Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealership rudeness stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 04:29 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jon,
I'm not attacking your post...I said it was a good one..And I never said anything about you being offended..Of course there is a big difference......The point I was making was to the original poster who said their "parts guys were nice" The point I am making is you said you went there to get a part. If they were nice...good...Who cares about the salesmen as per my above comments. I have gone to places was I was treated like a king and some where I was treated like a pauper. It didn't matter if I was at a ferrari dealersahip, porsche, rolex, tupperware, or 20min. oil change..and it didn't matter what I was wearing...It is a let down to see dealerships which sell cars of that caliber to be anything but polite..But don't "group" everyone together into a lump..You may miss out.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:46 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TK:

I'm glad you're not bothered by shabby treatment. That's your choice. I don't like it. That's mine.

I have self-respect and I demand to be treated with respect. I am polite and kind to people who are providing me with a service. I expect to be treated the same way. If I am not, I take my custom elsewhere. That's capitalism.

A sale requires more than a price and a product. And any salesperson worth their salt knows it.

~cheers~

Thaddeus
Old 12-16-2001, 06:01 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never said it didn't bother me..Just said I wouldn't turn down a great deal simply because of it. AND, the fact that I feel that way(yes my choice) does not mean I don't have self respect and I don't treat people properly.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:55 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, that is really wierd. The service people are really nice here too. They tried to sell me a lower radiator hose for about $65...

The sales people aren't as kind. Probably because my German is just now starting to come around. Although, I never see them talking to anyone, and I drive by there a lot!!! They actually do sell some older cars too, though they are all sitting outside .

Oh well, here is how I feel about it. If you want a new Porsche, you are probably going to have to look like you can afford a new Porsche. Don't try to be funny and go in blue jeans and tennis shoes. You should probably look professional when you are going to buy a $100k+ car...
If the salesperson has to sell you the car, then you probably didn't want it in the first place.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:20 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, my father told me a funny story.

He has a friend who's a doctor. His doctor friend always wanted a Porsche but never allowed himself to buy one (self-made guy, worked hard all his life, doesn't live extravagantly). Went on a fishing trip with his son. Sonny convinces him during the trip that he damn well deserves a Porsche, Dad, buy one!

So on the way home from the fishing trip, they stop at a Porsche dealer. They look like 2 dudes who've been in a cabin for a week, right? So of course they get treated like crap. So they drive on down to the next Porsche dealer (I think this was in Illinois or something). And they get treated well, despite the crappy clothes. And my Dad's friend buys a new Boxster. No financing; he writes a check. Done deal. And he drives his new Porsche back to the first dealer later on that week, pulls in the lot, and says: "How do you like my new Porsche?"

End of story. I don't usually believe these, they're usually just urban folklore, but my Dad doesn't lie and it was his friend.

There was a brief span of time when I tried to be a Real Estate agent (long story, don't want to go into it, I do NOT have a salesperson's personality type). But one thing they told us that stuck with me: don't EVER assume the person who is inquiring about a house can't afford it just because they don't look upscale enough. There's plenty of 'sleepers' out there who dress in clothes from discount stores and wear cheap watches and cut their own hair and so on, who are rich as Roosevelt. And there's plenty of folks out there in J Crew and T. Hilfiger and Eddie Bauer and Rolex who have negative net worth and couldn't finance a stick of gum if their lives depended on it. You just never know.

~cheers~

Thaddeus
Old 12-17-2001, 11:14 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When are dealers going to learn how to treat customers and potential buyers?? here is a brief story of how my GF was treated at the local VW/Audi dealer--In 96,she leased a 96 Jetta from the local dealer--no problems. When the lease ended in 98, she wanted a 98 Silver over black leather to replace it-the new salesman(the one she had previously had since quit) told her "they don't make that combo unless you get the VR6"--total BS--he then tried to get her to lease a red Jetta--she walked and ended up going to a dealer 45 minutes away and getting what she wanted. The original salesman called her to see if she wanted the red one, she answered "no' and when he asked why not-she explained that she had already leased the Silver/Black Jetta which "didn't exist". 2000, she goes back to the original dealer to lease an A4, she is approached by the original "red" salesman--"Can I help you?"--Her reply, "YOU can't, but another salesman can" . Gets other salesman, leases the car--very satisfied.
If anyone wants to get some (immature) revenge on the salespeople at the P-car dealer, try the doors on the showroom models--usually the alarms are set, there is nothing more annoying than a car alarm going off in a tiled, confined space .

Eric
Old 12-17-2001, 11:41 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Let me add to this thread that the service department at Don Rosen Imports near Phila. PA SUCKS - avoid them at all costs!
Old 12-18-2001, 12:40 PM
scular
Racer

Sales people for the most part are jerks. Recently at Reeves Import in Tampa I went to pickup some parts, the parts counter and the cashier is in the main Porsche showroom. The parts guy was on the phone, so I went around and looked at the new cars, a few of the sales people gave me a dirty look like, whats that kid doing in here. Anyway I got the parts from the counter a few minutes later, and went to the cashier... I pulled out a good sized wad of money and made sure the sales people saw. I could see them gulp, and start thinking what they had done.

ha, that showed them.

By the way the parts guy and cashier were very friendly and helpful the whole time.
Old 12-21-2001, 01:28 AM
sb944
Advanced

Slightly OT but anyway.

I went to the local car show with hundreds of cars on display. About half way through I noticed the words Porsche at the opposite end that I entered from so I decided to leave it til last. When I got there I wasn't upset, 911 turbo, GT2, Carrera, Boxster S,an old 356 and a bike too. I walked around for a while and then decided to call it a day. Then my girlfriend starts talking to a guy who I thought was a salesman. She explains it's my birthday so I should get let into the enclosure. He explains he's not a salesman but the owner of the Carrera, and I could come in. He let me sit in the GT2 which has fueled my love for Porsches even more. I walked around for 15 minutes checking every detail of every car. I loved it and will go back next year hoping for the same treatment.

Of course the real Porsche salesman didn't move once from his seat the whole time I was in there. Not even when I was looking at the Boxster that I could afford if I stretched things (a lot).

But it still doesn't stop me dreaming of the turbo or even a plain 996 one day.

Sam.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:11 PM
hinch951
Instructor

I had the same experience, except I was a senior in high school, and owned a 951. Every senior had to choose a senior project to do, so I chose Porsche Technology, and how it has advanced over the years. I traveled 2 hours away, and had a scheduled appointment, to do part of my video documentary there. When I got there, the assistant manager said, "We really don't have time for you today!" You can come back sometime next week. I politely said, I can't, because I'm 2 hours away. IF I was right down the street, maybe. So I just shoved my way in, sort of and found a customer service rep, to allow me to shoot some video. Real pollite guy. To make a long story short, the assistant manager, who had been an *** to me earlier, ran out to my car, and pecked on the window. He was like, sorry I was so rude, but we just had a lot to do. I said I understood or whatever, and then he handed me a Porsche Bag FULL of stuff.. 3 Porsche hats valued at 20.00 a piece. 2 tshirts...25.00 a piece...and a Polo shirt that said Porsche on it!!!!!!!!!!! all in all about over 150.00 worth of merchandise!!!!! I was real pleased after that, and sent them a thank you letter. Real nice guys!!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well all I can say is you can't judge a book by its cover.

And life is like a box of chocklits.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only dealership I ever go to for parts is Stoddard Imported Cars, Willoughby, Ohio. Everyone is always nice to me there, and they are fairly competitive pricewise for PCA members, especially when you need something quickly. Always had positive experiences there.

Then again, I don't walk around pretending to have a lot of money, hoping to get my butthole licked by a salesman, like some people seem to do for cars they can't afford....
Old 10-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I've had two kinds of experiences at the local dealership
Parts guy when I'm ordering the big vac lines for my '87 924S
"Let me seee if these parts are still in production... They are kind of old. Oh wait here they are, yes..."
Maybe I'm looking for parts a bit too 'old' for his taste. Or it's the whole "924" thing.

The people in the showroom have been pretty cool even though I'm just passing through on my way out and looking around at the shiney new models. It's been slow both times I've been there and they sat around and talked cars for awhile. Nice people, even when I'm holding a bag with new parts in it and it's obvious I'm not in the market right now.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:15 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Aristocrat Motors in Kansas City will probably get a lot of similar responses, except it seems like they have alienated most of the Porsche buyers in KC and resort to moving their allotment of Cayennes around the parking lot to make it look like they are selling. I hope they are able to make it on their Mercedes sales...

My experiences with them are very limited, due to the responses I have gotten from them. First time I went in there was to see about getting a couple of small parts for my 968. Since they didn't have them, I had to order them, no biggie, the guy behind the parts counter was nice enough, even tho I looked like I had just changed the oil in the Exxon Valdez. Go outside and a salesman was trying to sell my 968 to a couple that was looking for a cab. When I went to get in my car to drive off, he got all huffy with me and tried to stop me from getting into my car, evidently he must have thought I was a car runner or something. A couple of very sharp words from me, and he backed right off. The car, by the way, was parked in a spot labeled "customer parking".

When I returned about a week later to get my parts, a different guy behind the counter shouts back "hey, that guy with the weird old Porsche is here for his parts...". Gee, thanks for the welcome...

Unrelated to Porsches, my business partner and I had been out in Salt Lake City a few years back, and we needed to buy three trucks post haste, so we went to the local Chevy dealership. Got treated like absolute crap by the "senior sales" guy, who looked a lot like Herb Tarlick from WKRP in Cinci. On the way out the door, we ran smack dab into a guy, and told him not to bother, blah blah blah... Turns out he owned the dealership amongst other things, like the Utah Jazz basketball team, and his name was Larry Miller. He invited us back inside and up to the GM's office, and we not only bought three trucks (paid in full using our company Amex card) but got to watch the jerk grovel for a couple of minutes, before getting fired.

Regards,
Old 10-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
He invited us back inside and up to the GM's office, and we not only bought three trucks (paid in full using our company Amex card) but got to watch the jerk grovel for a couple of minutes, before getting fired.

Regards,
I hope that happens to the clown I dealt with at "GM Customer Service" (the definition of oxymoron) when the president of the UAW and GM gets the letter I am in the process of writing.

The jerk didnt bother to read a TSB that said change the crank sensors. I gave him the bulletin numbers, and an Email to me citing the TSB from the head of the Premium Motor Division saying the parts were defective. He let me drive for a month with a car that just stalled whenever it felt like it at any speed. He refused to authorize the dealer to change the part even though he had the cite to the TSB.

It stalled when I was doing about 40mph. I was driving with the baby in the back and a NY City Bus right behind me. Can you say PINTO!

Quick Reply: Porsche dealership rudeness stories