Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you folks read?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001 | 04:56 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post What do you folks read?

This post may be slightly OT, but I was reading the thread concerning Vtec v. Craig and the subject of magazines came up. I posted there, but thought I would start a new thread out of curiousity. As I stated in the VTEC thread, I used to read all the auto rags--C&D, MT, R&T, Autoweek, Automobile, European Car, and the occasional Mopar/Elephant rag.
Since that time, I have determined that Motor Trend is just terrible, Car&Driver has a snobby, aren't-we-clever attitude running throughout, Road&Track has just deteriorated in quality(used to be my favorite), I quit reading Autoweek shortly after satch Carlson was arrested, and Automobile was simply replaced with Excellence.
I was just curious as to what all of you read for your auto-fix?
Me, I read Excellence, 911&Porsche World, Pano, occasionaly European Car, Powder, Maxim , Playboy , and Military History.

Eric I promise this is not a marketing scheme
Old 11-01-2001 | 05:07 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

VBPJ, Java Developer's Journal, Visual CPP Developer's Journal, MSDN, SQL Pro.

I grew tired of pretty much all the car rags seeing as they all seemed slanted to one particular driver type or driving style. All the stuff I espouse is from what I see at Open Track events or the like.

Hmmm, maybe that's why the stuff I say seems in such contradiction with the board.
Old 11-01-2001 | 05:08 PM
vic
Track Day

Excellence: cover to cover usually the day I get it.

Powder: much like Playboy and Maxxam, this rag just makes me dream of the unobtainable.

National Geographic: photography and writing is unmatched by any other publication.

Grass Roots Motorsports: interesting and insightful but not all directly applicable.

Mountain Bike Action: full of useless bike-geek information but for some reason I just keep thumbing through it.
Old 11-01-2001 | 05:09 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

A LONG time ago (20 yrs) I read R&T. But they only reviewed cars I would never be able to afford so I gave up on them. I read it at the news stand now...guess my income went up since then! Yes, C&D think they're such comics. Reads like it's edited by Dennis Miller. Subscriptions to Autoweek (wish I hadn't) and European Car (it's ok). I like Excellence butefore buying the Porsche I never would have read any of these. I still like Hot Rod, Street Rodder and Classic Trucks...and I'm not even a red neck!!
Old 11-01-2001 | 05:14 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Histories, philosophy, networking tech manuals, Excellence and 911/Porsche World, EVO occasionally, New York Times (hard copy), London and Bombay Times (web editions), Fine Homebuilding.

Thaddeus
Old 11-01-2001 | 05:14 PM
keith
Drifting

Books and stuff...

then,
Grassroots Motorsports and CVA (Contemporary Visual Arts).

then 911 & Porsche World, and Excellence (thumb through it to make sure there is 944 content first).

...and of course Panorama comes to the house, so I look at it as well...

Oh, and whatever other art/interior design/architecture magazines that happen to look good at the moment.

How the hell do you underline words in this BBS?
Old 11-01-2001 | 05:48 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used to read some of the visual arts stuff (since I have a BFA and all) like Art Papers but decided that I don't really like the art scene much and usually just started fights with art-farts when I was around them and in art school.

I currently read Pano, Excellence, 911 & Porsche World, Sportscar (SCCA) and Grassroots Motorsports. I stopped my subscription to European Car because they were getting to ***-kissy with their product sponsors. Their writing style was a little too metaphorically laced as well, for my taste at least.

I also don't read much regular old literature anymore because I stopped being interested in getting involved in some writers little fantasy world. But when I did read literature I liked Hemingway and Joyce and Ruarke and Faulkner and such.

History and behavioral science books on the other hand...
Old 11-01-2001 | 05:52 PM
Tabor
Drifting

I read 911 & Porsche world and Excellence.

Other than that, just books.
Old 11-01-2001 | 06:25 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

911 & Porsche World
Excellence
Panorama (only because its free with PCA membership)
Automobile
Discover
Wall Street Journal (OK, I know its not a mag.)
Old 11-01-2001 | 08:02 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...my mom bought me a 15 year subscription to Road and Track when I was 5 or 6 because I was so obsessed with cars when I was a youngin...she has since renewed it for I don't know how long. I have been getting popular science since I was 7 years old, and still get it even though I didn't re-subscribe to it after 10 years...I don't know why.

Out of no where I get this magazine in the mail every month called christophorus, and it is totally gay, even if it is about porsche. I just hope they don't expect any money out of me, because I never signed up for it.

Excellence is good...I should ask my mom for a subscription for christmas. Panorama doesn't really interest me (I think the writing is very dry), so I usually just skim it and look at the pictures. Sport compact car is a good mag, despite being about rice (they have a wicked track 914 in there this month IIRC), and is well written and has informative tech. articles. Turbo is a cool mag too.

As far as *other* magazines go, I enjoy Maxim and Playboy, and my roommate has a subscription to both plus 2 years of back issues, so I have something nice to look at every once in a while.

The funny thing is that the internet has so much more content that I usually just skip most of the magazines...one of my favorites is revvinghigh.com...it is basically non domestic car news, with a tinge of rice, and has tons of content updated daily.

So...what is everybodies favorite beers? I personally like Amstel light, St. Pauly's Girl, Becks, Bass ale, wildgoose IPA, XX, Guiness draught, and if for some reason I have to drink a domestic beer, I will drink coors light because its taste is indistinguishable from water after you have a few in you...well...yuingling is good, domestic or not...so...everybody?
Old 11-01-2001 | 08:05 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Snowball the 81 white 928:
<STRONG>1. Live young Girls - exceptional.
2. Hawk - honorable mention.</STRONG>
Bwahahahahaha! My friend is obsessed with those barely legal mags...I introduced him to hawk when we were flipping through the "adult" section of tower records, and he has had a subscription ever since. He also gets barely legal, finally legal, and one other one. He is such a pervert.
Old 11-01-2001 | 08:21 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Hey, I was just in GRM!

My 944 was featured (well, pictured) in the October 2001 issue of Grassroots Motorsports (p. 36). It was really just a photo op for an article they were doing, but I jumped at the chance to get to meet the editors, get the car photographed, and get some free track time.

The quotes they grabbed from my owner survey make me sound like a tool, but whatever. Also, the pic of my car at the top had JG driving and I'm the passenger seat. Too bad, because I certainly gave her hell when I was driving hoping to get some sweet photos published.

If I get this 951 fixed up pronto and cheap enough, it'll be down at the $2002 challenge. Otherwise I'll spectate or compete with my daytona (stupid budget) or even enter something else.

You guys in FL should check it out in January.
Old 11-01-2001 | 08:23 PM
marky522
Drifting

I have a subscription to mustang monthly for another 8 - 9 months then i'll have to renew it. I dont know what knind of porsche mag to subscribe to.

Mark
Old 11-01-2001 | 08:58 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Originally posted by ribs:
<STRONG>and one other one. He is such a pervert.</STRONG>
Is it "Just come of age"?
Old 11-01-2001 | 09:05 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

erm...I meant other ones...never heard of that one before though...any good?

Quick Reply: What do you folks read?