Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of 1987 951 with 200K miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 PM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mxl - you buy the car or what? 200K is a lot of miles, but on the other hand that fact that someone kept it alive for that long is a plus (sort of).

I just want more company in my newbie status.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bumflick
mxl - you buy the car or what? 200K is a lot of miles, but on the other hand that fact that someone kept it alive for that long is a plus (sort of).

I just want more company in my newbie status.
Fwiw, there are a ton of 200k and even 300k 944/951 floating around here.

99% of the problems you see are on modified or neglected cars.

Not that hard to go this mileage on a stock car that's been taken care of!
Old 06-06-2014, 03:22 AM
mxl556
8th Gear

A lot of comments, all of them are very appreciated. I also spent quite a lot of time researching what is available for sale nationwide and looked into mods 951 in question has. I will be buying the car this weekend. We agreed on the price, which is higher than suggested $4-5K but much lower than $30K
Car comes with many valuable things (to me) and I am quite happy. Mileage does not scare me, I have almost 400K miles on my BMW (on the original motor/gearbox) and always had/prefered high mileage (but well maintained) BMW's (including M cars).
Now I need to source that timing/balance shaft belt tensioner tool... Let the fun begin.

Thanks everyone,
Max
Old 06-06-2014, 10:25 AM
bobt4945
Advanced

Default Turbo values

welcome max, good for you, enjoy your new car, i am sure you will have a positive experience with her. keep us updated with maint. and driving experiences. have a great day and GOD BLESS.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:10 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

congrats.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX1XSOzDPik&feature=kp
Old 06-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Lecrok
Rennlist Member

Good luck Max.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM
bumflick
Racer

Awesome, congrats. I am sure it will put more smiles than frowns on your face...

Welcome to newbie status.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:30 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Great news! Enjoy, OP! And welcome to the community.

OD, nice post.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:05 PM
mxl556
8th Gear

Thank you everyone. I have learned a lot about these cars this week. I have few concerns, and will meet with the seller today to do final checks/deal. Hopefully it all checks out and I will buy it.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.
Max
Old 06-08-2014, 04:36 AM
mxl556
8th Gear

Well, I spent a good amount of time looking at the car and I did not buy it... Using the information I found on this forum and clarks garage website I went and really inspected it before giving a check to the owner. Well, guess what- it was repainted many years ago. Not just repainted- change of color repainted. It used to be silver. It became obvious when I started looking inside the trunk, where the spare tire/jack is. Closer inspection- showed silver in some other places (chipped red paint), some areas underhood and signs of stickers on the doors being masked for paint. Relatively clean job it was, but the car did not turn out to be what I hoped for. Additionally, A/C has been dead for more that "a while", engine does have oil leaks, front balljoints are dead,and I hear throwout bearing at idle/ clutch out. What seemed to be clutch hydraulics (pedal did not come up all the way), possibly clutch is on it's way out?
Anyway it was hard to deliver news to the owner as he probably was not aware that the car was repainted ( hard to believe he never looked inside the trunk though). He was certain that the car is sold...
Now, I am back shopping. Looking for a NA 944 as I have a budget of $8.5K and want to find cleanest car I can. Prefer burgundy, black, white, red. No silver. Original rather than modified. I don't think I will find a nice turbo for this amount. Maybe I don't need turbo anyway and I prefer smooth power delivery (even if it's not enough power . I kind of like early dashboard, so 83-85 cars are of interest too. Need good paint/interior, all service records/history, and working A/C. Southern California area. PM me if you have anything.

Thank you much for your help.
Max
Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mxl556
Well, I spent a good amount of time looking at the car and I did not buy it... Using the information I found on this forum and clarks garage website I went and really inspected it before giving a check to the owner. Well, guess what- it was repainted many years ago. Not just repainted- change of color repainted. It used to be silver. It became obvious when I started looking inside the trunk, where the spare tire/jack is. Closer inspection- showed silver in some other places (chipped red paint), some areas underhood and signs of stickers on the doors being masked for paint. Relatively clean job it was, but the car did not turn out to be what I hoped for. Additionally, A/C has been dead for more that "a while", engine does have oil leaks, front balljoints are dead,and I hear throwout bearing at idle/ clutch out. What seemed to be clutch hydraulics (pedal did not come up all the way), possibly clutch is on it's way out?
Anyway it was hard to deliver news to the owner as he probably was not aware that the car was repainted ( hard to believe he never looked inside the trunk though). He was certain that the car is sold...
Now, I am back shopping. Looking for a NA 944 as I have a budget of $8.5K and want to find cleanest car I can. Prefer burgundy, black, white, red. No silver. Original rather than modified. I don't think I will find a nice turbo for this amount. Maybe I don't need turbo anyway and I prefer smooth power delivery (even if it's not enough power . I kind of like early dashboard, so 83-85 cars are of interest too. Need good paint/interior, all service records/history, and working A/C. Southern California area. PM me if you have anything.

Max

I think you made a great decision. Best of luck in your search!

T.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:19 AM
jimlam56
Advanced

This is a great thread for someone like me that is new to the 944 world.
I am fortunate to have 5 registered cars in my stable so I don't have to depend on my new to me 944T as a daily driver. There are a thousand things to fix/repair/replace on my car, but to me that's half the fun.
The other half is when the turbo kicks in...
Old 06-08-2014, 01:26 PM
exp951
Rennlist Member

Max
Max, it would be nice if you shared the contact information of the seller, there could be some of us interested in the car.

If you could pm the information to me it would be great
Old 06-08-2014, 04:59 PM
TurnerJ
Racer

Max

I think you will definitely be able to find a clean 944 turbo with that budget. Check out the classifieds section of this forum as there are many members with well cared for cars letting them go for too cheap.

Quick Reply: Value of 1987 951 with 200K miles