Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Muffler recommendations?

Hi, I am thinking of swapping out my perfectly good OEM muffler on my '87 951 for something with better tone. Not going to touch anything else in the system for now. Can anybody recommend a sweet-sounding muffler, with reference to a vendor/source?

TIA

Thaddeus
Old 01-16-2002, 02:01 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Flowmaster Delta 40. Not stainless though... not sure what you're looking for there.

Check the usual suspects: Jeg's, Summit... my local muffler shops won't even look it up... your's may be slightly less useless.

Skip (just hates to see a thread go unanswered)
Old 01-16-2002, 03:30 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a turbocharged car, I have been told that a chambered muffler (flowmaster 40 series, which I had for a few months is a perfect example) can sap horsepower because it is designed to flow in pulses being released by an n/a motor, and is only efficient this way, not a constant stream of air caused by a turbocharger's hot side, as in a 951 (this is the best I understand it...I could be wrong). I noticed that my car felt *a bit* (like 5 HP, or the difference between a 75 degree day and a 90 degree day) under the weather when I got my flowmaster welded on. The difference between the flowmaster and the SFR 3" cat back exhaust was probably 20 HP at least. It was a noticable difference, judging by the butt dyno. My car never felt nearly as quick with the stock muffler, either. I would recommend against a chambered muffler.

The SFR exhaust is very very sweet sounding. If you have seen the get away in stockholm 1 video with the porsche 911, the tone (not the note...we don't have flat 6's) is very similar to the SFR set up. It is completely lacking high end tone until your motor is screaming over 5000 RPM's. It is a low and throaty tone...my favorite. It sounds mean when it idles. It sounds like a baratone screaming at mid RPM's full throttle. It is not intrusive, either. You don't notice the exhaust sound with the windows up unless you listen for it. No problems holding a whispering conversation or listening to the radio. I doubt you are going to wake up the neighbors unless you are doing full throttle take offs in your neighborhood.

While sound may come second to sight in the appearance of a car, I can't think of a better way for the $$$ to improve the the overall apprearance (sight and sound) of your car besides this exhaust. It is $250 cheaper than its nearest competitor at $500, gives you a bit of HP gain, looks really nice, but not ricey at all, and makes your car sound like it looks...mean. You can probably find the muffler by itself for $200 or so, too...its a bullit (I think...or bullet, or bullett...I'll have to check the spelling tomorrow)...but you might as well go for the nice 3" stainless steel mandrel bent tubing while you are at it (thats what I say, anyways). Good luck, let us know what you decide, and keep the chambered mufflers off the turbocharged cars!
Old 01-16-2002, 08:16 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Thank you Skip, thank you Ribs. I was a little hesitant to post the question because it's been discussed many times... but most times when people do exhaust they're doing more than I can right now, seem to at least do cat-back, etc. and the stand-alone muffler hasn't been discussed. Also I have too much else on my plate to consider more extensive replumbing. My laundry list isn't as large as yours, Ribs, but it's growing; fortunately, I start a new job next week and so I can afford to get TO them.

Sure am happy to be starting a new job. Better than my last one too, I suspect. After getting downsized from my last one, I laid out a chart and figured when things would get really tough, and one of the contingencies would've been to get rid of the 951. So, I get to keep her, and all's well...

cheers

Thaddeus
Old 01-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Ganja Porsche
Instructor

Have you considered having just a straight pipe to the tail done? Then putting a tip on it or something? I've kinda wondered what mufflerless cars sounded like myself.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:48 PM
doyle
Racer

I was very happy with the Bursch cat back system. I think it used a dynomax muffler. There was a slightly noticeable increase in power, and just a bit throatier sound. Not at all loud or obnoxious.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:56 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
www.bulletperformance.com

I have one on my 87 951 looks and sounds great.

David Floyd
Old 01-16-2002, 12:57 PM
instigator
Racer

hey Thad i just got one of dynamax's super turbo SS muffler its looks like it is constucted the same way the turbo muffler is that was used in my bursch cat bac system except its out of stainless. the sound is deep and throaty. also they had a $25.00 coupon when i got mine from a-1 perfomance http://www.a-1performance.com/
Old 01-16-2002, 01:25 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Thaddeus,

If I may offer a suggestion: Wait until you can afford a cat-back. IMHO this would be the best use of your time and money. Just a thought. After all, you said your stock one was fine.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:39 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you guys think of the B&B exhaust? Is it 3"? I know the 930 B&B stuff looks like it's of high quality.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Greg Hammond
Racer

I have the B&B cat-back on my car, and I am extremely happy with it. The sound is still rather "subdued" until you mash the throttle, but that's just how I like it.

I believe the tubing on my B&B is 2.5". It's so free-flowing that you can SEE through it when the muffler is off the car. It's baffled internally with stainless plate mesh.

Windward Performance seems to have the best price on the B&B mufflers. Not cheap, mind you. I think mine was around $650.

Greg
Old 01-17-2002, 02:48 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Thaddeus,
If you just want to have a new muffler welded in on the existing 2.5" stainless tubing I'd go for a Borla stainless Sportsman racing muffler. They come in 12" and 16" lengths and sound bad to the bone (not to loud) and are quite presentable. Only $129.99 in Summit Racing.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:14 PM
AlHugh
4th Gear

I have a FABSPEED exhaust system on a track only 951, including muffler, and think it is fine. Really can't tell if it makes more power or if it sounds different from any other system..but it works because it routes the exhaust out the back..where it belongs

I also have a FABSPEED exhaust on my 911. The sound is unreal and the quality of the system is excellent.

Quick Reply: Muffler recommendations?