Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people put so much effort into stereos in these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 10:59 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Why do people put so much effort into stereos in these cars?

Not ranting, just curious. These are sports cars, right? Not luxury sedans..

I prefer to listen to the car itself when I'm driving it.

Canned music is canned music, no matter how high the fidelity.

Putting 3k worth of sound equipment in a 944 doesn't seem that different to me than tricking out a Honda with anodized everything.

My 2 cents. Flame on.

Thaddeus

PS. This is a troll. I want to see how many people will now flame me even though this disclaimer is here for everybody to read. Bet I get at least one.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:09 AM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinko Communist.

Thread complete.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:12 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

I do the stereo thing because that's what I like. I also like Porsche. So I get the best of both worlds. It may not be diffent than the Honda's and their anodized everything. But, if that's what they like, who am I to criticize them?

Not intending as a flame, just my opinion. This may be a good thread!
Old 12-06-2001, 11:17 AM
TomH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, do you guys with those bass pumping stereos have a problem with your rear hatch squeeking

Or does the extra thump drown out the squeek so its not noticeable
Old 12-06-2001, 11:29 AM
vic
Track Day

People acquire enjoyment form varying aspects of their cars. That's your answer. It happens that most Porsche owners appreciate the performance aspect. Some like sound and others like them to look real pretty. As far as the ricers go, let 'em anodize whatever they like. IMO, the rice trend is great; I'd much rather see Acuras and Hondas over a bunch of lifted gas-guzzling hulking land-yachts like Excursions and Suburbans that never see mud and never tow anything.
Anyway, I was under the impression that this was supposed to be an educational forum based on tech related issues, so why troll for attention? Well, I bit. You're welcome.
Old 12-06-2001, 11:32 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I am guessing you will have to put additional braces to hold the hatch in place and no, the squeaking from the hatch is gone (or no longer heard)(heck is problably in the air, from the vibration, most of the time).

Sorry, could not resist!! Too funny!!
Old 12-06-2001, 11:33 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by TomH:
<STRONG>Hey, do you guys with those bass pumping stereos have a problem with your rear hatch squeeking

</STRONG>
The pressure from the woofers actually pressurize the hatch and prevent it from squeaking!!....

Serious answer-No.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:11 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

I'll tell you why I do it.

A: I love music, and I love bass. I'm not talking Rap, or Hip Hop or anything trashy. I'm talking about Alternative, Rock, Classic Rock, Pop. Good stuff, Live, U2 people like that. So when I drive by blastin the stereo, it's not about how I wanna blow someone's head off, it's music I'd let my kids listen to. So don't label people with loud stereo's all the same.

B: I don't just love to listen to my music, I love to FEEL IT. Nothing makes me happier than to be blasting the music, cruising through the country side with the top out, windows down and the wind in my hair. Nothing. Period.

C: My father was manager at Crutchfield for a very long time before opening his own Audio/Video company. I get good deals (very good deals), and I install only the best, clearest sounding equipment, setting it up professionaly so that the sound stays IN the car, not set up for the sound to ressonate OUT of the car. So unless I have the stereo blasting really loud, and the windows down, you won't even realize that I'm wasting away my ear drums unless you are in the car.

D: A properly installed stereo can have 1 of 2 effects. 1 - It is completely invisible to prying eyes, and therefor only there for your enjoyment of listening (this is how I like my stereo's). 2 - It can be set up as an art form, showing style and design to enhance the looks, as well as the sound of the car.

There, none of this was meant as a flame, but more on how I view music. I won't listen to ****ty sound equipment. Every vehicle I have ever owned has had a nice stereo in it (in a couple cases, worth more than the car itself), and I do this because I love music. Now, when I'm looking at tripple digits, or hard driving, the stereo generally is cut off so I can hear the car and the road. I like it like that too !
Old 12-06-2001, 12:16 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Oh yeah, I forgot...

and because the stock system is awful.....
Old 12-06-2001, 12:22 PM
Type_LT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Audiovox Rulez
Old 12-06-2001, 12:37 PM
Michael Stephenson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

Mini Van: Pretty good system w/ CD player. Really loud music all of the time.

944S2: Average system w/ CD player. Seldom have the stereo on - drowns out the sound of the engine.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:00 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even though I don't have a 944, I can see where you're coming from.

Tercel: Awesome sound system, computer-driven mp3 player, dual amped with a crossover

Galaxie: A ****ty head unit and some 6x9's in a rear deck I made. The sound of the engine is music enough. 351 CI
Old 12-06-2001, 01:00 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Cool

2 - It can be set up as an art form, showing style and design to enhance the looks, as well as the sound of the car.
I agree that a nice sounding stereo can provide pleasure. However, IMO, a bunch of heavy wooden structures, amps and speakers is never an art form, especially in a sports car. The designers pull out their hair to keep weight down, and to optimize weight distribution. A nice stereo is one thing, but why add an anchor to your car?

If I wanted to enhance the looks of my car, I'd put in some Sparco Torinos and a rollcage.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:09 PM
my944
Pro

Wink

The reason for my extensive system is very simple:

1-I enjoy listening to many types of music and want very good sound
2-I use my 944 as my daily driver and part of the experience is not always listening to the sound that it makes
3-I take long trips with my wife in it, sometimes driving 4-5 hours at a clip. Music is pretty important during a trip like this when cruising at a fast, steady pace.
4-And the biggest reason for putting in my system.....BECAUSE I CAN!
Old 12-06-2001, 01:21 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I recently put a Blaupunkt Honolulu CD receiver in the dash (replaced factory cassette) and new Blau 4x6's in the front. Total cost: about $220 from Crutchfield. This gives me pretty good sound for my taste and budget.

That being said, I agree with PrerYDoG that it is simply a wonderful thing to be cruising on the highway, top out, windows down, listening to some good tunes. (My top driving song recommendation is Red Barchetta by Rush.)

Quick Reply: Why do people put so much effort into stereos in these cars?