Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing cam tower what tool?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 PM
OnlineAlias
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
Well I've broke all the bolts loose. Now I'm reading to see the best way to get the head off without dropping lifters. I'm hoping I can remove all but two lower bolts, back them almost all the way out, take out the inside bolts completely and tilt he head outward towards the fender then slip something underneath to stop the lifters from falling out. At least that's the plan, I have no idea if it will work.

Also I've read the new gasket must mate to dry surfaces, but if the lifters have been soaking in oil before sticking them back in won't they drip oil on he gasket when you go to put in?
Put saran wrap on the headers before lifting, that will keep oil off them. Make sure you are at TDC before lifting or putting back. Mark the location of each lifter. Lifters will come out, have a helper catch them when they do. Store the tower right side up, making sure that the oil drains before putting it back on. Put the lifters with oil in the freezer with some grease. Use the thickened oil to prevent drips, and the thick grease to hold in the lifters.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok so when I go to put the cold lifters in I just while the outside of the lifter down and rub grease on it. Or is there more to it.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

If you jack the driver side of the car only, the car will tilt and the mating surface of the cam tower will be nearly perpendicular to the ground. You can then roll the cam tower down as you remove it (like you are opening a book) and keep the lifters from falling out. When re-assembling, use assembly lube on the side of the lifters (and valve-facing button) and the lifters will stick in the cam tower without falling out when you re-install it.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok, I got the cam housing off and I'm pleased to report no lifters fell out. For that matter the gasket came off too with sticking to the head or cam housing.

However the head surface has many "dents" in it, like someone pried off the head gouging the surface. No way to emry or sand them out. I'm thinking I'm going to get some gasket sealer, fill the dents end remove the excess with a razor blade in thereby filling the voids. Is there a better way?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Dents? Can you post a picture of it?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Here is a vid
Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok I got the cam tower on, but I noticed after it was buttoned up a few drips oil under the lower bolts. So my gasket got some oil on it. How detrimental is this? I know the housing is suppose to stay dry so do I have to remove the whole thing again?
Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Sorry missed that video -- looks like someone used the back of a hammer to scrape off an old gasket. Should still seal fine with any luck. As for the drips of oil under the tower, if it just got wet when you were assembling, it should be fine. Some guys actually oil their gaskets before installing. Clean up any/all oil in the area and then drive it a few days and make sure it's still dry.

If you're saying the drips are new and coming out of the assembled motor, then it's worth confirming exactly where the leak is before tearing it apart -- and the best way to pinpoint the leak is to clean it and trace the first sign of a leak back to its source.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Oil is from assembly.

Quick Reply: Removing cam tower what tool?