Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get these lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:58 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts
Question Should I get these lights?

I was reading about how much better Euro lights are, so I think I'd like to get some. Are these what I'm looking for? Are they really that much better? Or are there other brands (I've heard Cibies are good) or types that are better?

Hella Halogen Euro Lights
Old 06-03-2001, 09:45 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your link doesn't work. But I see the Hella Vision Plus in the URL which is an inferior US DOT lamp, not an E-Code version. There is a basic Hella E-code lamp out in the market that isn't the greatest, but there is also the newer Hella H-4 Super e-code, which is good. Cibie also makes a very good E-Code which I think is better than Hella Super, but both are good and cost the same, ~ $100 a pair w/h bulbs.

Don't go buying those bogus super-duper-mega-sunblaster-ion-blue pieces of junk for your bulbs. And if you go over watt like 80/100, you are going to have to rewire with heavier gauge wires and relays to get the full extra light and prevent a possible melt down of your switches and wiring.
Old 06-03-2001, 10:04 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts
I don't know why that link didn't work; I just used the Instant UBB code button.
Anyway, I guess that these are the lights I should get:
http://www.performanceproducts.com/p...N87P8UMTNK1LN5
(I guess you'll just have to copy/paste into your browser if you want to see it.)
Also, what do these lights look like to oncoming traffic? Can they tell they're not DOT? Do they look like those Mercedes and BMW lights?
Old 06-03-2001, 10:29 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had Hella E-Code headlights on both of my 944's and my VW Jetta (conversion to round headlights like GTI & cabriolet). I have not had any problems with others except occasionally and never with members of the law enforcement community. You have to be careful about how they are aimed. I try to aim them so at a reasonable distance (50-75 feet) the beam cutoff is at about the average car's window line. These lights have a well defined top edge and they have a kick up to the right (except in Britain) side to illuminate the side of the road. The only downside I've noticed is that they sometimes don't illuminate overhead signd well. I haven't seen them from the front, but I don't think there's much difference from ordinary lights. They are not like the Litronic discharge systems, and the light is the same "color" as any halogen bulb unless you put "blue" bulbs in.
Old 06-03-2001, 11:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

It still doesn't work, comes up with several field error codes. Anyways, I'm not sure if the E-code Hellas Performance Products sells are the Supers. So make sure about that, though I would get Cibies if I were you. Try this, they have both:
http://www.seriousauto.com/lighting/headlights.htm

They look fine to oncoming traffic, even with 80 watt low beams due to the sharp cutoff and focus. And if you have them aimed properly!!!! I have been using them for 20 years and no stops or high beam flash complaints from other drivers. However, a knowledgable driver/cop behind you would be able to tell something is up due the superior illumination compared to other cars in front of you and seeing the cutoff lighting something up.

They do not look like HID (High Intensity Discharge arc lamps) that many of the new lux cars are running. If you want that look you can put in the colored H-4 bulbs but you will reduce your light output a fair amount. I wouldn't do it as it is almost as dumb as leaving black out covers on your headlights. You should be aware that cops in some jurisdictions are starting to stop and ticket cars with colored headlights as some jurisdictions have statutes against them and this gives cops probable cause to make a stop and see if the driver has been drinking, etc. As well as get some tickets written. Colored headlights are not a smart combo with a Porsche.
Old 06-03-2001, 11:47 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Tom, If you were using the older "normal" Hella E-code lenses, rather than the newer Supers, the occasional problems you had with other drivers was due to their less than great design. They didn't cut off and focus the beam as well allowing more upward lighting. That was what was bothering the occasional oncoming driver.
Old 06-04-2001, 02:51 PM
rangelica
Advanced

I replaced both the fog light bulbs and headlight bulbs with these and love them. go to:http://www.prostreetlighting.com/english/

Rick

'86 951
Old 06-04-2001, 08:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yup, those are exactly the type of lights I was warning against. Bogus marketing scam, and you got took and liked it. -g-

I especially like the part "This increased lighting from your vehicle will increase your visibility by 60%", whatever that is supposed to mean. But I guarantee it doesn't translate that you will see the road 60% better than a standard halogen (which also has Xenon in it - there is no such element as halogen). An attorney general could probably have fun with them if (s)he so chose to.

But if you like them that is fine by me.

Quick Reply: Should I get these lights?