings in the recessed areas. that will helps to pop the hatch up to let the pins clear the latches when you unlock it.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I've had a strutless hatch for years, always turn the key while pushing up on the spoiler. It's not totally easy but not hard. With lexan I figure yours should be super easy cause it's lightweight. Yours must be misaligned or something.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 PM
drive135mph
Instructor

I had a very similar problem. It turned out that my alignment was off. I reset everything and picked up some new hatch pins and it has worked fine since.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

I take the time to remove the brake lights... then you have all the access in the world to adjust the latches until the hatch works to your liking.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So you can't get it open?

If you can crawl into the trunk, loosen the latch receivers from the body, that should let the hatch open freely.

If you can't get into the trunk, try having someone keep the key turned while you wrestle with the hatch. Try pulling up one side at a time, then try pushing from either side of the frame while lifting to see if that helps unbind those pins.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the replies! In retrospect, I feel rather dim for posting this. It was, indeed, simply a matter of adjusting the positions of the latches. In this case, moving each one a tiny bit rearward.

Quick Reply: Any tricks for opening rear hatch w/out struts?