Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for NIB clutch slave or rebuild kit for '88 944 TS

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013 | 10:49 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Default Looking for NIB clutch slave or rebuild kit for '88 944 TS

Does anyone have a 924S/944/S/T clutch slave [944 116 237 00] or slave rebuild kit [928 116 901 00] laying around, gathering dust?

For convenience, DC-metro location would be preferable. But if it's gotta ship, seller/vendor, I guess it's gotta ship.

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2013 | 02:43 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Long story...but, I'm geographically separated from my cars/tools, at the moment.

Working on the aforementioned TS...anyone in the DC-metro have a brake power or vacuum bleeder we could use [in exchange for food/beer] to try and rule out a bad master/slave cylinder?
Old 12-02-2013 | 02:18 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Earlier today, while bleeding the clutch on the aforementioned TS, we weren't getting much fluid volume out of the slave nipple via the 2-person, manual, method [power bleeder will be in-bound]. Looking through the inspection hole, we also noticed that the slave piston was not moving in concert with the clutch pedal. Hmmm...

Thinking we either had a great deal of air in system or something was not right, I went to the engine compartment to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir while the pedal was articulated. Result: as the pedal was depressed, the fluid level went up...and as the pedal was released, the fluid level went back down [I imagine this is not normal]. So, with each pedal stroke, it appears that instead of closing off the reservoir supply line and forcing fluid down to the slave, the master is simply pushing fluid back up [the path of least resistance] into the reservoir.

I suspect this is indicative of a piston o-ring/seal failure in the master. If this is the case, we know where to go from here.

Anyone care to concur/counter my observations/diagnosis?
Old 12-02-2013 | 07:59 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Regardless, it's good practice to replace all four items in that circuit if there is a problem with one. When one goes the others are not far behind and you are doing the job again. Also good practice to not rebuild those parts, the price differential and effort is not worth it imo, the pistons and bores also wear and those are not part of the rebuild kit.

Replace:
1. Blue flexible pipe
2. Master
3. Slave
4. Pipe from master to slave
Old 12-02-2013 | 10:32 AM
kwikt
Racer

I have a similar problem. I recently installed a new clutch kit on my 968. Bled the clutch system of course, but sometimes it seems like my clutch peddle has more play than usual...... then other times it appears to be ok. I replaced the slave cylinder about 2 years ago. Maybe the master cylinder????
Old 12-03-2013 | 12:55 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kwikt
Bled the clutch system of course, but sometimes it seems like my clutch peddle has more play than usual...... then other times it appears to be ok.
Define, more play.

Play at the top of the stroke before feeling resistance from the hydraulic system? Play along the travel of the pedal before the clutch disc engages/disengages?

Did you bleed manually, with vacuum, or with pressure? I would bleed the system again.
Old 12-03-2013 | 01:07 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Thinking we either had a great deal of air in system or something was not right, I went to the engine compartment to keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir while the pedal was articulated. Result: as the pedal was depressed, the fluid level went up...and as the pedal was released, the fluid level went back down [I imagine this is not normal].
Although I've bled my hydraulic system many times, I've always been under the car working the bleeder nipple(s).

I suspect that simply articulating the clutch pedal, in this case, or the brake pedal, should not impact the level of the fluid in the reservoir. In other words, the fluid level should remain constant, and not increase/decrease with the stroke of the pedal, correct?
Old 12-05-2013 | 08:01 PM
BCN
Intermediate

I have used this kit before with good results.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...071-0558&rt=nc
Old 12-06-2013 | 12:55 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BCN
I have used this kit before with good results.
Thanks, good data point.

And, for the benefit of future search results, this kit only applies to the clutch slave cylinder. Unfortunately, from my recent observations [2 posts above], I now suspect we have a master cylinder issue...

Quick Reply: Looking for NIB clutch slave or rebuild kit for '88 944 TS