Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you folks read?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 06:06 AM
TimC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my post on the 2.2 VTEC or whatever -

"RIGHT, and Road & Track (read also C&D, Automobile, MT, etc) has certainly established themselves to be THE definitive source of all knowledge, automotive division.

Folks, that magazine sucks. It used to be OK, but Pete Egan is about the only reason I still pick up an occasional issue. While it's sad he went, I am glad HM III hasn't seen what the "good grey pages" now bear - each article featuring who can come up with The Month's Most Clever Metaphor and of course gems like Sam Mitani's amazing observation that he didn't like the "water-cooled Porsches" until he tried the Ruf RGT. a) How's that for jaded? b) Ever driven, or even heard of, a 924/44/51/28????

Autoweek was close but they blew it too."

So, what do I read, magazine-wise? Not much! Excellence is about it, I should subscribe as I try just to buy issues with 924 Series content, but invariably there's something interesting in just about each one (who could pass up the one with the current Ruf twin turbo on the front?). I also regularly re-read the fantastic collection _At Large And Abroad_ by Henry Manney III - an R&T publication. Truly inspired writings from one who Understood. Another great I can't pass up the opportunity to spread the good word about is _By Brooks Too Broad For Leaping_, by Denise McCluggage. Another great in the field, many fine stories, particularly about racers (and races) of the time when she was racing. Descriptions of a bygone era - stirred memories for some, a glimpse at that part of history for those just a bit younger. The piece on Fangio is amazing. So, seek these out, pour yourself a nice cuppa, and savor.

I should also mention a great online magazine - www.capitalismmagazine.com. Someone mentioned in thread about conspicuous consumption the US ideal of what being American (and a human) is really about - this website is fine indeed.

T
Old 11-04-2001, 12:22 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I subscribe to:

Excellence
R&T
C&D
Panorama
Autoweek
Automobile
European Car

Here is the problem: If I don't subscribe to all of these I'll just wind up buying them @ full price on the newsstand waiting for a plane! Every time I resolve to drop one or more it happens. There is, however, no danger of me ever buying Motor Trend.

I agree with all of the comments about the general decline of the major automobile magazines. There was a time when Road & Track and Car and Driver were page turners. But now they are generally just trying to be cute. There are some good things hidden in them though: Peter Egan is consistently one of the best writers in any magazine. I will get every R&T until he retires and turn to his column first every time. Jamie Kitman in Automobile has a twisted approach to automobiles that I enjoy.
On the strictly Porsche side, Excellence is an outstanding publication. It is one of the best source of 944 information around, even though is is balanced towards 911s. Panorama is badly written and poorly laid out - but it comes with membership so what the hell?

Roy - I wish I could get Alaskan Amber in NC - awesome beer!
Old 11-04-2001, 01:58 PM
Jim Stocks
Intermediate

Does Porsche Excellence Magazine have a web site? I don't see one listed in the magazine.
Old 11-04-2001, 02:25 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
I read:

Excellence (no reason needed)

Motor Trend (I like the pictures, don't really read it anymore

Mens Health (for the fitness shat)

GQ (for the style)

As for the **** mags, I don't need them. If you know what I mean.

Ed Devinney or Roy LaZelle

Can either of you tell me about the mag "Fine Homebuilding"? Is it for the actual builder or architect? Thanks
Old 11-05-2001, 10:32 AM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
bump
Old 11-05-2001, 10:48 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manning - IT"S TOO LATE! You are an art-fart already if you finished your BFA, hahaha! _ welcome to the club!

(you should see me at openings...)

sculpture/drawing over here.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:07 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Tim: Fine Homebuilding is aimed at craft-oriented housebuilders, architects, and advanced homeowners. Good building tech info, nice design stuff, and the word "fenestration" is pretty much banned.
www.taunton.com
Old 11-05-2001, 12:59 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

Tim: Don't know what the market for Fine Homebuilding actually is, but I have found it full of information on how to do the things, that other magazines skip over. It has a hands on perspective and no celebrity profiles. Highly recommended.
--Roy--
Old 11-05-2001, 04:31 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Keith, that's just cruel. I am not an art-fart (really, I swear).

I see you are fortunate to live in the South, did you participate in an art department somewhere? I got my BFA from The Savannah College of Art and Design in '92 after farting around in school for 8 years. Though about getting an MFA from UGA but got distracted working in a bicycle shop in Atlanta and never got around to it.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:41 PM
keith
Drifting

Yeah, started at USC (U of South Carolina - mistake) and ended up at Winthrop (great move). Got my degree finally finished BFA in '97 (took 8 years), taught at Winthrop in '98, then moved to TX to wrench on Porsches. Left TX to go to Johnson Atilier (know that one?) and got sidetracked BACK at Winthrop during the filming of a movie, and then working in the Engineering department on campus...

Haven't ditched grad school, just meandering a little...
Old 11-05-2001, 04:42 PM
keith
Drifting

SCAD in '92 - wow you got out just before things went silly there, huh?
Old 11-06-2001, 12:35 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Keith,

I was there when things started getting silly. There was a very small movement that wanted a student government and started to get up in the administrations face. As far as I was concerned I just wanted to be in an art school environment (and in the South) so that I would be motivated to finally finish up my degree. Student government was the farthest thing from my mind. But those punk-*** kids (I was about 4-5 years older than most of the folks I graduated with) saw fit to really agitate and of course the Rowans hunkered down for a fight.

Before I left, someone had set off a bomb (literally) at the door to the admin building and several teachers had been fired. The student government thugs had also retained legal council and had contacted several big papers, like the NY Times. And, best of all, my graduation was cancelled because some incoming freshmen dumbasses set off a pipe bomb in front of the Civic Center (unrelated to the student government movement, but nobody knew that at the time) where graduation was to be held and scared the administration out of holding the services.

Regardless of that and all the bad press the school got, I really enjoyed my time there and got a lot out of it. As far as I was concerned, you get out of college what you want to take from the experience. The student gov't punks just had to find something extreme to cling to, or to use as an excuse for being crap artists.

On a side note, I was also in school there in '86 when the Jim Williams stuff was happening. In the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, they make mention of a band that some friends of mine were in, A Disturbed Jennifer.

Quick Reply: What do you folks read?