Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Clear Turn Signals?
I would pay $40 for a pair of quality NA clear turn signal lenses.
88.46%
$40 is too much, I'd be interested at a lower price.
0%
No way, you need to make a different product first! (add a thread reply please)
11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Feeler - Producing clear turn signals / other clear parts at REASONABLE prices

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Meine44
Does 928Classics offer the lenses for the 944 Turbo? Or just the 928?
You should contact Jim Doerr at 928 Classics. (www.928classics.com)

Originally Posted by HICKS
Was it explained why Nicoles business is no longer?
Hooked on Cars was a side business that I ran for about 10 years, as a service to my fellow Porsche owners. However, my daytime job became increasingly demanding, to a point where I could not provide the level of service that my customers were used to. I felt that it would be better to transfer the business to 928 Classics than risk losing my reputation in this community. I ensured that 928 Classics has everything they need to continue the business.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update, I have my pressure rig together. Won't post up pictures for fear of flames by the "experts".

Next steps, get my compressor from home (coming Thursday) and do a pressure test to make sure it all holds, then start ordering sample products and experiment
Old 06-24-2014, 09:32 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up some pics!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Here's a preview of my rig, since you asked.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2014, 10:43 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you made anything?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Phantoms
Intermediate

I don't know squat about producing these clear lenses, but I thought I would add my recent experience with mine. I bought the lenses from Klearz.

I glued them to some donor housings using UV6800 glue. You have to rough up the surface of the lens you're gluing to get a good bond (I used an x-acto knife).

I paid $40 for my lenses, and I noticed that when compared to a higher dollar lens mine are white rather than clear. One of the lenses also warped prior to installation, I heated it up with a heat gun, clamped it to a piece of wood, and let it cure in the freezer to return to straight. I also had bubbles here and there around my edges.

This picture shows my car (Blue) with klearz side markers. The red 951 next to me has clear lenses from another manufacturer, I don't recall where he got them, but he said he paid $180 with housings.

I have no idea what leads to these differences, but it sounds like nicole or wolfie308 might..... something to consider as you move into production.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Admiral, as I said in my post,

Next steps, get my compressor from home (coming Thursday) and do a pressure test to make sure it all holds, then start ordering sample products and experiment
Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Keith (Butters944):

Way to go! You are in for an interesting ride. Keep trying and learning, and keep in mind that nobody works for free - not even you...

Factor-in the cost of the original parts that you will deconstruct and use for your molds. Factor-in that you will have a percentage of rejects (wasted time and materials). Factor your time to market them, package and ship them, and do your financials. My guess is that at $40/pair you won't do it for very long.

Phantoms:

Thanks for chiming in! Your lenses look very much like the ones I show in my earlier picture, under "Other Brand".

Since you said you glued the lenses and housings together - I just want to make sure you used soft foam seals between marker lenses and body, and didn't tighten your holding nuts too much. If you didn't do this, there is at least some risk that your lenses and housings may separate and you may even lose the lens, if it happens while you are driving.

We used to sell the side marker assemblies (lenses and housings) for about $130, not $180. I have no idea what 928 Classics is charging now, or if any of my past resellers marked them up to $180. It could also be that he bought a set of four at a reduced price during my closing sale.

Considering the clarity, the ones on the red car could be the kinds that are now available at 928 Classics.

Lastly, I used to offer LEDs for the markers, because there is no incandescent bulb that comes amber or red and fits these markers. You can dip your bulbs in translucent paint (2X, at least), but then you'll have the egg yolk look.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Meine44
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicole, do you still have part numbers/sources for the LED bulbs?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Phantoms
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nicole

Phantoms:

Thanks for chiming in! Your lenses look very much like the ones I show in my earlier picture, under "Other Brand".

Since you said you glued the lenses and housings together - I just want to make sure you used soft foam seals between marker lenses and body, and didn't tighten your holding nuts too much. If you didn't do this, there is at least some risk that your lenses and housings may separate and you may even lose the lens, if it happens while you are driving.

We used to sell the side marker assemblies (lenses and housings) for about $130, not $180. I have no idea what 928 Classics is charging now, of if any of my past resellers marked them up to $180.

However, considering the clarity, the ones on the red car could be the kinds that are now available at 928 Classics.

Lastly, I used to offer LEDs for the markers, because there is no incandescent bulb that comes amber or red and fits these markers. You can dip your bulbs in translucent paint (2X, at least), but then you'll have the egg yolk look.
Thanks Nicole, I used the foam seals. And the first time around I tightened my holding nuts too much and the glue broke right away. I took them back out and re-glued. I made sure not over do it the second time around.

There is actually an incandescent amber bulb that fits these markers now. They have them at bulbtown.com item number 67na.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM
TheBlau
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would anyone here be interested in making clear ROW corner lenses for the 968? There is no specific one being made for the 968, and people have run 911 corner lenses but they fit like garbage. That's an untapped market, but they are currently sold as a full housing as opposed to just a cover.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

If Butters doesn't do them, my suggestion would be to get a group of 968 owners together, and contact Jim Doerr at 928 Classics. He can work with the vendor in Germany to get it done.

I'd say you need about 20 committed buyers to make it worth while.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

I might consider it but I'm not looking far in the future for now - need to make sure I'm not a failure
Old 06-26-2014, 05:08 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Butters944
I might consider it but I'm not looking far in the future for now - need to make sure I'm not a failure
First lesson to learn: Avoid building your business on the premise of being the cheapest - unless it is a super efficient high volume business like Amazon.com...

There are plenty of other ways to stand out: Quality, reliability, honesty, customer service, etc.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 AM
wolfie308
Intermediate

There are plenty of other ways to stand out: Quality, reliability, honesty, customer service, etc.
Very true, and I'd also add 'make something that nobody else does for which there is a market'

For example, those heater/AC mounting plates?

Quick Reply: Feeler - Producing clear turn signals / other clear parts at REASONABLE prices