Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta Track Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 322 Posts
Default Road Atlanta Track Pics

I just put up a blog post regarding my recent trip to Road Atlanta with the 944 track car. There is a link on the main page of my site listed below but here is the link: http://newhillgarage.com/2014/05/09/...anta-may-2014/

It includes a bunch of photos taken by Henry at Colortechsouth.com. I think Henry does a very nice job. He is retiring from the business so I was happy to get some of his parting shots, so to speak.

Many folks ask about the cut down door. When I put in the containment seat, I found I could no longer get out through the window opening. As much as I love my car, I did not want to be in it while it burned. I cut the door down until I could get out, even with the door stuck closed. I can also rest my arm there easier while holding a cold beverage

In the next to last photo there is an image of a 944 done up in Gulf livery. That and other cars are part of an arrive and drive by Motorwerksracing.com. I'll link a picture of their car lineup, all done in interesting period paint jobs.
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Wow, six hours of track time. I would be passed out from exhaustion.

Harvey, it looks like you're getting a bit of body roll in the rear. What kind of sway bars do you have?

How do the RA-1's compare to the RR's? I run the RA-1's and am curious about the difference.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

I'm probably the wrong guy to ask about RA-1's versus RR's. But if you go to the 944Spec forum (http://www.944spec.org/944SPEC/forum) there are some very good threads about this very question. My feeling from reading the posts is that those guys like the RR's a lot. I'm still on the learning curve so they both feel awesome to me

Regarding suspension, I'm running a pretty standard 944Spec suspension. If you start with the spec limit of 30mm torsion bars in the rear, throw in the spec Koni shock requirement, and try to balance the front to rear stiffness, my research led me to pick the following:

Front springs: 350#
Front sway bar: 28mm

Rear torsion bar: 30mm
Rear sway bar: 22mm

This is the 944Spec package as sold by Paragon. Actually, the package picks the front and rear sway bars. You pick the front spring rate.

As I think I've mentioned I'm a little loose, which seems to be more entertaining than a push condition. Very controllable.

I'm not currently a big fan of super stiff suspensions, although I know a lot of people are running crazy stiff setups. In the car, the body roll is not really noticable to me.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:53 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks like fun, Harvey!

I'm heading down to RA myself in two weeks, for my first time there. I'm looking forward to it.

Any advice on what to look out for would be appreciated!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:14 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
Looks like fun, Harvey!

I'm heading down to RA myself in two weeks, for my first time there. I'm looking forward to it.

Any advice on what to look out for would be appreciated!
The walls......
Old 05-17-2014, 09:48 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Wow, six hours of track time. I would be passed out from exhaustion.

Harvey, it looks like you're getting a bit of body roll in the rear. What kind of sway bars do you have?

How do the RA-1's compare to the RR's? I run the RA-1's and am curious about the difference.
The Spec Tire for SP1 is either the RA or the RR. I use the full tread RA's as poor man's rains. Since I'm SP2 I can run Hoosiers. I tried a set of RR's and found the RR's about 1.5 seconds slower than the Hoosiers. For DE's I think the RA's are fine but will cost about 2 - 2.5 seconds a lap. The RR's are a good option & save a little $$. I run a square setup so I can rotate the tires. The Toyo's are directional so not as easy to rotate as the Hoosiers.

I get a season out of solid Zimmerman rotors. Tried drilled, slotted, cyro etc finding the solid Zimmerman's the best for me. I run the stock old style early 944 calipers with Hawk Blue pads. Big improvement came when I had custom brakes ducts fabricated for me. The air really reduced the wear and with experience I don't brake as much or as hard as I used to....respectable lap times with a legal Car are in the 1:46's but the hot shoes are 2.5 - 3 seconds quicker than that.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:07 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE

As I think I've mentioned I'm a little loose, which seems to be more entertaining than a push condition. Very controllable.

I'm not currently a big fan of super stiff suspensions, although I know a lot of people are running crazy stiff setups. In the car, the body roll is not really noticable to me.[/QUOTE]

My car was setup to control roll via the custom sway bar setup (stock mounting locations) and I do run much stiffer springs than you but still less than others. The guy that sets my car up makes sure the front is not pulled down against the stops, still has travel. I think the critical place to control roll at RA is turn 7 so you get good launch down the back straight. A car with lots of body roll and no LSD is really compromised at RA.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
The walls......
!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 AM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RA, my favorite track

Hate to see Henry putting away the camera but sounds like he wants a "normal" job for a while.

Just a suggestion, the RR's like a lot more camber than the RA1's, if switching back and forth I'd opt to run 3 to 3.5 up front and >2.5 in the rear.

First couple sets of RR's I corded the outside of the tires. Set my fastest laps there (1:44.59) just before they corded though
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by f1rocks
Set my fastest laps there (1:44.59)
Down to the hundredths, eh? Must be proud of that record!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Just a suggestion, the RR's like a lot more camber than the RA1's, if switching back and forth I'd opt to run 3 to 3.5 up front and >2.5 in the rear.

I have read the same on the 944Spec forum about the RR's liking that much camber. With my camber plates, I am able to get the front's into that range. I will definately try more camber from here forward. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Down to the hundredths, eh? Must be proud of that record!
Yes Van I am! Since I had to sit in the black flag station this year watching them all I was pleased it held up for yet another season!

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta Track Pics