Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still in my hunt for a 944

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Guy Slack
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still in my hunt for a 944

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4211256245.html

"1984 Porsche 944 Coupe 2.5 L engine, 5 speed, all original paint and interior, 88,5XX miles. The factory cloth interior is in excellent condition, all wear components are excellent or new (tires, brakes, clutch, shocks). Air conditioner and heater work well. Includes a bra and factory rock chip protection, high end audio system (Sony, JBL). Recently serviced. Carfax and title in hand, might take a partial trade. $4800 call threeoh 3 eightyseven zero 22 nineteen. Scammers don't bother. •Location: denver area"
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4170812902.html

"I originally bought this 944 with the intent of complete restoration. Unfortunately being a full time college student has put that dream on hold. I do not have to funds to go to school and get this car back to the condition it deserves. You can restore it, or quickly turn it into a track day driver, or daily drive it.

Mechanically: It runs like a champ, engine has a nice deep rumble, still has the power to burn some rubber. Has 126k original miles. I have records of the day it was imported to the U.S from Germany, in fact it's a document written in German, with the Porsche German stamps of import on it.
Transmission: flawless, shifts great, no grinding or anything, all smooth. Shift linkage on the **** is loose so the stick is a little floppy, but it didn't bother me so I never took the time to get in there tighten it up. Clutch was replaced prior to me buying it, and only has roughly 5 thousand miles on it.
Since I have had it, I've put about 2,800 dollars into it.

New:
-Full Bilstein Suspension (shocks and struts all around), less than 50 miles on them
-OEM Control arms ($500 per arm), less than 50 miles on them
Porsche grade oil 10 miles ago
Oil Filter at same time I did the oil
Tires (have about 300 miles on them)
The Good:
-Runs Strong, shifts smooth, recent clutch replacement
-clean title and history (have records)
-Power Windows
- Original records and receipts
-126k miles

The bad:
Mainly cosmetic. Has a few dings. Needs paint
Driver seat is pretty torn up on the base
Needs carpet on driver side, and trunk liner
Missing rear passenger side bumper guard ($15-$30 at a junk yard)
Audio needs to be rewired, front door speakers were cracked so I removed them.
Short in left turn signal
Right tail light is cracked
Sunroof needs a clip/hinge to seal all the way, I have it taped down so water doesn't get in.=
Geer in odometer just went out a few weeks ago, shows 125k+
Power steering leaks (I didn't mind not having power steering)
Dash is cracked (normal for 944's)

I think that is everything. Needs some work, none of which is too bad if your car savvy. I would keep it and finish it if I had the finances to do so, but I don't. They are beautiful cars and are one of the best handling cars of all time. I'm open to trades, might be able to put some cash on top depending on what you have, otherwise I'm asking $3800obo. Don't be shy, I'm a nice guy."
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4132993914.html

"I'm Selling my 1986 Porsche 944 turbo with 70k original miles. The car is in good overall shape with no mechanical problems at all. All recent maintenance has been done on the car. The car also has the Vitesse MAF, which is a $1400 upgrade. Brand new sony stereo. Just had the steering rack completely replaced, and an alignment done ($1000)

The car is pretty modified. Improved fuel flow, boost runs at 11psi, aftermarket wastegate. It has no cat, so it wont pass emissions. You can put one on for about $400.

It has some paint blemishes, two dents, small rust spot. Interior is in good shape, but shows its age.

Would be open to trade for a comparably priced jeep wrangler, atv, side by side, four wheeler, dirt bike or snowmobile. If your trade is worth more, ill bring cash.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I drove the second one, the 86 non-turbo. The shifter when in gear had all sorts of play. It was sort of nerve-racking since I was never fully sure what gear I was going into. The new suspension he put in though made it ride very firm but was pleasurable.

Not sure about the other two. What do you all think?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That turbo is beat up, I would pass. You live in Denver I assume?
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally I'd buy nearly any Turbo over a non Turbo!

If the issues are pried into the mix than any repairs will be brand new parts! I don't understand why sometimes people want to pay a massive premium for old parts that just haven't failed yet.

Other than the front end dings, I'm not really seeing "beat up" on the Turbo. Just a car that needs a little love! It has rare and desirable sport seats, and a cool paint color!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Guy Slack
AutoX

I know some on here don't like the pre 85.5's since they have older looks but honestly that is kind of appealing to me. I like that the car has period-era styling.

Do you think it's worth that much money though? 88k miles seems pretty low.

The '86 I drove had a nice strong engine with 126k and it seems to have had the most parts replaced out of all of them. It's also the cheapest but probably aesthetically needing the most work.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will find that the earlier cars are also harder to resell. They just aren't as popular and have the lowest priced for a reason.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Guy Slack
AutoX

And this guy just said he'd go as low as $1500 for his 1987 burgandy 944 w/ 136k w/ an engine knock

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/4235748043.html

need to sell this car. I moved to Colorado and I don't need a rear wheeled drive car. I'm open for trades for a Audi if you have one, send me an email.

This is your chance to own German performance on a budget. The Porsche just underwent recent Timing belt replacement and had the Fuel Injectors cleaned. This car drives like a dream and insurances is cheap. It gets 35mpg on the highway, cruses great and takes 87 octane. It is a 5speed manual and has 136K on it that you would not realize was there. There is two small dings the size of dimes and some cracks in the dashboard (typical for Porsche). If you want photo's or want to look at this amazing car please email. To be totally honest, there is an engine knock (that's why so cheap) but you can drive it until it stops and then the cost to fix is the same even if you fix it now.
NADA has the following values so your 2000 is a major value. My loss is your gain.
Name:  kMRNZdk.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  636.8 KB

Name:  dfK2orC.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  753.0 KB
Old 12-12-2013, 01:03 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cole
Personally I'd buy nearly any Turbo over a non Turbo!

If the issues are pried into the mix than any repairs will be brand new parts! I don't understand why sometimes people want to pay a massive premium for old parts that just haven't failed yet.

Other than the front end dings, I'm not really seeing "beat up" on the Turbo. Just a car that needs a little love! It has rare and desirable sport seats, and a cool paint color!
How do you identify sport seats versus regular seats? I think I might have a set, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That 86 na or the turbo are your best choices. The sloppy shifter is an easy fix.

That turbo has been for sale for about 8 months.

If you can wait another month or 2 ill be ready to sell my 88 944S then, i need a second car at the moment so i can't sell it yet. It lives down in the springs.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Guy Slack
AutoX

Originally Posted by Arominus
That 86 na or the turbo are your best choices. The sloppy shifter is an easy fix.

That turbo has been for sale for about 8 months.
Has he lowered the price at all? I don't have 5900. 4-4.5k would be about the most I could offer.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

That 86 turbo belongs to a Rennlister, which is a plus in my book.

Trying to remember who it is...

Edit: nevermind, had it confused with bonus12's car...

Last edited by Butters944; 12-12-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Guy Slack
Has he lowered the price at all? I don't have 5900. 4-4.5k would be about the most I could offer.
It was 7900 IIRC.

Thats the exact amount i intended to ask for my 944S.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Guy Slack
AutoX

Originally Posted by Arominus
It was 7900 IIRC.

Thats the exact amount i intended to ask for my 944S.
So what you're saying is...
Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Originally Posted by Guy Slack
So what you're saying is...
check your PM's. If you can wait a month or so, i should have a car to sell you
Old 12-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Ok, here are a few pictures for you. I included the intake because i replaced all of the ISV hoses and it looked nice.
Attached Images      
Old 12-12-2013, 02:18 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I still have this, but I'm not in Colorado:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-86-951-a.html

Quick Reply: Still in my hunt for a 944