Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of 1987 951 with 200K miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 05:08 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

Sorry, but no way is this car worth even close to $8000. You can easily buy any number of 951's with the same maintenance history but half the mileage on them for that.

This car has been sitting, it's going to have maintenance needs. You can easily spend $1500-2000 on the belts/water pump alone. Then there's the fact it has very high mileage.

If the car checks out at a reputable Porsche shop that knows 951's, I'd give him $4k for it. Otherwise move along and buy one of the multiple other 951's for sale.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:21 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I own a well sorted, well optioned '87 with over 200K miles. (its in my avatar) It was repainted in 2012, is up-to-date on all maintenance, has a few mods (chipped, boost enhancer, wastegate shims), has 18" wheels from a 996 and it's only issue is a cracked dash. Honestly, the value of my car is somewhere between $8,000 and $10,000, probably on the low side of that.

So, given the maintenance needs and potential respray needs, I can't see this car being more than a $5,000 at best car. It's been sitting and chances are there are a host of other issues that yet to be discovered and haven't even been factored into the value.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:48 PM
kcoyle
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bonus12
I think its really too bad when members of our own community (I mean us, the 944 owners) always say, "oh that car is worth less because yadda yadda."
Try owning a 924, even a nice example is apparently only worth a few pizzas (no toppings) and some cheap beer.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

can I post what I'm really thinking since you asked?

or should I just smile and say something nice? well you asked....

READER DISCRETION ADVISED.

let's change your post just a touch. and make you a seller of said car instead of the buyer.

like an old pointer once fit and strong for the hunt, this one's time has passed and it's getting close to having to be put down.

at this stage, compared to their value, these cars usually cost a small fortune to keep going.... and while you go about doing it, the heart could go anytime and become a part out specimen.... it's just about there... or maybe not just yet..... you know it and everybody here knows it.... and that's why you're attempting to rid yourself of it.

man up and inject some life into your ride; keep the dream alive by installing a v8.

Porsche 4 cylinder economics simply don't work on an $1,800 dollar ride.....

but, look on the bright side,

at least with a v8, it'll make it down the road as far as you wanna go without breaking down or blowing up.

otherwise, take a thousand or two from the first sucker who offers, and be happy.

this is what I'd be telling you if you were the seller instead of the buyer.

we could get down to the details of sorting this car, but i'll leave all that to the other guys.

*and they'll be leaving stuff out.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:34 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

black944 turbo, you ask why should a 951 be worth 30k?

Because of the engineering it has, the classic style, and the brand name.
Speaking of living in a free market, which really isnt as much as you might think, we must understand the the free market doesnt always assess value correctly. Take gold for example. How long has the free market been trying to determine the price of gold?

One more thing, theres no reason for the value of other porsches to change just because the 951's value changes! It should go up! To $30k!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:25 AM
mxl556
8th Gear

Thank you for your input. It's very helpful and I really appreciate it.
I am working with the seller and knowing values (or at least a ballpark) helps.
We will see how it works out. I am pretty sure I will "officially" join this forum (and the PCA) as a 951 owner soon. Looking forward to it.

Max
Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

Originally Posted by bonus12
.....why should a 951 be worth 30k?

Because of the engineering it has, the classic style, and the brand name.
Speaking of living in a free market, which really isnt as much as you might think, we must understand the the free market doesnt always assess value correctly.... theres no reason for the value of other porsches to change just because the 951's value changes! It should go up! To $30k!!!

pardon, but your post is way off. the market makes the rules. not you or me.

the 944 in the op would barely fetch $2,000 in my neck of the woods. and only then, because someone from New Brunswick or Quebec comes down and takes it....

my friend just got a mint, 2002 996 with 27 k miles, got a full LN Engineering ims/rms/ac and all service,
and out the door for $22,000.

we're about to see a crash in marginally collectible cars.

and the 944 falls under the category of marginally collectible at best.

not the other way around.

the only money holding up the 944 market is club racing after the latest crash or thrown connecting rod.

I almost made a deposit on a 8 year old supercar [yesterday] with low miles in absolutely perfect condition selling for $40,000 in Minnesota [soft resale market].... the spyder had an original sticker price of $188,000.

the baby boomers make up a huge part of the collector car market.... as used supercars, 911s, Caymans, Boxsters, Audis, BMWs ect continue to flood the market, the 944 will continue it's decline into obscurity if not complete irrelevance, buyers will continue to spend their MONEY on the increasing numbers of absolutely fantstic/incredible cars coming available....

Lart can and should make a killing with Boxster, Cayman and 911 parts....

who wants to invest in Lart.inc?? i'm in.

and there's another huge problem: the boomers are aging and leaving the collectable car market in droves.

in real numbers, i'll wager that they easily outnumber their replacements by at least 3~4 to 1...

and who are their replacements ? that's right. the impoverished xers, nexters and millenials.

video generation flunkies with no money, scant real estate ownership or wrenching skills,
and very little if any memory or reverence for 70s or 80s cars,

the few youngsters posting on RL are rare exceptions. love you guys, but you're not typical of your peers.

prices for all collectible cars are soft. and as current trends continue, things are going to get worse.

cars from the 1930s, 40s, and 50s?? laugh my *** off.

it's not that there's a flat market ahead.... it's much worse... there's a HUGE crash coming.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-03-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Matts944
Track Day

Wow! Although mine is a NA I really did steal mine with 129k miles for $2500!
I'd say it depends on the market in your area and let him know that. Just say you wanted to be fair so you cross referenced the prices online and $X is the price you can offer. Keep in mind you went after this car. He didn't come to you so Id add a little more to the price you come up with.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

^^^ see post edit and

post #4, #9 etc, from the cars you wouldn't be caught dead in thread on the off-topic/member forum......

Rennlister's all-time favorite choice? yep; always the 944. why is this?

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ught-dead.html

for openers, the older car buying public considers the 944 to be an Audi relic from the Audi-death-car-era.

half the Porsche owners call the 944 'not even a real Porsche.'

a large portion of the Porsche market also believes the 944 to be something of a lemon.

and that's putting things mildly. many of them used to own 944s.

nobody makes the rules, but the market.... the market is Boss.

Last edited by odurandina; 06-03-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:56 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spot on, OD. It is what it is.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You can wish our cars are worth $30k, but that isn't reality. Reality is a *very* nice Turbo S can be had for $15k. All day long. That means a high mileage, non Turbo S car isn't worth a lot of money, no more than $5k and that's one in great shape/maintenance...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

A clean 944 is rare.
The number of potential buyers is closer to unobtanium!!

Originally Posted by docwyte
You can wish our cars are worth $30k, but that isn't reality. Reality is a *very* nice Turbo S can be had for $15k. All day long. That means a high mileage, non Turbo S car isn't worth a lot of money, no more than $5k and that's one in great shape/maintenance...
I know some here think the values of 944 series cars more than doubled in the last few years, and others here are in touch with reality.

You saw the my red 90 S2 that I had to practically give away five years ago for not much more than what I put into it in the last 5,000 miles.

Last night I spoke to the seller of an under 100K mile all original 944S. I told him my offer would be an insult because I am deducting from the 7,000-7500 top dollar value the cost of belts, clutch, control arms (rebuild kit + labor), and motor mounts.

Was I wrong to deduct about $3,500 from the top dollar value? Was I wrong to give him the benefit of the doubt that the rest of the car was as "mint" as described, and I should have started at less than $7000-$7500?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:29 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Agreed. That $15k Turbo S is a low mileage, papered car with ALL maintenance up to date. Basically get in it and drive it, not needing to do anything.

Otherwise the starting price for a "good" Turbo S that has some mechanical needs will be $10k and depending on what the PPI uncovers it could sell anywhere from $6-8k.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Matts944
Track Day

In my area (Florida) the market price between a turbo 944 and the NA are not that far off. $10k is a huge difference in price as far as I'm concerned and our maket is NOT reflecting anything near that.
And I'd never call the 944 not a real Porsche. I get many compliments daily and from tip to tail it's labeled Porsche. I'd say that makes it a Porsche. I may be a bit biased but if I had my choice I'd keep the car I have regardless of what problems it may have.
In the end ANY car is worth what you're willing to pay for it. You set your own market.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:59 AM
TurnerJ
Racer

If the OP could post a few pictures we could narrow down the price substantially for you.

Quick Reply: Value of 1987 951 with 200K miles