Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche dealership rudeness stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 10:28 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

My experiences run from a perfect 10 to a big fat zero....with any and all dealerships....my first car was a 1971 Volvo...in 1985....with 180,000 on it...the dealer ( parts counter) treated me as if it was a new car! More recently I walked out of a Nissan dealership where I was given the royal jerk$#$ regarding purchase of a pathfinder....wound up with an Acura MDX ( which I love) and found the dealership ( both sales and service) to be a pleasure! I have yet to go to a porsche dealership for anything for my 944, but I do not anticipate or expect anything other than attitude....it's what usually is dripping from most Car dealership employees....if only my Acura dealer would sell porsches!
Old 12-15-2001, 11:04 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Matt, yes sir!! I had the same excellent experience with Contemporary Cars in Orlando. It was the same gentleman that showed you the yellow turbo. Every time I stop by to look at the cars and dream a little he would come by, say hi, and answered any question. He has given me test drives in 993’s, Boxster, Boxster S, 996 and I have yet to buy a car!!

I was there when they were preparing to take the white 996 turbo for Tiger Woods.

I was looking for his card to get the name here, but I can’t seem to find it. Next time I stop at the dealer I will get it and post it here. It is good to share the name of the good people.

BTW – My car is finally out on the street!!!! (Knock on wood!!! ) So far it has no leaks (water or oil), alternator working!!! , engine nice and clean, new steering rack boots, all sensors replaced, and no tag L (let it expired since it was sitting for 6 months in the garage ). I will go to the tag office on Monday and renew it. But I took it out for a nice drive in a construction area (empty long straights) 110mph no problem!! (not so long of a straight… ) It is back, baby!!!!!
Old 12-15-2001, 11:48 PM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt,

I hear what your saying about the Vette, and that's why I have not done it yet(but 400+ horse is very tempting). Porsche does not treat it's older models any better these days. It all seemed to start when the C2 came out, and their ads and spokesmen bashed the torsion bar gen cars. I remember standing in the Porsche Supercar Paddock at the Del Mar IMSA race in the early nineties. A guy came up and started talking to Alwin about his 89 911Turbo. Alwin basically told the guy his car was a POS compared to the latest turbo's we were standing next to. The seemed a little offended, and I thought that was harsh but at the time did not think of it as Porsche's attitude. Ok, Then the 993 came out and they bashed the trailing arm cars. Now the 996 comes out and they bash the 993, calling it a "flexi flyer" etc.! They never used to do that, and the rapid depreciation of current models may be a result of this. Now if you register on the SUV page and you fill out the type of Porsche you have the only options are for the Carrera and Boxster. It's not just the dealers, it just seems to be Porsche's current attitude. Next the Boxster RS will come out, and they'll bash the Boxster S. It just seems like Porsche has "gone Detroit". As for me I'll probably end up with a 78-89 930. I would hate to drop 50K (Porsche or Vette) and next week have them tell me my new car is old news because now they have Model XXX, which can jump bridges, talk, fly, and make coffee for me in the morning. So I say why not buy old to begin with, and cut those arrogant bastards out of the loop.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:58 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

My only encounter with a P-dealer, or any dealer as a matter of fact, was quite encouraging, except for the prices. It was the Camelback dealer hear in AZ. Ferraris, Jags, & Porsches. I had just moved to AZ for my new job wearing a bunny suit, and I had my big ol' 7k relocation check, WOO-HOO! I'm going car shopping! Anyway, here I was 24 years old, Blue jeans&T-shirt. I walk into the P-showroom, and this very curtious guy asked me what I was looking for. I said something older maybee? He said that they usually don't keep anything to old but occasionally they get some cars if they are very rare and in mint cond. My interest in older cheaper cars didn't send him walking away. I asked about several of the cars in the lot, like the speed yellow 911 I saw. He told me all about it. Special edition, one of the last aircooled 911's, etc, etc, sticker was 250K. I asked if they had anything... cheaper? He showed me a red 968 cab, He told me it was front engine, water colled, tan leather interior, 10 speakers, previous owner took excellent care, 12k miles, Sticker was 40k. I asked what my payments would be with 7k down. He actually took the time to callculate the payments for me! OUCH! I said I still can't afford it, he answered some more of my questions and when I said I had to go, he gave me his card. He was very helpfull, and informative. In all, I got a half hour of his time. There were other customers browsing, and he didn't flee to one of them when it was obvious that he had no sale with me. I left feeling good but car-less.
Old 12-16-2001, 08:22 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Jon...
My sentiments exactly. Cut them out of the loop. I cant see buying new for the 'new cat smell' when it depreciates so much the first year. Beat 'em at their own game!
Old 12-16-2001, 09:04 AM
threesticks
Advanced

I drove my '66 911 to the local Porsche dealership here in Phoenix to pick up some parts for a customers car a couple of years ago. It was when the 993 first came out. The parts guy and the service tech that I talked with both were very good and helpful,and when I was done taking care of business I wandered out to the new car showroom to check out the new 993's. I wasn't there to buy but who knows what can happen in the future, right? I walk past two male sales men and was looking at a new 993 from a discreet distance when a woman salesperson walked over to me and invited me to have a seat and try all of the switches and buttons in the car. I told her that I was just looking but she still took the time to answer all of my questions. She even took an interest in my '66 911. I can't remember her name and I lost her card unfortunatly.
When I walked out of the showroom towards my car one of the male sales people was leaning against my 911 talking on his cell phone!! He had his backside towards me and was very absorbed in his conversation and did not here me approach and ask him to remove his postior from my new paint job. I finaly pushed on his shoulder he acted mad that I had invaded his personal space and moved a few steps away.
I told the Sales manager about the incident a few days later and he seemed to act with indifference.
I haven't been into that show room since so I don't know If She still works there.
My obersation is that most of the Parts people and the Service Techs are hands on people and take an interest in their and your common interests while the Sales people are hands in your pockest peolpe and just want your money.
Just my obersations, Threesticks.
Old 12-16-2001, 10:55 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

A salesman was leaning on your car! That's BS man, I'd fake a scratch and sue him for a new paint job even if I didn't need one. A guy who works at a dealership should know not to lean on the F***ing paint job. Maybee ask for his card and then copy it and pass them out with "bad salesman" stamped on them in red at the next PCA event. That P's me off just thinking about it. Respect, Jeez I'm only 25 and I've learned it, I guess that just goes to show the maturity level of allot of "adult" people in today's world. I'm gonna go work on my car and try to calm down.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:46 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The difference between service/parts people, and sales people, can be summed up like this.

Sales people usually get a demo car to drive around in, if they decide they would rather be driving a Lexus, they look for a job at a Lexus dealer. The true lover of the marque is the guy who's been there forever, and he's the one who will talk to you.

Service and parts people, on the other hand, are more likely to be paid at a rate where they are driving the older models, and the employee discount on parts is an important perk. They are at a Porsche dealership, because they like the cars, what good is a discount on Lexus parts.

I may be a little off here, having never worked at a car dealership, (and there are always exceptions) but a year at a boat dealer showed me a lot.
BTW, for those who don't know already, the first thing they look at as you come in the door is your shoes and watch.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:46 PM
Bob S. 1984 Silver
Pro

Some auto sales people act the way they do out of envy toward anyone who might just be able to purchase a new car. The truly excellent salespeople are those genuinely happy to see a satisfied customer. It's like that old British comedy "Are you being served".....minimum wage people vieing for that extra few pennies an hour, thinking they are better than the customers they serve. If you find a good salesperson, let your friends know. They are rare and should be cherished. If they judge me by my shoes and watch, they're in trouble...Reebocks and Timex. I didn't retire early by buying things just to impress salesmen....

Bob S.
Old 12-16-2001, 12:57 PM
Dave
Race Car

I always got a kick out of it, because I don't wear a watch. As the resident electrical/electronics guy, I got the outsider's view, and it was often good for a chuckle.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:41 PM
Todd
Racer

Talking

Jon, that post was awesome
Old 12-16-2001, 02:17 PM
Todd
Racer

Another thing...There are some dealerships where there is a constant theme throughout (ie rudeness or politeness) but mostly you are dealing with one person. Maybe they are a jerk, or maybe someone put the cigarette out on the couch and burned the house down last night just while switching insurance policys so no coverage. Maybe they just won the lottery or got news of a new baby. The point is, if you don't like the salesman find another, even in the same dealership. The main thing is to get the car at a great price, but most imprtant is folluwup service. Wander into the service dept. and talk to those guys. THEY are the ones who need to be good. After the car is sold, the the salesman is pointless. The SERVICE dept. is what matters. Look for good people there. And, don't take things so personal. If the car is good price, and service is excellent who cares if they don't like your clothes. Don't walk away on account of them. Beat them at their game.
Work at them to get what you want. Do not go to a car dealership in search of "personal approval" go to get the car you want, at the price you want, with the service you can trust..Make fun of their clothes if it makes you feel better..
Old 12-16-2001, 03:08 PM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

TK,
Exactly, but if the sales people won't service you even before they get your money, then how good will the service be after they already have it? That's my view point really. I'm not offended, just dissapointed. Big difference.
Old 12-16-2001, 04:18 PM
Todd
Racer

But....Usually......The sales people and service people are WAY different. Different rules, different interests, different personalities and diffeent motivations. Even under the same roof..
Old 12-16-2001, 04:26 PM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

TK,

Never thought of it that way, but I will now on. Kinda like discrediting a restraunt because one waiter sucks, Why? He's not the cook, and if the food and price are good, just get a different waiter and don't leave the old one a tip.

Quick Reply: Porsche dealership rudeness stories