Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just an idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 AM
doc_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just an idea

If I were to pick up a 951 motor, would that be a better candidate to supercharge (not installing the turbo) than a 968 motor?

I've fell in love with superchargers after my coworker took me to lunch in his Saleen and when my other coworker wanted me to drive home his Joe Gibbs Tahoe.

I've figured if I wanted to slap one on my 8v N/A it would require a new intake manifold, m90, injectors, (would go MAF) and a piggy back, but if the 951 motors are already built for forced induction (more worried about the integrity of the internals) would that be a better candidate?

I've read threads about others supercharging their N/A's, and its really inspired me to look at other options for my powertrain. I take my time and do things right, I'm not looking for a lecture on just buying a new car either
Old 05-11-2013, 01:04 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

in my personal opinion I would think the 951 motor would be a great choice since like you mentioned its designed for forced induction at the same time, superchargers take power to make power so I could see a 968 engine a good place to start since it already has reasonable power. How much power are you looking for? And what budget? Those would be some of the important questions. I considered this route before using my 951 for supercharging but decided keep it simple.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Gawernator
Racer

If you're going to that trouble, might as well supercharge a 968 engine. plus, there's already a good kit out there. I think you live in TX but here in CA we also have to deal with fuching CARB certification -_- (which this has $$$$)

http://shop.design1racing.com/PERFORMANCE_c14.htm
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd do the 968 motor - it has more torque and won't need as much boost to get to the same compression ratio.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 PM
doc_
Instructor

I had an overall budget for this car, but that went out the window long ago when I fell in love with her.

From just searching CL for the past year and a half I've seen and picked up some amazing deals. So I'm sure if I wait long enough, I can find something that I'm happy with

I would probably be happy with the power from a '68 motor, but again, I really want a SC project

I was leaning more towards the 968 since I watched a swap online and they said it was incredibly easy to do and that they were just unable to hook up the variocam. Plus I figured if Porsche ended this watercooled line, its best to start with something that came much later in life, VS trying to do the same with say a 924 motor. I just didn't know if the '68 had any quircks like the 8v N/A

What are things I should look for when shopping for a 968 motor? Is there anyway to do a compression test on a motor that isn't installed? I was thinking about how difficult it would be to just have a starter wired directly to a battery

Quick Reply: just an idea