Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-factory alarm...car won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:21 AM
ptee.
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-factory alarm...car won't start.

Hi All! New here, but considering purchasing a 944 as a fun car/project to have. It would be my first Porsche...although my Dad has a 914 2.0 that is beautiful.

Anyway, there is an 87 944 for sale near me with 150k miles, all service records, and recent timing belt, water pump, and clutch changes. The only problem is...it

According to the seller, "Not currently running since I cut out (then reinstalled) the non factory alarm. All other electricals (windows, radio, sun roof) are operational."

I know there are a lot of threads on alarms, but it mainly seems like they are for factory alarms.

My question is...what is the chance that I can fix this relatively easily? I know there are no real details, but I'm wondering if I'm going to get screwed...any thoughts?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're going to need a factory wiring diagram, the ability to read said diagram (refer to Van Svenson on youtube) and a lot of patience.

I can be done, but is often a pain in the ***.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:10 PM
ptee.
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fara
You're going to need a factory wiring diagram, the ability to read said diagram (refer to Van Svenson on youtube) and a lot of patience.

I can be done, but is often a pain in the ***.
Thanks Fara. So I'd just have to look at the wiring diagrams, glean any information from the previous owner that I can, cross my fingers, and hope for the best. I have NO experience with wiring harnesses, etc, so it could be interesting...

If I got the car for $1500, I think it'd be worth it, even if I couldn't fix it myself...

Quick Reply: Non-factory alarm...car won't start.