Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Clear Turn Signals?
I would pay $40 for a pair of quality NA clear turn signal lenses.
88.46%
$40 is too much, I'd be interested at a lower price.
0%
No way, you need to make a different product first! (add a thread reply please)
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Feeler - Producing clear turn signals / other clear parts at REASONABLE prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfie308
Very true, and I'd also add 'make something that nobody else does for which there is a market'

For example, those heater/AC mounting plates?
How about a timing belt for the 968 that doesn't need replacing every 3-4 years?
Old 06-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Keith: before you start your business, read up more about pricing strategies. Here is one article of many:

http://tnw.to/f4ra8
Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need, I'm not considering this a "business".
Old 06-29-2014, 01:05 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gawernator
Lolol at Nicole. Ridiculous BS. GTFO with your jaded, jealous *** and cry somewhere else
YOU are an idiot! Nicole did no such thing. She's been a trusted and valued member of the Porsche community for years. She is honest and a Porsche owner. Not one thing she said was BS, but EVERYTHING you said is. Get your head out of your butt and grow up.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Nicole
As you may know, I used to import the clear and smoked lenses for the 928, 924, and 944/951 models until the end of 2013. And the prices you "lol" about are probably the ones I used to ask.

Note that there has always been a cheaper alternative: Clearz in Canada made the same types of lenses, and so did a few others over the years.

Why did we survive for so long? And why is the manufacturer still in business (selling through a different importer since I no longer have the time to do it)?

Unfortunately, making such lenses isn't as easy as it seems. Here are just a few of the interesting challenges you'll encounter:

- You'll have to deal with bubbles, and how to avoid them. Similarly, the silicone material occasionally does stick to the resin (when it happens, it's most often in tight corners). Then you'll have to throw away the lens you just made, and make a new cast.

- You'll have to deal with the fact that the original lenses are very cloudy, which is not obvious when they are tinted. But you'll see every flaw when you redo them in clear. We developed a proprietary solution to make them clear and glossy.

- You'll have to deal with the fact that most resins turn dull and yellow when exposed to the elements for prolonged time - even when the manufacturer claims they don't. We've seen it over and over again, and kept upgrading our materials to the latest and highest grades, to ensure our lenses stay clear and glossy.

You'll have lots of fun with the side marker lenses, and even more with the housings:

- The inside of the lenses is particularly prone to have bubbles, which will create ugly patterns that can be seen from the outside of the lens.

- One competitor was not able to make these lenses straight - when I ordered some for resale (before we made our own), the majority was buckled to the point where they were completely unusable.

- The housings are extremely challenging because of their complex shapes with the holding tabs. The latter were probably the most difficult part that we ever made. We had to rework and replace many before my manufacturer figured out how to get the mold right and keep the tabs from cracking.

- You can't heat fuse the side marker lenses and housings when they are made of resin. You'll have to find a way to glue them securely, so that they don't separate when the mounting nuts are tightened, or heat and vibration rattles them. That was probably one of the other big challenges we were facing. We had to try various adhesives before we found one that was strong enough, and provided soft foam seals and specific installation instructions to avoid the issue.

So, yes, you can make lenses easily at low cost. But coming even close to the quality of the lenses I used to import will take years of experience. And making it profitable and sustainable will take more than $40 per pair in retail price.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying; you might learn a lot of interesting things along the way. But I want to give you a realistic outlook, based on what we have been through.

Here is what happens when you don't get it right:

1. Material that wasn't supposed to get yellow (not our product)
2. Competitor's lenses (milky - you don't see any of the blue background)
3. Lenses from Germany (note the clarity)

Hope you can avoid these issues. Best of luck!
Nicole, you have to remember the 40 bucks is more than 1% of the purchase price for a lot of 944 NA guys. That's why they thought you were expensive. you had good stuff! Sorry to see you out of the business.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:36 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Nicole, you have to remember the 40 bucks is more than 1% of the purchase price for a lot of 944 NA guys.
True, good point
Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Aww... that explains why the base 944 lenses didn't sell like hotcakes. At least not in the US.

ehall: Thanks for standing-up for me! I know in my heart that I have nothing to hide. And I made sure that the community continues to have access to these products - through 928 Classics, and whatever resellers they sign-on.

Keith: Not a business? Well does that mean we should not expect you to do this for very long...? This may be a chance to learn a few things about entrepreneurship, even if it's on a small scale.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:36 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Nicole, it's so refreshing to see you post here again. You used to contribute a lot on this forum in the days when it was a real discussion forum and not an opinion forum trolled by Porvette dollies Gina
Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Gina! I'm just trying to help.

Now that I have no more commercial interest, it's a bit different. It's actually easier, because I no longer have to take into consideration what others may think.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:02 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Keith: Not a business? Well does that mean we should not expect you to do this for very long...? This may be a chance to learn a few things about entrepreneurship, even if it's on a small scale.
I agree this will be a great business learning experience. What I meant by my last post was, I am not looking at profit and logging my time as a priority. My financial life lies independent of this side project - profitability or the lack thereof will not affect me negatively, there's no pressure. (Pun intended, I'm pressure casting)
Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 AM
wolfie308
Intermediate

As Nicole has said, $40 isn't a commercially sustainable price. Just looking on eBay, you could easily spend that on the standard amber lenses even used ones!

Seems even the smallest 944 parts can easily cost more than $40 - they always do when I buy them. Don't see any relevance to the % of the car's value. What about $100+ for stainless steel sill covers that makes them 2.5% of the cars value for example.

$80-90 is not unreasonable for a high quality hand made product from my personal experience(and that's for Toyota turns)
Old 11-13-2014, 10:02 AM
wolfie308
Intermediate

Bump.....

Just out of curiosity, how did you get on with trials?
Old 11-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wolfie308
Bump.....

Just out of curiosity, how did you get on with trials?
Unfortunately, throughout the rest of my summer, my 944 was down numerous times and I was slaving away fixing problem after problem

This semester of school has kept me super busy with 18 credits engineering related classes.

But this project has been on my mind a lot and I plan on making more progress asap. I have a month vacation for Christmas and should have time, however I do have a laundry list of 944 maintenance I need to get done (including fuel tank replacement and maybe even a clutch change )...

Will keep this thread updated when progress occurs.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:02 PM
Meine44
Banned

Originally Posted by Butters944

Unfortunately, throughout the rest of my summer, my 944 was down numerous times and I was slaving away fixing problem after problem

This semester of school has kept me super busy with 18 credits engineering related classes.

But this project has been on my mind a lot and I plan on making more progress asap. I have a month vacation for Christmas and should have time, however I do have a laundry list of 944 maintenance I need to get done (including fuel tank replacement and maybe even a clutch change )...

Will keep this thread updated when progress occurs.
Glad I'm not the only engineering student slaving over 18 credits.

Only problem about Christmas break: no heat in the parents' garage. Cement gets cold after a while.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meine44
Glad I'm not the only engineering student slaving over 18 credits.

Only problem about Christmas break: no heat in the parents' garage. Cement gets cold after a while.
Phoenix weather is perfect for wrenching in the winter

Quick Reply: Feeler - Producing clear turn signals / other clear parts at REASONABLE prices