Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights not retracting

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 05:38 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Headlights not retracting

Hey guys,
I've searched through a bunch of threads on here looking for something to point me in the right direction but my issue seems a bit different than most others with the headlights.

I replaced the headlights on my '87 951 the other day because I had a bulb burn out on me- no issues with the headlights functioning for about a week now. Then tonight I noticed that the lights didn't seem to give me as much light as they had been. Checked it out and the headlights don't seem to be coming up the full travel distance, which was causing the low beams to shine slightly downward compared to the norm. I tried to turn off the lights and see if that did anything and the headlights wouldn't retract back down. I know how to manually raise and lower them (had to do that a few times on my old 914) but when I lower them all the way down, the headlight motor immediately kicks on and raises them back up.

I changed all 3 of the fuses dealing with the headlights to no avail. I'm not sure if it's the switch (I don't think it is because it still works to turn the actual lights on and off) or the relay on the headlight motor, or something else. Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 AM
FjarrKontroll
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I'd try is a new motor relay, or cleaning the contacts in it if you're into that sort of thing. It can start or stop the motor as it pleases if it's bad.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM
ehokana
Pro

I figured I'd start with getting a new relay in the morning and go from there. It seems the most likely candidate to me too
Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Parawhore
Rennlist Member

Had the same problem on my old '84 NA. I had to disconnect the linkage from the motor, hand raise the lights all the way up (While the headlight switch was in the "on" position), and re-connect the linkage to the motor. They worked flawlessly after that.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM
ehokana
Pro

I'll try that next. Looked all around today and can't find anything in the travel path of the lights or any wires that they may be hooked on.

Anyone know what would prevent the lights from coming all the way up in the first place?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:36 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Try this....With battery disconnected manually wind them full up or full down, whichever is easier. Then connect the battery, switch on the ignition and try the headlight switch. It worked for me when mine went out of sync.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 PM
ehokana
Pro

Tried manually lowering them without the battery connected. The went down and, once everything was re-connected, I was able to raise them but the same thing happened again.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Ok seems like the linkage has slipped. Do as parawhore says^^. Headlights up with the switch (or half up in your case). Disconnect battery. Remove the nut that attaches the motor to the linkage and disengage link. Hand wind the lights full up and reattach the link.

The nut and link are in the center of the picture, remove the nut on the motor end of the linkage.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:35 AM
ehokana
Pro

I hope I'm not being stupid in asking how that will fix the lights so that they retract once I adjust the linkage
Old 05-11-2013, 03:40 AM
Lilja
Intermediate

You dont need to do all of that if the linkage has slipt. All you need it to reset the neutral position.
Loosen the nut on the motor and pry off the link from the motor, then turn the lights on and then off again. With the battery on put the link back on and tighten the nut.
Be extremely careful thou when youre handling the linkage with the power on, its strong enough to cut your finger off if you get caught in it.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:30 AM
szabon
Racer

Originally Posted by Lilja
Be extremely careful thou when youre handling the linkage with the power on, its strong enough to cut your finger off if you get caught in it.
AKA, don't do it with power on because it is way too easy to disconnect the battery.

Quick Reply: Headlights not retracting