Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Megasquirt is the greatest thing I've ever done to my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Just another update for anyone going this route, I've had some noise coupling issues on the 5 volt signal reference line that was injecting some noise into my powered sensors (TPS and MAP). I was seeing fluctuations of sometimes +- 1 volt. This was causing occasional glitches and minor tuning issues, I added a 470 uF 25v capacitor between the 5 volt source and the signal ground line, which stiffened the line at 4.89 volts and absorbed noise. Its better, I may still try a 1000 uF cap and see if its better yet. The MS project has taken a backseat at this moment to my current 16v conversion. It will return full force once that is finished, I will be using the factory 16v hall sensor to go to full sequential fuel and ignition. After that will be the Big Turbo project. Stay tuned folks.
you might try adding a smaller cap in parallel with the larger one to help suppress higher frequency noise. Maybe a .1 to .47uF ceramic cap with the 470uF electrolytic. Put the caps close to the point of load. .
Old 07-21-2014, 02:01 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, depends on the frequency of the noise you are seeing. Lower frequencies need larger caps, higher frequencies need small values. 1uF would probably be for the 10kHz range, you can work from there.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its pretty high frequency but without a scope, hard to say where. Should I just get lots of capa of different valuea, or is a better approach to try and build a filter by running lots of different value caps between .1 and 1000 uf together, all in parallel?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
Its pretty high frequency but without a scope, hard to say where. Should I just get lots of capa of different valuea, or is a better approach to try and build a filter by running lots of different value caps between .1 and 1000 uf together, all in parallel?
It's not really a filter unless you add a series component, but throwing caps at it can work sometimes. You need to make sure your wiring is shielded as well as possible, then add a few caps near each component that uses the 5V. Smallest value caps should be closest to the component. Having the caps as close as possible to each component is very important. This includes cutting the leads on the caps as short as possible. 0.1uF is probably much smaller than necessary for the application, I would think something in the single digits of uF would be fine. High-speed digital electronics will often use 0.01uF, 0.1uF, and 1uF caps at each component, so sticking with the idea of using decades, you could do 4.7uF, 47uF, and 470uF. Exact values don't matter.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:35 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

The noise is gone, and I am finally running all my sensor lag factors at 99, which means raw signal with zero software filtering. The final hardware filtering setup is a 470 uF cap next to the MAP sensor, a 470 uF cap on the TPS wires located at the microsquirt, and a 47 uF cap on the TPS wires right next to the sensor. All is well, I've got the low trigger point for acceleration enrichment at 15% TPSdot (thats a derivative, not a percentage!) which is plenty low for great throttle response and high enough that now with proper filtering, I'm not getting random triggers during steady state throttle. Perfect!

Last edited by Dougs951S; 03-04-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 PM
NM'87 951
Racer

i don't understand a third of what you have been talking about, but i'm intrigued enough to learn.

Sounds like the price was low AND worth every red cent.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by NM'87 951
i don't understand a third of what you have been talking about, but i'm intrigued enough to learn.

Sounds like the price was low AND worth every red cent.

Worth DOUBLE every red cent. If I did it again, I could get another megasquirted 944 sorted in a weekend. This first one took me nearly 9 months of off and on playing with it, the learning curve is....mountainous. It was all totally worth it. I am calling this project finished, moving on to better and bigger things, literally. My energy and time are now invested in finding and sorting a cheap DD N/A so that I can begin tearing down the 951 and building a Stroker 16v motor for it
The following users liked this post:
Jay Wellwood (10-06-2019)
Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 PM
zermattsilver
AutoX

This establishment offers off-the-shelf crank trigger and cam trigger solutions for our model Porsche

http://www.clewett.com/index.php?mai..._image&pID=306

http://www.clewett.com/products/adapters/944kit.jpg

However, thier engine management/ignition management solutions are stupid expensive; stay with MegaSquirt
Old 12-25-2015, 11:47 AM
944M3
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Doug, I know this is an old thread, but I know you are still active on the board (sorry about your engine).

I'm rebuilding a 951 and currently have the engine pulled, doing a complete head and reseal job. While I'm at it, I'm trying to decide on going with Microsquirt or something like Haltech Elite 1500 or Lynk as a standalone. Its my first time with a standalone but looking forward to the challenge. So question is, having worked with MS and gaining much experience, is there any feature you now "wish" you had that is not an option with an MS? Please ignore cost as a consideration. I'm interested in feature sets.

It seems that MS will definitely get the job done. And I do understand that its more of a DIY product, which I don't mind as this is my hobby. But I'm just wondering if eventually you hit a ceiling with the MS over a Haltech or Lynk for example. Is that ceiling way beyond the reach of my intended use for the car, spirited driving and occasional track day?

Thanks in advance for your reply and for posting your knowledge to a help a newbie like me.

-Juan

92 Integra
95 E36 M3
02 E46 330ci
85.5 944 NA
87 951(in the process of resurrecting)
Old 12-29-2015, 07:27 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by 944M3
Doug, I know this is an old thread, but I know you are still active on the board (sorry about your engine).

I'm rebuilding a 951 and currently have the engine pulled, doing a complete head and reseal job. While I'm at it, I'm trying to decide on going with Microsquirt or something like Haltech Elite 1500 or Lynk as a standalone. Its my first time with a standalone but looking forward to the challenge. So question is, having worked with MS and gaining much experience, is there any feature you now "wish" you had that is not an option with an MS? Please ignore cost as a consideration. I'm interested in feature sets.

It seems that MS will definitely get the job done. And I do understand that its more of a DIY product, which I don't mind as this is my hobby. But I'm just wondering if eventually you hit a ceiling with the MS over a Haltech or Lynk for example. Is that ceiling way beyond the reach of my intended use for the car, spirited driving and occasional track day?

Thanks in advance for your reply and for posting your knowledge to a help a newbie like me.

-Juan

92 Integra
95 E36 M3
02 E46 330ci
85.5 944 NA
87 951(in the process of resurrecting)

In my personal opinion, MS will do everything you need it to do. Several tuning algorithms to choose from, a dizzying array of tunable settings, several programmable outputs, wasted spark ignition for 4 individual coils, built in control of logic level coils, semi sequential injection, support for up to 8 injectors, support for an insane number of ignition trigger setups, integrated knock and overboost control, the ability to control boost electronically with a boost solenoid; and even exotic features like NOS control, 2 step launch, anti lag, ect.

It's really a very powerful hardware/firmware package and I don't think there is anything you'd need that it can't do.

It has everything any other stand alone would have, with the addition of being easier to setup and understand and having the benefit of not only tons of 944 specific documentation from myself and Michael Odonnell, but a HUGE support forum and tons of general developer documentation.

In my very honest opinion, you would be crazy to go with anything but megasquirt if you are even considering stand alone.

I am a HUGE cheerleader for the system and remember, I dont work for them nor am I affiliated in any way; except that I run it on my car and love it. I've made a handful of NA and turbo maps available for free download here on rennlist and Michael and I are always willing to lend support.

No other stand alone system available for our cars has even 1/10 of the support or documentation, and I've even told you how to tune it. If you follow the instructions I've written, a monkey could get MS running on a 944

Stop thinking and just go ahead and order a microsquirt V3 unit with the 8' terminated harness.

Then start reading here..https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...our-944-a.html
Old 12-29-2015, 10:20 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

+944, I can't really see features on other standalones that the average guy would find useful to the tune of a $500+ premium. I looked at VEMS and Haltech, but MS was the right choice for my needs as a backyard DIY guy. Hell I still haven't utilized some of the functionality, and I'm running stuff like cooling fans with it. I think the main reason for using something else is plug-and-play support, the install for MS is relatively involved but again, there's documentation. In reality, the install is your chance to incorporate whatever hardware and wiring you want which is cool.

The Microsquirt that Doug and I use is based on MS2 and is great. If you go full MS2 you can even go full sequential if you want, and add functionality for whatever you have the skill to solder and program. It's very open ended. MS3 is also out there, which adds a lot of cool stuff for more serious tuners. I'd say Microsquirt/MS2 is fine for 99% of us, but it is a high powered alternative...it's dual core and can and has a ton of features that serious racers could use. Cost is in the same ballpark as VEMS.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:49 PM
944M3
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the reply guys. I've received my rebuilt head, so will start rebuilding the engine this weekend. Will give it some thought and post my trials and tribulations, which ever product I decide on.

One more question (hoping its not a stupid one). Doug, you mention needing a wideband early in this thread. I'm assuming this is to get AFR info to better tune the car, but wouldn't the standalone already have the AFR info in the software read-out for you to tune with? (assuming that you've installed the sensor and wired it to the ecu)
Old 10-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 267 Likes on 154 Posts

Dredging up an old blast from the past.

Any update to this topic?

Old 10-08-2019, 02:56 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Dredging up an old blast from the past.

Any update to this topic?
I've got my 16v 3.0L turbo running with MS3X now. For triggering I'm using a wheel from goingsuperfast with a zf sensor (not the silver one in the pictures) from DIY autotune. That seems to be a much more solid setup than the previous hamlin sensor. I couldn't figure out how to make the stock sensors work with the ring gear on the pressure plate. My sensor uses a bracket that bolts under the a/c delete bracket and pokes into the side of the plastic belt cover. This setup without a cam sensor doesn't allow for full sequential. For ignition I use 4 LS "truck coils" running in wasted coil on plug mode in the megasquirt. The stock S2 wires clip right into the coil and I made a new wiring harness specifically for these wires. For injectors, I'm using Siemens 830cc/min fuel injectors (110324), which are high impedance with EV14 connectors. I run these in semi-sequential mode timed to fire into the open intake valve and again on the opposite cycle onto the back of the intake valve. This is how I think the 968 gets away with not needing a fuel pressure dampener as there are twice as many squirts. The stock coolant sensor was reused and there's a setting in the MS3 for the Bosch resistance curve, so that was an easy one. I use a GM intake air temp sensor plumbed into the intercooler pipe. The stock oil pressure signal voltage is too high for megasquirt so I had to reduce that and then match the megasquirt level to the gauge. Oil pressure signal can be used to trigger a warning, or a limp mode, or just for logging. For knock detection I'm using Knocksense MS which sends a knocking yes/no signal to the MS3 and the MS3 decides what to do with that info. All the engine wiring was replaced with the megasquirt harness. The basics are done this year and the car has been out on the street and to do some lapping. Next season will be wiring up the electronic boost control and some dyno tuning. The last fun part of the project is getting the Android stereo to show me a cool dash.

Name:  nT10gSFh.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  150.4 KB
Name:  7afNwqxh.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  116.0 KB
Name:  cBYrxIJh.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  159.8 KB
Name:  oT5eH5Wh.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  170.3 KB