Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Cab for the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2 Cab for the track

Can't seem to find anything on this.Anybody drive their S2 Cabriolet on the track?I have seen one but didn't get a chance to talk to the guy.I understand their is much less structural rigidity than a coupe,but how much less?I do de's and lapping days as well as leisurely driving. I haven't been able to find much info.Reason I'm asking as their always seem to be cabs for sale that seem to be in much better shape than S2's.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

You won't be allowed without a rollbar. There are rules regarding minimum height of the rollbar as well.

Personally I would not track a convertible, even with a rollbar. In the event of a rollover there is clearly less metal up there.

Take care,
Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen plenty of boxster (obviously cabs) on the track at DE events over the years.

That said....I agree with French Toast....I would not go out of my way to track a Cab S2.

THey are also worth even more than a nice S2 coupe....so why subject one to track beating if you don't have to.

There are plenty of S2 Coupes on the market that are suitable track cars.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Mueller944s2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't track a cab. Boxsters do it all the time but they were designed as cabs first. The S2 was a coupe that had the top cut off and a second floor pan welded on. The windshield is reinforced for flipping obviously, but there's just a lot of flex going on. I would never track mine.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a S2 Cab and Boxster S. You can definitely feel the difference in the way they were built like mentioned above. While I do not track my cars, I can tell from days when I feel like tackling some corners that the Boxster S has much less flex. Is it doable sure, but if you are looking for a track star, hold out for a coupe.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend of mine tracks his S2 cab. Autopower rollbar installed, but there are certain events he can not participate in that will not allow convertibles even with a rollbar. PCA is ok. His handle here I think is KCWSJim
Old 08-29-2013, 05:41 PM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys.I figured as much,would def have to weld a roll bar in for sure but coupe is the way to go for sure.I guess you have to pick one world or the other,and I'm def leaning more towards the track world.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

If you started with a cab, and didn't want to buy a new car, sure put in a rollbar and track yours. No sense to start with a cab if you don't already have one. S2 is a great track car....I can feel my coupe flexing even with a cage in it, but it has a lot of track time.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:23 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

I have a cab and have taken it to a few track events where they let me but most events require a roll bar in all 90's era cabs because there is no built in roll protection like more recent convertibles. There is a bolt in roll bar available for the s2 and 968 cab and I met a guy with it in place. I was a nice unit that had a removable harness bar that when removed allowed the back seat to be used.

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...ory_Code=AP891

Even with the roll bar they require you to run with the roof up.

According to some (I am not saying this is true but just something I heard), The cab with a roll bar installed recovers almost all of the stiffness of the coupe and actually has a small handling advantage since the centre of gravity is lower because of the floor reinforcements that put some extra weight very low down. I have no experience or proof to back this up but it does seem possible.

Either way since I love roof down driving I can see the sense in purchasing a cab and adding the bar on a car that spends more time on the street then the track.

Last edited by mhr; 09-02-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: S2 Cab for the track