Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notchy Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Jorgen944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Notchy Gas Pedal

I recently bought an 85 944/2 with the intention of cleaning up her minor issues and using her as a reasonable summer fun car. I have searched around and haven't found much and haven't had anyone here to sit in the seat while I am under the hood to check things out. My question is when I am in the seat driving or even without the car on and push the throttle there is a very distinguished two step throttle feel. When driving the car would get up and move, when I pushed past the "notch" it would definitely change the attitude and move much more aggressively.

Is this normal? Common issue? Common former modification?

Sorry if this is common and I am just missing how it has been discussed with out new to 944 guys like me.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

does it feel like the cable is caught on something and pops free, or do you mean "theres really no power at all until i really bury my foot"?

if the latter, its because of the stupid factory throttle cam. swap to the weltmeister response cam ($28 on pelican parts) and your car will transform and be 10x more fun to drive.

the throttle cam is the #2 best way to completely change the character of the car and make it fun...#1 being the MAF kit.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Jorgen944
Advanced

If you put the pedal down there is a definite stop point, then you push further and it could feel like it breaks free and goes the rest of the way down. I will absolutely look into the new cam especially if I find that I have to replace the cable anyway. Seems like it will go well with a short shifter setup and a few little feel mods like that.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try twisting the throttle cam by hand and see if you feel it there. That will tell you whether it is the throttle cable or the throttle body.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more likely the throttle cable fraying. It is a pretty easy fix to replace it. Definiately DIY.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:17 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

With the throttle cable removed at the throttle body cam, turn the cam by hand and see if it's not smooth. Also check to verify that the alignment of the cable to the cam is a straight feed and not at an angle. While the Weltmeister cam and the MAF kit are both great mods for the car, I must suggest getting the short shifter from only944.com. This makes the car shift like it's a new car and reduces the throw of the shift lever by 30%.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:50 PM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Clean & Lube

Once you disconnect the cable from the throttle cam hold it up and drip some cable lube down the cable into the housing; it's a slow chore. Hold the end up until gravity lubes the cable in the housing. You can work the cable in and out to help ease the oil/lube down the cable-a helper can work the gas pedal while you hold a little tension on the engine end of the cable. You can buy AGS "Kable-Ease" or use motor oil.

You'll have to take things a little way apart to see the butterfly valve. Where the throttle butterfly valve "axles" go through the throttle body they may get gummed up and a spritz from the inside with Air Intake cleaner "cleans and lubricates". The rim edges of the throttle butterfly may stick in the throttle throat due to oil/carbon buildup from the oil mist sucked into the intake due to the PCV system. Again, clean it with the Air Intake cleaner; I have used B-12 brand but I expect any brand would do fine. Good luck & have fun.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Jorgen944
Advanced

Turned out to be a little alignment issue that was causing the cable to pop off the cam gear at the TB in some occasions. Aligned everything and no further issues.

Quick Reply: Notchy Gas Pedal