Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealership rudeness stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 05:02 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face Porsche dealership rudeness stories

Went into my local dealership today for a 944 part. The parts guys were nice. Then I stopped by the new car area to check out the cars.

Man, I must be covered in a 3 inch layer of dung (all unknowing) or something, the salespeople all acted as if I was accompanied by a noisome odor. They weren't very busy (no other customers present, what with the recession and all), but they sure couldn't be bothered with me. That coffee isn't going to drink itself, after all.

One would think that somebody who drives a well-maintained older Porsche might be considered a good potential customer, but apparently not. You'd also think that friendliness wouldn't cost them anything. No dice, though. They didn't do anything overt that I could object to, but I sure left there feeling dissed and dismissed, and I certainly didn't learn anything about the cars there that might have moved me to dream a little more.

There's an old joke that goes, "What's the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine?" The joke might be usefully modified to read, "What's the difference between a Porsche dealership and a porcupine?" . (Punchline not appropriate for a G-rated site, but I'm sure y'all get the drift).

disgustedly,

Thaddeus
Old 12-15-2001, 05:07 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you should send the manager an letter, you might just get something cool.

My local Porsche dealership is also an Audi dealership. In 2000/1? they were rated the 2nd best dealership in the country (by Audi) for customer service.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:18 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
I had the same exact experience every time I went into Contemporary Cars in Orlando (Now Porsche North Orlando).

Until I met Hans (I think that was his name, if it's not it should be). He was a cool old German guy who has been selling Porsches for years. We talked for a while, he thought it was cool I lived in Germany for 8 years and drive an old Porsche. He said he used to sell my car when it was brand new...

Then he took us (my friend and I) out back to show us a Speed Yellow 2001 911 Turbo, with the yellow interior package. Just sweet. Some rich dude brought it back for them to sell on consignment when they announced the GT2 was coming out.

Then he talked about how Tiger Woods has 2 911 Turbos (not only can he golf, he has style), a 993 and 996.

Anyway, there are always the ****** in the Porsche dealerships who don't know jack except how many orders they've taken from soccer moms for a Cayanne, but youw will occassionally find a cool guy. Many of the techs are cool too, and they drive older Porsches.

Let me tell you how cool this guy was. No one ever gave us the time of day, since we were "kids". But After we looked at the 911 Turbo, he turns to me and my friend and gives us his card and says "Ven yoh make yohr virst million, call me. Nein, yoh dun't need und million dollar to buy a Porsch-A."

-Matt
Old 12-15-2001, 05:23 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are in St Paul so must have gone to Maplewood. Carousel used (maybe still does) to really take the cake and was known world wide for horrible customer service. One upset Rover customer actually started a web site to bitch and collect all the horror stories.

Years ago I had my rear quarter window trim strip start to corrode. I took it into Lynch in ChiTown to get it taken care of under the 10 year body warranty. Lynch didn't have the trim in stock, I was moving to Mpls in a couple days, so the service manager told me to take it to Carousel. Get to Carousel and they tell me there is no such thing as a 10 year warranty and to go F myself! Heck, they make money on warranty work so why on Earth would they be such ******? Had to call Lynch and get them to do whatever to slap Carousel into line and fix the thing. Which took an all of 10 minutes.
Old 12-15-2001, 05:32 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When my car was in for its 60K service the sales guys couldn't have been nicer, even giving my preteen kids hot chocolate while we waited. The service manager isn't so friendly. Go figure.
Old 12-15-2001, 06:20 PM
Kierf - ¿§?
Racer

Thumbs down

Gaudin Jaguar and Porsche of Las Vegas. The ONLY Porsche dealership in Las Vegas is pretty bad. Like you said Thaddeus, the parts folk were pretty cool, the rest of the staff must of had quite a large stick up their ***.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:03 PM
Roy LaZelle
Racer

My 89 S2 had been purchased and serviced locally at Barrier Porsche in Redmond. The parts department is great, but when I tried to get a service history, from the service department, they told me it "couldn't be printed" by their computer system (give me a break). They could look things up if I brought it in for service though. I have yet to be approached by a sales person when I walk through to the parts counter (at least 20 trips). I have not been a kid for at least 30 years, so there must be a look or smell that keeps the sales force away. --Roy--
Old 12-15-2001, 07:03 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
The only time I was ever at the Porsche dealer was when I was going around talking to body shops about paint jobs. The guy I was talking to was nice. Otherwise, I don't waste my time their.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:39 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was looking for my 968, I couldn't travel to check one out (Mom had had a stroke). So I wrote a short document listing what I was looking for, what colors were unacceptable, how many miles were OK, etc.

One of the lots I took it to was the local Porsche dealer. One sales turd was simply rude; couldn't be bothered. The gal who took the paper from me was obviously bored & just looking for something to kill time.

So when another lot found the car, I made it a point to stop by and mention that they could have had the sale & profit if they'd bothered to do a little research.... it came from another dealer less than 200 miles away.

I doubt it made them feel worse, but it made me feel better...

And the parts guys there are excellent, and friendly... seems to be recurring theme here.

Jim, who won't be buying any _new_ Porsches for more than one reason...
Old 12-15-2001, 07:56 PM
Dave
Race Car

Damian, Which dealer?
I havn't been to any of them in the 3 years I've had the car, but there's a few minor items that I think I can only get at a dealer.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:21 PM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

Unhappy

I've pretty much received the same welcome from the dealer hear in Newport Bch. I am ready to buy a new car I went in to look at a Boxster S. I'm young (which also means I have many years of buying new cars ahead) but make higher than average $'s, and would have no problem paying for it. I have never owned any car other than a Porsche (1 914, 2 951s). I've also restored 2 914-6's, a 912, and a late model Carrera with my father. I have always dreamed of buying a new one (If that's not brand loyalty I don't know what is). Anyway no one at the dealership said a word even after looking at cars for 15-20min! I left and am now looking at buying a Z06 Corvette. Not only another sale lost for Porsche, but a loyal enthusiast who would continue to buy cars in the future. Hey I like their cars but I'm not going to kiss their *** for the previledge to buy one! That's insane, they are really eroding their ensthusiast customer base, which is where the reputation really comes from. I have been around Porsche since I was born, and it feels really weird, like my family has disowned me.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:27 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Man, don't get a Z06 - Chevy will just come out with a Z07 (or something) next year that will make your Z06 worth pennies. Seriously.

You just need to go to another dealship. Or shoot, if you've got that kind of money, just order it online. Or write Porsche and tell them, I'm sure they'd like to know.

-Matt
Old 12-15-2001, 08:28 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dave, it's Paul Miller Porsche in Parsippany.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:04 PM
Tom
Pro

It isn't just Porsche dealerships. The last time I went car shopping (about 7 years ago) for a front driver for winter use, I visited the local dealer for everything European except SAAB, Porsche Audi and VW. I was looking at a 91 VW Jetta Carat. When I asked about it, they came to the immediate conclusion that I couldn't afford it (at their prices I couldn't!!). I had driven up in a not too old (84) 944 remember. Within a week I had a 90 Jetta GL from another dealer.

I've never had any negative experiences at the Porsche dealer except they tend to be on the expensive side for prices on parts.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:22 PM
Cobbs
Instructor

I dont know what it is about the parts guys but in general they seem to be pretty cool. I mean who gives you a prompt call and continues to follow up call when you can't be reached when your $4 part arrives. As far as the snotty-ness of the new car salesman. I think it is the boxsters fault somehow. I think the salesman are dialed in to the boxster crowd as their meat and potatoes sales and they can somehow sniff these guys out. If I ever have the money to buy a new P-car I am gonna go in there with a t-shirt, jeans and sneakers.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealership rudeness stories